Broke My Distributor!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:51 PM
markjw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke My Distributor!

The thing was stuck,Bad.The motor hasn't ran for years. Probably still no excuse..Just bought a Petronix Igniter for that Distributor,too...I tryed to pry against it using a pry bar against the manifold,well it didn't take a whole lot of that. The bowl part seperated from the shaft part. So, I tore the thing down to just the shaft and was able to get a small pipe wrench on it. A minute later it was out.It's a little late but for future reference, anyone got a trick on gettin em out?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 PM
mswift
Senior User
I had one stuck on me a couple years back, on a FE motor. What I did was pulled the hold down fork and sprayed a bunch of aerocroil around base where it enter block and let it sit a day. The dizzy was an old one and I didn't plan on using it, but I took a rag, wrapped around housing and took a pair of vise grips and clamped around rag and gave it a wack with the palm of my hand and it broke free. I worked it a bit back and forth, while pulling up also and it finally broke free.

Not much you can do once the o-ring has dried up around the block.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 PM
markjw
Senior User
I wish now I would have had a little more patience..I planned on using this one...I even thought about letting her soak in oil...I'll sure do it next time...This is a 351m that some previous owner shoe-horned into my '72 Bronco....I checked ebay for a replacement, no luck...I'll try NAPA tomorrow...Hey, I know a guy that lives in Rose Valley. His name is Scot Thompson...We work Tugs together out on the Columbia..

Old 07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
mswift
Senior User
I grew up in the valley, ain't ever heard the name. However, RV has been getting so big hear lately with new houses going in. You guys work for Brusco? You bout where he lives in the valley?

I've got a '69 that the previous owner shoehorning a 400 in it. Does your motor seem to sit a little high in the engine compartment? Mine sure does. The smae 5 blade fan seems to onlt be about 2-3 inches from the top radiator hose.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 AM
markjw
Senior User
We work for Tidewater..Coming from town,when you get to the first little store,turn right,go about 300 yards,his house is on the left...He has a late eightys Dodge sittin in the driveway.Usually full of garbage.I have only been to his house and only know that part of Rose Valley...He's been there for years and years i'm pretty sure..Yeah,my bronco has a mandatory 2 1/2" body lift and a hood scoop...That part kinda sucks. But, the 351m is a dandy torque motor.Kinda heavy thou.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 AM
mswift
Senior User
Yeah, that's the only store out there. He lives on Fishpond then. I know about where. Must be just before you drop down the hill. I don't recall a dodge thou. There's a blue (i believe 74) F250 right around in there too.

Yeah, I'm quite impressed with my 400 in my '69. It's my wood hauler and play toy. On occasions, she goes out in the mud on the property when beers are involved. 4spd 3.73 posi. Slap that thing in 4 low, grab granny and she goes places. I can actually get out and walk faster than the damn thing.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 AM
markjw
Senior User
Fishpond,thats right..His wife has a really cool '55 vw beattle sittin in the garage, looks brand new.They got a Big German Sheperd that doesn't think much of me. Scot's a really nice guy, loves to talk about that old Dodge..Got a four four something or rather in it..Drives it twice a month to the dump.. Knee deep in the bronco project, gotta find another Dis. tomorrow.....Back to the boats on Saturday for another two week hitch.Talk to ya later.