1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Sound system forces axle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:19 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sound system forces axle?

I was messin' around on the Ford site tonight, building a Ranger Sport. Anybody have the slightest clue why if you opt for the Tremor 510-watt MP3 sound system it forces you to get the 4.10 non-limited slip axle? I'd love to know how the sound system forces you to change axles.

I'll install my own and keep the limited slip, thank you.

RP
Zach

Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think b/c the Tremor pkg. changes your wheel size also. You go from a 15" wheel to a 16" wheel.
Mayybe?

Last edited by FTE Trigger; 07-18-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:51 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
looks like it changes your payload pkg. as well.....

Old 07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
I didn't notice the payload package or wheel package, probably because I already had those. I just thought it was funny I told it I wanted a sound system and the little message pops up that says "This will force a change to your current selection: 3.73 Limited-Slip Axle Ratio (8.8")"

Tremor explains it, thanks guys. Sure seems dumb though...

RP
Zach

Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Wink

I hate those lit'l prompts...

To go a lit'l off topic.... upon playing with the builder a few times... I noticed that the Ford BYO let me build std. cab XLT with a 4.0L. w/out shooting the prompt for making it a SC.
Shortly after that I built a F-250 Supercrew (yes im looking again) it gave me a prompt at the "vehicle summary" mentioning some sort of website "Technical Difficulty"..

Old 07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
bigdavesohc
Elder User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
I was messin' around on the Ford site tonight, building a Ranger Sport. Anybody have the slightest clue why if you opt for the Tremor 510-watt MP3 sound system it forces you to get the 4.10 non-limited slip axle? I'd love to know how the sound system forces you to change axles.

I'll install my own and keep the limited slip, thank you.

RP
Zach
Just because those who have the Trmor package are stereotyped as people who have good sound systems only drive on the street. An open differential has the best street manners and the 4.10 gears help you go faster. Just a thought. I have the Tremor sound system and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Besides, it will give me the opportunity to put a locker in the rear.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Alan D.
Posting Guru
Because a good soundsystem cant go off road according to ford, and should not enertaine you if your pull/moving something. they are only for those poeple who race the truck.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
For racing the truck...a 4.10 seems useful for that lol.

RP
Zach

Old 07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
bigdavesohc
Elder User
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
For racing the truck...a 4.10 seems useful for that lol.

RP
Zach
Precisely that. Also, they had a certain option package:

4dr extended cab
4.0L V6
Automatic tranny
4.10 gears w/ open diff
16" wheels w/ 245/75-r16 tires

and in later years (03 and up):
4x4 and stepside bed.
If you got the Tremor package, it came with all tha, in addition to the 510 watt stereo. The earlier Tremors had a 450 watt and the newer ones have 550 watt. My '04 has the 510 watt.
The Tremor is based on the Edge, so the official Ford paperwork says Edge. There are no Edge stickers or badging anywhere (I think).
It's my opinion that the only Rangers that are better equipped from the factory are the FX4's and the FX4 Level 2's. If they had the Tremor audio system, I would buy a Level 2 in a heartbeat.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Indeed....I'd love that options package and I'd end up replacing the stereo anyways, I just found it funny that selecting the stereo made you change your axle choice.

RP
Zach

Old 07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Level2
Posting Guru
I have a level 2 with a much better sound system than a Tremor. I drove a 04 Tremor a few times when I was a salesman and it sounded pretty good for a factory system but it wouldnt hold a candle to my 2 12" Boston Acoustics G51244 subs and my RF amp so I'm glad I got the level 2.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Yeah even with the Tremor one of the first things I'd be doing was rip it out for something better. Stock just can't compare.

Level2, how'd you get 2 12"s in?

RP
Zach

Old 07-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
I wouldn't pay extra money for any factory radio, unless it was in a Benz or BMW.

Get the base radio, then rip it out and buy an aftermarket head unit and speakers. If you install it yourself, you'll probably end up saving money over the factory setup and it'll sound light years better.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bart99GT
Get the base radio, then rip it out and buy an aftermarket head unit and speakers.
Right on. That was the first thing we did to my truck and our GMC. Our Silverado we left alone, it had the premium full component system, sounds good, no reason to replace it, we just added an 8 inch sub and called it a day.

I know the Tremor is a big advertisement thing for them. And for the day to day person, they'd love it. But for many of us, it's just not loud or clear enough to be good. We expect a better level, a level only we can achieve by doing a sound system designed to meet OUR desires, not the desires of a general group.

RP
Zach

Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 PM
bigdavesohc
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bart99GT
Get the base radio, then rip it out and buy an aftermarket head unit and speakers. If you install it yourself, you'll probably end up saving money over the factory setup and it'll sound light years better.
There is one advantage, though, it is covered under warranty. If you replace the stereo, the aftermarket one isn't covered. I'm really satisfied with my Tremor because I'm not really good in the stereo department and this was already installed and designed to work together. I haven't a clue on how to build a stereo. Also, the Tremor has a rear seat delete, so telling people I can't cart their *** around is a big pleasure.

Quick Reply: Sound system forces axle?