Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Powerstroke vs. Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uuummm if thats all thats wrong with the chevy front end, how come all the big time pullers put dana 60's under the front of them? D-max's arent bad motors now that they finally worked out all the bugs, i just dont care for them. IMHO if your going to soup up the truck and use it to tow, buy a cummins, if your just going to tow with a chip, the powerstroke will do just fine. Or if you want the best of both, buy a obs powerstroke and stick a 12 valve cummins in it.... lol

Old 09-19-2006, 11:05 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FarmboyAC
Uuummm if thats all thats wrong with the chevy front end, how come all the big time pullers put dana 60's under the front of them? D-max's arent bad motors now that they finally worked out all the bugs, i just dont care for them. IMHO if your going to soup up the truck and use it to tow, buy a cummins, if your just going to tow with a chip, the powerstroke will do just fine. Or if you want the best of both, buy a obs powerstroke and stick a 12 valve cummins in it.... lol
Yea I agree, What gets me is you pay $35,000-$50,000 for a pickup with a diesel and why can't you buy the truck and spec. it with what engine and trans you what. Just like the real trucker do. If that was the way you could buy a truck FORD would be the only truck SOLD. I bet most would have CUMMINS in them.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:38 PM
FarmboyAC
Senior User
I agree completely Kermmydog

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
If a heavy duty truck rides like a chevy does, it's going to have problems holding a heavy load or trailer because the springs are not strong enough. The Cummins is OK, Duramax is made by Isuzu and sucks. Aluminum heads and block on a diesel are a bad combo. I never liked the 6.0 Powerstroke. The 6.9 and 7.3 are really good engines. The Torqshift tranny us the same concept as the Allison only made with better parts and in Fords design, because they cant use the exact same tranny, call it something different and claim more power.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:21 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
If the Powerstroke had a higher compression ratio like the Cummins, it would haul some serious *** and trailer weight.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
socalfurnow
Senior User
final word? unlikely

To throw it all into the mix - there is a posting in the Superduty section of Stock Truck pull results that went largely unoticed/not discussed. Stock Fords outpulled the stock competition. Talk what you want about theoretical advantages, different tranny, company bias or whatever. Stock blue oval did better. Yes a short pull but a common measure of stock trucks pulling under similar conditions. Suspect there was some variety in spec but enough trucks across the board should still give an indication.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:24 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jerme
I think he wants to go a little faster than 16 mph though...
Actually got up 40mph! Impressive Ford!!! Like to see other brands do that.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
I got nothing against Ford. Never have never will. ford will always be my hard working pickup and serve me well untill I'm dead. You will never see me in anything but a Ford.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
well that posting on the pulls must have been the old 300 520 spec duramax vs the 325 PSD. Because the new LBZ 360hp will out pull everything stock.

Sorry truckguy, you know absolutely nothing about the duramax. The aluminum heads and the cast block problems have been almost nonexhistant. The PSD has had more head problems than the Max. Also, go to duramaxracing.com or mcratracing.com and go take a look. there are very very few people that have switched out a IFS system for a SFA system. Like i said, if you put on tierod sleeve, the truck front is strong. A friend of mine just put $25,000 into a duramax motor. It is probably pushing 900rwhp. In 2 weeks, he went through 3 ATS performance built transmissions.

Just because something rides soft, that doesn't mean it can't handle a load. BTW since when did you hook a load to the front of truck. The only application that requires a load on the front suspension is a snowplow. So if you put a snowplow on the front, you have to crank up the torsion bars. So what. And it will be hard on the front shocks. But to say the front end is weak, it is not true. My whole family is in the excavating bussiness, and in the winter we plow snow with big boss poly V plows on CCLB trucks. So if the front was weak, we would have seen it.

BTW their are trucks that are running 600rwhp through the stock injector, turbo and heads. Guess what, they don't leak. I have seen no proof of anything bad that you have said about the duramax. You can find a handfull of problems if you look, but to make a mass generalization, you are wrong about the whole thing.

If you have anything else bad to say about the duramax allison combo, let me hear it.

Otherwise I think I will stand by the emunds review that was posted on here previously.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by truckguy300
If a heavy duty truck rides like a chevy does, it's going to have problems holding a heavy load or trailer because the springs are not strong enough. Under the same load, the ford sages just as much as the GM if not more. The Cummins is OK Ok compared to what????? The Cummins is the motor that everything is measured against., Duramax is made by Isuzu and sucks. It was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, which means GM owns atleast half of Isuzu, and it is made and assembled in Ohio furthermore. Aluminum heads and block on a diesel are a bad combo. Where have you been? The duramax has had practically zero problems with the aluminum on cast. You can't say that for the powerstroke with cast on cast. I never liked the 6.0 Powerstroke. Agreed. The 6.9 and 7.3 are really good engines. Agreed for their time. But they still won't compete on the same level as the old 12 valves when modded. The Torqshift tranny us the same concept as the Allison I heard that was true, but no proof. only made with better parts and in Fords design Once again, Ford had problems and recalls on internal parts on this tranny., because they cant use the exact same tranny, call it something different and claim more power.
So in summary, I don't see where ford shined. Esp over the duramax.

BTW the sled pull must not have had any stock 06 LBZ duramaxes in it, because the new one cleans house. The strokers should have won, they are heavier and had more hp. LOL But the 06 LBZ really does out pull the others stock for stock. I have seen it. BTW I am going to another pull this weekend, I'll be sure and get results.

And I'll also be sure and count the number of weak IFS to SFA GM conversions esp those running in the Unlimited Class. LOL

Old 09-19-2006, 11:43 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duramaximizer,
The only thing I have heard about the Chevy/GM truck is in pulling, with stock front ends torque the front end so hard they break. I haven't heard how the new Ford with their junk looking front ends hold up.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM
P51D Mustang
Elder User
We had an 03 Dodge 3500 that we replaced with a 06 PSD F350. Both 4x4, six speeds. We also still have two 12V Cummins trucks, both ton 4x4, five speeds. Now those older Dodges are great trucks.

We were really dissapointed in the newer body style Dodge. The cab and the frame were inferior, basically cheaper, than the older Dodge trucks. Cross winds were sucking the tops of the doors open. The only thing the newer truck had over the 90's Dodges was better brakes.

The 06 Ford is superior on all these counts: Frame, suspension, cab, brakes, and so forth. It's a better, tougher, truck, than both the curent Dodge, and the current Chevy. Period. The front end is holding up fine, and we have to use it in such rough terrain that it destroys batteries, and knocks the cranks of welding machines out of alignment. Chevy front ends simply don't hold up as well as the Fords or the Dodges out in that terrain. We have seen it alot.

The 6.0 PSD seems to have virtually no low end grunt compared to the Cummins. You simply must shift it alot more is the result. The 6.0 isn't designed to be lugged. We havn't had any problems, even with injectors on the PSD (knock on wood LOL).

Both our 12V Cummins can get 20 mpg empty. Put a big trailer on them and it drops them to about 14, though. The most mpg we ever got out of the 03 Cummins, was 14, no matter what. I think the newer EPA rules have screwed up the newer Cummins. The 06 PSD is getting around 18, loaded or empty, and regardless of cruising speeds.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:29 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
So in summary, I don't see where ford shined. Esp over the duramax.

BTW the sled pull must not have had any stock 06 LBZ duramaxes in it, because the new one cleans house. No, because they don't want to buy everybody with a Duramax a new drive train. The strokers should have won, they are heavier and had more hp. HP is only good once you get going. Torque is what matters more when pulling. LOL But the 06 LBZ really does out pull the others stock for stock. I have seen it. BTW I am going to another pull this weekend, I'll be sure and get results.

And I'll also be sure and count the number of weak IFS to SFA GM conversions esp those running in the Unlimited Class. LOL
The torqshift Tranny has problems because it's new. Especially in 03-04.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
barry1me
Senior User
I design exhaust systems for the big three, so my opions are based off from people that work in the industry or first hand experience in testing. My managers husband is the lead engineer for Ford and a little birdy has told me that they cant even do a complete durability cucle without having a breakdown on the 6.0L. All three are nice truck they all have there problems. My brother has a Dmax and he loves it 180K miles never had one problem and has been chipped since 20K miles. I hear the cummins is a great running engine, but from my expierence with 04-06 trucks its the rest of the truck that has a lot of problems. I like the looks and the toughness of a Superduty, but I would never spend my hard earned money on any 6.0 powerstroke. I would buy a 99-03 7.3L and put some money in my pocket before buying a 6.0L.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
Good thinking. I'd like an 86 6.9 diesel and a 97 7.3.

Quick Reply: Powerstroke vs. Cummins