Sponsored by: DP Tuner

trans overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:36 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans overheating

my trans went hot when pulling a winding grade at about 15mph, called trans shop and they recommended adding an aux fan to run when pulling at slow speeds. what do you guys think and can I install a trans temp gauge pretty easily, im pretty handy, I have a 2000 f-250 psd superduty crewcab, auto trans.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your truck have a cooler in the radiator? The '99 and early 2000s didn't, and getting hot at low speeds is why they added in the radiator cooler.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
Casey does the early models have anything besides the stock radiator? I thought they had a aux cooler in the radiator.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
i checked and it does have a trans cooler between radiator and i guess ic, then it has a very small cooler right in front of everything

Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
the tranny cooler is between the ic and your ac condensor. to keep your temps down you can install an aux cooler like the tru-cool max or a new cooler altogether like one from a 6.0 liter. the guage is very simple to istall there is a test port on the side of the tranny that the guage just plugs into. my opinion is you should install a full set of guages like a pyro and boost guage along with your tranny guage to keep a good eye on your engine. the cooler in front of everything is your power steering cooler. i put the tru-cool max in my truck and i havet seen temps for my tranny over 150. you can get it at www.dieselsite.com

Old 07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Sale is over but if you look out you can get something like this for under $125.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Casey
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by indebt
i checked and it does have a trans cooler between radiator and i guess ic, then it has a very small cooler right in front of everything
But does it have a cooler INSIDE the radiator? If not, you're going to get a hot trans in low speed, high load conditions.

The '99 and early '00 trucks didn't have a cooler INSIDE the radiator. A lot of transmissions burned up, and Ford added the cooler back INSIDE the radiator.

The very small cooler out front is the power steering cooler.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indebt
my trans went hot when pulling a winding grade at about 15mph, called trans shop and they recommended adding an aux fan to run when pulling at slow speeds. what do you guys think and can I install a trans temp gauge pretty easily, im pretty handy, I have a 2000 f-250 psd superduty crewcab, auto trans.
The transmission shop is correct!! You need a fan to push or pull air over the tranny cooler at slow speeds. I drive extensively on steep desert dirt roads (steep enough I have to be in four wheel drive with a 5000 pound camper onboard) and I had a tranny heating problem. I added a TruKool and it helped (never got above 140 or so on the highway, pulling over 10K pounds) BUT if I was pulling at very low speeds (5-10 mph) it would still run up to 200 degrees (on hot days)...I added a thermostatically controlled fan and there is no problem anymore...170 degrees maximum pulling anything, anywhere, at any time, at any speed...You absolutely need a tranny temp gauge and it is extremely easy to install.