Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Question on making transfer tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question on making transfer tank.

I had a co-worker offer to make me a custom 30 gal transfer tank for the bed of my truck, He said he can water, and air test.

My question is what should i treat the raw steel inside the new tank with or level in be. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
ideally i would like to have one that is treated with something inside to stop rust. the new tank will be good for a while, and it will not rust for a while. however eventually it will rust, and end up in a filter or a pump-even worse.

i dont know of anything aside from a roll-on bedliner to coat the inside that is fuel resistant yet sticks to metal. any opinions?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum don't rust!

Old 07-20-2006, 05:21 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
i dont think the steel tank from the factory has a problem and they arent treated. PUt a filter in the transfer line to catch anything that might crop up. Make sure you use some type of shut off valve so you dont siphon the tank.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
There's a coating that you can treat the tank with before you introduce fuel to it. I don't know the name of it, but I know there are a couple of outfits here in Seattle that pre-treat fuel tanks to help prevent the steel shell from rusting out.
That said, Hott-rod has a good point. If your friend can do aluminum, it's far better than steel.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:01 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by maevans
I had a co-worker offer to make me a custom 30 gal transfer tank for the bed of my truck, He said he can water, and air test.

My question is what should i treat the raw steel inside the new tank with or level in be. Thanks for any help.
This is a great question as i'm looking into an auxiallary tank
for my bed too. Wanting to run bio-diesel but don't have many fill up stations around. Looking for ideas on a inexpensive SAFE setup. Xtreme diesel has a toolbox/30 gal tank combo for the bed but it's $1400.
Nut

Old 07-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Nut that about what I paid for my 98 gallon transfer flow tank. I think it was about $1450.00 to my door. It's a lot of money but once it's installed in the truck you'll be glad to have it. So far the Trax-II has been flawless in it's function.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:29 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Nut that about what I paid for my 98 gallon transfer flow tank. I think it was about $1450.00 to my door. It's a lot of money but once it's installed in the truck you'll be glad to have it. So far the Trax-II has been flawless in it's function.
WOW Kwik...98 gal....do u take a second mortgage to fill up? Sounds like it belongs on a boat. I was checking out fuel cells at Jeg's ...hmmmm.
How do these transfer flows work?
Nut

Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
TRAX-II website said that it was not available for Diesel? Is that the same that you have Kwikk or did I just find the wrong one?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
JNygard
Freshman User
You need a fuel tank sealer kit to prevent rust. Eastwood sells a kit that I know of. http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...om&w=fuel+tankFor a large tank it may take multiple kits.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by PSNut
WOW Kwik...98 gal....do u take a second mortgage to fill up? Sounds like it belongs on a boat. I was checking out fuel cells at Jeg's ...hmmmm.
How do these transfer flows work?
Nut
Along with the 39 gallon main tank it's a budget busting $400.00 from bottom to top. So I usually just top it back up whenever I have to fill up the wife's car and then it's not so bad. On a vacation trip I've budgeted the fuel bill before we even leave and have the money in the account so I don't have to worry about it.
The Trax-II monitors the fuel level in the truck's main tank and keeps it at about 3/4 level all the time, pumping in 2 gallons at a time on an as-needed basis. It's all done automatically with no driver intervention at all.

Originally Posted by Medic 66
TRAX-II website said that it was not available for Diesel? Is that the same that you have Kwikk or did I just find the wrong one?
The Trax-II is for the diesel. http://www.transferflow.com/trax-ll.html

The Trax-II FMS is for the gasser engine only. http://www.transferflow.com/fuel_monitoring_system.html

Again I'll say this is not the cheapest system out there, but it is the best. Like the AIS air filter system, there is simply nothing better.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Thanks Kwik.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Car_nut57
FTE *******
See if you can find a company that rebuilds fuel tanks for old cars. These guys can properly clean and coat the interior of the tank. Years ago I had this done for an old Studebaker tank that looked to be complete junk to me, but they rebuilt it and lined it and it was just like a brand new one when I got it back.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
hott-rodd
Elder User
Kreem Brand Fuel Tank Liner
Google it, works great with gas.
I'm new to diesel so i can't say for sure it it will work.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Along with the 39 gallon main tank it's a budget busting $400.00 from bottom to top. So I usually just top it back up whenever I have to fill up the wife's car and then it's not so bad. On a vacation trip I've budgeted the fuel bill before we even leave and have the money in the account so I don't have to worry about it.
The Trax-II monitors the fuel level in the truck's main tank and keeps it at about 3/4 level all the time, pumping in 2 gallons at a time on an as-needed basis. It's all done automatically with no driver intervention at all.

The Trax-II is for the diesel. http://www.transferflow.com/trax-ll.html

The Trax-II FMS is for the gasser engine only. http://www.transferflow.com/fuel_monitoring_system.html

Again I'll say this is not the cheapest system out there, but it is the best. Like the AIS air filter system, there is simply nothing better.
Thanks for setting me straight Kwikk.

Quick Reply: Question on making transfer tank.