Sponsored by:

A new vid, headers, snorkle and d-shaft loop ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new vid, headers, snorkle and d-shaft loop ??'s

So had another mud bog on saturday, ended up getting 2nd place in one of the classes, i was only the second guy to make it through the pitt (the guy that beat me had a drive through run cause the pit dried out), but yeah it was also my first run with the new headers that i built and they made a noticeable difference aside from making me go deaf , heres the video of me making it through the pitt for the first time, it was a good 4ft deep in the deep end too:

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/...y/media/403259

And here's the headers, they wee painted ford blue, but it wasn't a high enough temperature paint, but oh well, they still get the job done:

Lastly, i want to build some driveshaft loops so when i do finally bust a d-shaft i don't break 10 other things in the process. Now i have a bunch of ideas on how to do it but i'm not sure on the best way to go about it, and really i'd like to here and see some ideas on the best way to do this, and i also got a my filter housing for my snorkle i'm going to run, i'll get a picture of it posted up in a bit.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 PM
RotGrubestier44
Elder User
The best way I've seen is to actually build 3. One near the front, one in the middle, and one in the rear. Have the loop about 2" out away from the shaft all the way around, and supported in 4 places from above (obviously). The reason being, you can never predict where your shaft will break. Usually its at one of the U-Joints, but sometimes it twists in half, or snaps the splines if its a slip shaft.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Not to contradict, but I think that one high and one low would do as long as its a one piece.

video is too far away to tell whats going on... but I like the headers.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeahi have crossmembers running between my leaf spring hangars that would be a prime place for a loop in the middle of the shaft (good idea as now that i think of it thats where you'll most likely twist a tube after denting it or something without knowing (ie when loading up the truck on the trailer and the ramps slip or something).

As far as building the loops down on the axle, i'm thinking coming off the diff cover or something but i'm unsure of where to run the supporting arms to the loop around the dshaft.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The pimp method (I'll be doing this soon too) is to run two small rods on either side of the driveline parallel to each other. These rods will be connected on the axle and x-case end with small heims, and at some point will have a slip joint to account for articulation. You then weld your driveshaft rings between these rods, which will support your driveline in case of failure. I don't have a pic but its basically the same style monster trucks use. Pretty easy to make and you can incorporate a lower yoke guard into the mount if you want too.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
genius.. that is pretty pimp

Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Actually you know what, i never throught of doing a full lenght loop, i have the rod/square tubing i can do it with too, wicked idea, but how do you plan on attaching in on the differential end, going off the diff cover bolts or something different?

Also i really only think you need heims at the transfer case end as you want the cage to follow with the axle and an extra set of hemis might do some tricky things.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
awesome man!!! if i were you...i bet you could get a good bit more scavenging if you extended the collectors about 12" or so...

Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, you don't need heims but ones that small can be had so cheap they make an easy attachment point. As far as the diff end goes, affix it however makes the most sense for your app. Truss, tabs, whatever.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Rintin69
Senior User
Sounds good. But I too agree that if you would extend the collectors out, you would gain a fair amount more power throughout the entire powerband. I know its hard to tell mud racing, but experimenting with the different lengths might warrant even more power. But good job and the truck sounds good and loud.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:05 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Good point pro, them small heims are cheap, i think i might have to pick up some from a farm supply store (for me thats as close as the nearest time lol) next time i can.

Yeah i fully intend on extend the collectors out past the fenders, its just a matter of the guy giving me the wrong size tubing, he gave me 5" instead of 4" (but the 5" is what i have on there for the first part of the collector becuase it turned out that the 5" didn't involve any bending to seal of the primary's), and its just a matter of me not being back to a place that has 4" tubing so i can extend the pipe out past the fenders, i was thinking of using the 4" chrome tips to finish it up , oh and i'll be uploading that air filter housing picture tonight.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Here's the air filter assembly

the top piece is the actually housing, i just want to enlarge the air intake pipe, and the piece with the rubber elbow goes to the motor(just need some hose now), thne the actual air filter, then beside that is the end of the the housing which has a dust trap in it.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
thats weird.... what did you ger it off of?

Old 07-14-2006, 12:27 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
its just a filter housing of an old tractor that my dad and grandpa swapped motors in (an old 66 versatile 4wd tractor that had a ford gas 391 that they swapped a cummins v8 diseal in and the housing wouldn't work for some reason).

But other than different sizes and some that use dual air filters, that a fairly common housing.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,108 Posts
I think the back of the truck from which the picture was taken needs a few more beer cans in it........

Cody

Quick Reply: A new vid, headers, snorkle and d-shaft loop ??'s