General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Time to kill off the penny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope not, then everyone will round everything up. i like the pennies, they are great for econimic reasons, and the math part, i want things rounded to the lowest whole number.

their only excuse is that the penny is costing more to make then its worht, cry cry cry!!!! what the article fails to mention is the U.S. mint made like 700 million dollars last year! but they cry over lossing some money on the penny.

how about this, if its costing so much to make, then make it out of something else? but wait, the idiots would probably spend 20 million dollars into a study to see what material would be better.

if they will do away with the penny, they will probably spend more money on a "feasibilty and impact" study than it would on making pennies for the next 100 years.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:22 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I say it should go, I think a penny is more or less worthless.

Tim

Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Originally Posted by bf250
their only excuse is that the penny is costing more to make then its worht, cry cry cry!!!!
And that's a damn good excuse too!
It's stupid to make something that cost more to make than it's worth.

Tim

Old 07-21-2006, 06:29 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Originally Posted by bf250
how about this, if its costing so much to make, then make it out of something else?
Well, do you have any good ideas on what that would be? Do you know of anything that could be bought and then manufactured into a penny for less than a penny each?

Tim

Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
no, i am not a metalurgist, but i am sure the U.S. mint has plenty on their payroll that could figure it out.

overseas on military bases they don't use pennies and it works out fine, but i don't have to worry about the NEX wanting to round everything up anyways.

according to the article, a nickel costs more to make than its worth, do away with that also?

and if the penny is not so important, why does the IRS go crazy over a penny difference and also on the news recently a woman had her power shut off from the power company because she owed a penny on her electric bill?

and sure, we as consumers don't see a difference, but what about the millions of transactions each day from banks, investors and such? round up or down from a penny would result in millions of dollars difference either which way. who would decide which way it would to be rounded?

and as i said before, i guarentee that the U.S. mint, GOV or whatever will spend more money on the effects of taking the penny out of circulation than they would have spent on making the penny in the first place for a 100 years.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
As far as I am concerned they could do away with the penny, the nickel, and the quarter. Just go with dollars and dimes.

Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

In Japan, the store owners will give out the one yen coins as change, but they don't like to take them. I don't know if they still make them over there, but they are still in circulation. Maybe the answer is just to quit making pennies and use what's on the market. Personally, I usually throw them in a jar and when they accumulate take them to the change machine at the bank; it's like free money. Last time I did it, I got back $87 ('course there were nickels, dimes and quarters, too).

Last edited by stu37d; 07-22-2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Dang, I wouldn't be able to put in my two cents worth anymore! I would have to put in a nickels worth, I don't think i have enough brain cells left for that expenditure. Such a quandary to ponder!

Old 07-22-2006, 04:38 PM
V X
Senior User
what would happen to
"see a penny pick it up and all the day you have good luck"?

see a nickle..............................?

Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
Well, do you have any good ideas on what that would be? Do you know of anything that could be bought and then manufactured into a penny for less than a penny each?
Tim
I recall the steel pennies of WWII ... worked then. What about a metal/polymer mix?
Is the original cost really the determining factor in the overall value of the coin? An automobile loses value from the moment it is titled and continues to depreciate, but the benefits of the transportation it provides are huge and ongoing. Even the lowly penny, 1% of a dollar, serves its purpose very well and should be retained.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 PM
markgilmore1322
Senior User
Oil companies are gonna love this. . .

Old 07-23-2006, 04:53 PM
websthes
Postmaster
i like torque's idea. ten dimes to the dollar. get rid of everything else.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:35 PM
KingRachPrincess
Elder User
that's a rip off!! just like when your like 5y/o and you go to the Rain forest restaurant. wait for 1hr all excited behind a fish wall to go in there and not be able to eat cause your scared to death!! ((me and my dad had a big talk about this at McDonald's.. so don't ask.. we just decided it was a rip off. lol. bad memories.. stupid Rainforest elephants.. ))

Old 07-23-2006, 11:00 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
that's a rip off!! just like when your like 5y/o and you go to the Rain forest restaurant. wait for 1hr all excited behind a fish wall to go in there and not be able to eat cause your scared to death!! ((me and my dad had a big talk about this at McDonald's.. so don't ask.. we just decided it was a rip off. lol. bad memories.. stupid Rainforest elephants.. ))
yea..... the part in the movie "billy madison" about incoherant rambling fits well right here

Quick Reply: Time to kill off the penny?