Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission out again

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
AKDieselMan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission out again

I had my transmission replaced by a locla Ford dealer last year about this time. Didn't last a full year, glad I went with a warrantied re-man. Is this a problem others are seeing re-mans not lasting?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
GarrettShields
Senior User
Its probably no more common than the brand new ones.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
When it gets out of warranty and breaks, maybe you should give BTS a call.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
redbull660
Senior User
Do the ford remanufactured trannys have a tag on them that says "remanufactured" because on my 2001 psd I noticed that tag on it. The pickup had 69000 miles on it when I bought it. Now it has 89000 miles on it and the front seal went out of it. It cost around $500 to get the seal fixed. I wonder if its under some kind of a warranty and they didnt tell me. what do you guys think.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by redbull660
Do the ford remanufactured trannys have a tag on them that says "remanufactured" because on my 2001 psd I noticed that tag on it. The pickup had 69000 miles on it when I bought it. Now it has 89000 miles on it and the front seal went out of it. It cost around $500 to get the seal fixed. I wonder if its under some kind of a warranty and they didnt tell me. what do you guys think.
Yeah, you got screwed. All Ford remans come with a 3year/36K warranty. No deductable, no questions, it breaks they fix it and you don't pay.

As for the remans breaking, mine went out last month. I had a leak and it turned out to be something a little more serious. Then ended up having to rebuild most of the tranny including a new TC. But deep down inside, I'm pissed I didn't get a BTS or an ATS like I should have. This wouldn't have happened had I waited a little longer.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

You also have to flush your lines and change your trans cooler for the warranty to take effect.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM
redbull660
Senior User
well I am going to call them in the morning and see if I can get my money back.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
AKDieselMan
Junior User
Checked the receipt and come to find out I took the truck in Aug 1 last year and got it back Aug 4. So just under a year. I contacted them to get an appointment to turn it in again and was told it would be August 22 because they are so backlogged. Looks like the remans aren't lasting as long as the original.

Question is what can we do to make them last longer without getting a BTS or ATS? I don't mind Ford replacing it every year but the hassle of removing the camper and being without the truck for so long causes a lot of heart burn.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by AKDieselMan
Checked the receipt and come to find out I took the truck in Aug 1 last year and got it back Aug 4. So just under a year. I contacted them to get an appointment to turn it in again and was told it would be August 22 because they are so backlogged. Looks like the remans aren't lasting as long as the original.

Question is what can we do to make them last longer without getting a BTS or ATS? I don't mind Ford replacing it every year but the hassle of removing the camper and being without the truck for so long causes a lot of heart burn.
I am not sure you can do much in that direction. Here is why. A good TC is over 1000. Lets say the trans takes a dump. There is NO good way to clean the TC of all the debris. If you don't, will it come back and wreck a new trans? The only way to clean a TC is to cut it up and wash it out. So, if you do anything else, you might as well rebuild the trans via BTS. Otherwise, run the BTS VB and live with it till you find the inconvenience outweighs the cost. I suppose a 6.0 Cooler is a good addition since you can use it for another trans if you flush it clean.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
redbull660
Senior User
Not to get off of the subject, but I run the superchips micro tuner on the lowest setting, 70 hp. I wonder if these are increasing the oil pressure in the tranny causing the seals to leak.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:13 PM
AKDieselMan
Junior User
I love my truck as much as the next guy. I will however get away from Ford and go another route if I can't get any satisfaction from them. This is the last straw, two transmissions in less than a year with no abuse. I don't exceed the load or towning specs. I'm not a lead foot and don't need to be the first to the next light. My truck is absolutely stock, and still the engine makes to much power for the transmission.

I don't have the money to cause a large stink but would consider joining in a class action suite to force Ford to make it right with all the PSD owners who are shelling out money for a third party transmission. Why should we have to buy third party products for our vehicles when the vehicle rating specs were inflated or the design inferrior? I am really getting tired of corporate america getting by with providing over priced inferior products, behind false advertisements, and not having to answer to anyone.

I really only have two complaints about my truck. Crappy brakes and inadequate transmission.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Highmark18
Senior User
Originally Posted by redbull660
Interesting, mine had the exact same thing happen, front seal went out and had to be replaced, cost me 531.00. Mine had a rebuilt put in it at 31,000 miles, and now has 94,000 miles on it. Kinda BS if you ask me, putting in a tranny that cannot handle the load the truck was meant to pull.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
AKDieselMan
Junior User
Well now anyone interested in a good 99 F250 SD? I am officially shopping around now. Got my truck back after being in the shop for a week, they couldn't duplicate the problem. I insisted they flush the transmission to detect any material in the pan or filter. Of course they didn't find any but I am betting the mechanic didn't even look at it. The oil change people probably did the service.

Drove lit ess than 50 miles same problem but reverse going out this time as well. Finally got it back last night after being in the shop for 12 days. Got almost 10 miles. Going back to work, exiting the main highway on an off ramp going uphill the truck would not stop. Acted like a stick shift when you didn't push the clutch in and tried to stop. It was locked in high and overdrive.

I have already expressed myself to the Ford Dealer ship customer service representative and the Ford Motor Company customer service representative. I am in the process of figuring out what my legal recourse is with the state lemon laws. I would like to have the local dealership just purchase my truck at fair market value so I can go purchase something that wasn't manufactured by FoMoCo. Either way there won't be another in my driveway.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
warrens250
Senior User
Originally Posted by AKDieselMan
I had my transmission replaced by a locla Ford dealer last year about this time. Didn't last a full year, glad I went with a warrantied re-man. Is this a problem others are seeing re-mans not lasting?
You have to tell us how you've used (abused?) your truck (tranny)? If you just drove it normally without towing, then please tell us who remaned it so we can avoid that shop.
Warren

Old 08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
BerkshireCoverit
Senior User
Had to replace my 2001 tranny with only 40,000 on it, was out of warranty so took it to amco transmission to have it rebuild, they completly rebuild it using better parts then ford uses in their rebuilds, now has 76,000 miles still excellent shape with no leaks,no slipping,no overheating its been two years.Cost kind of high i thought at $2,300.00 but so far so good.

Quick Reply: Transmission out again