Sponsored by: DP Tuner

High Press. Oil Pump bad---HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
ajf99ford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy High Press. Oil Pump bad---HELP

all of you who recognize my name from answering all my posts (thanks again) but I could not figure out what the problem was with my truck, It just lost power and then eventually died on the turnpike. well against my will I ended up taking it to a local shop which works on Diesels.

here's the help part, High pressure oil pump is bad !!! he said you need about 650PSI to get it working and I only have 350 to 400. and since that controls the injectors.........no fuel
but he quoted 1,500.00 to complete the job that 's crazy. He said the pump from Ford was 1000 and 5 for them to do the job. I told him to hold off, I'm going to check the International Dealership nearby, Napa or where ever else !!
any ideas where to get one, I have til Monday to decide (he said)

Old 07-07-2006, 01:37 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, $1500 installed is not an unusually large fee for that job.

A PSD will idle at 450 psi all day. I think I would want to be sure that the problem wasn't a sticky pressure regulator or a fauly pressure sensor before I dropped that kind of cash on a pump.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
If it's just low HPOP pressure, what Cookie said has a LOT of merit. Yes, check out replacing the IPR.

See:
http://cw-diesel.com/LuxSite/IPRInfo.htm

Pop

Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 PM
ajf99ford
Junior User
well in light of what you guys said about the IPR, I thought about how to ask the shop without making them feel like they don't know what they're doing. So I went over there and in conversion asked if we are sure it still couldn't just be the IPR, he said confident "No, we hooked it up to some computer machine they have which bypasses the HPOP, put the pressure needed to the IPR and BOOM" my truck started, he said it ran for 20min. fine, then when taking off the machine, it cuts off.
Bad HPOP

I went to an International Dealer near me and they want 900 with a 150 dollar core charge. so 750 is a little better. the guy at the shop said he has a friend with some used engines. If he will sell me one he will still install it for me. He will call me in the morning after he talks to him. Or I can take my truck and deal with it myself now that I know what the problem is for 120.00 for finding the problem.
I think this guy is pretty honest.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious.. how many miles on the engine?

Old 07-08-2006, 04:03 PM
ajf99ford
Junior User
only 99,800 miles, but I just bought it at 82,000 or so. I do know the guy that had it before me bought it just to plow, pallet of salt in back and spreader,(alot of weight) in the summer it was used just to pull a 16ft. trailer with a skid loader everyday. So the first 82000 miles of it's life it was worked pretty darn hard.
if that means anything towards why the pump went so early.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:35 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ajf99ford
It does sound like he knows what he's doing. So what are you going to do? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of used parts when there is an alternative available, but the prospect of getting it fixed for a lot less than what new costs has to be considered...the HPOP has a pretty low failure rate too, so the used one might be a good idea.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"No, we hooked it up to some computer machine they have which bypasses the HPOP, put the pressure needed to the IPR and BOOM" my truck started, he said it ran for 20min. fine, then when taking off the machine, it cuts off.
Bad HPOP
Is it possible to bypass the hpop with an external machine? It sounds a lot more like they bypassed the IPR instead and simulated a good IPR signal to the hpop. I may be way off base here but just thought I'd throw that out.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:38 AM
ajf99ford
Junior User
well SGROL I wish I knew how he did it, but from what he explained to me, if you pump the required pressure some how to the HPOP (I think ?) , the IPR, gives the injectors the goahead to fire, if the IPR was bad they still wouldn't fire. So in short, I think it's the opposite of what you said, boy am I confused now..... haha

and Cookie88, I too do not really like putting used parts on, He called me back and found a used one, but they still want 500 for it, so I think I've decided to get the pump from International and suck it up. At least I should know it'll be good for a very long time. As far as installing it myself or not, if I take the truck back now he want's 120.00 for finding the problem, so for another 380. (500 total) he'll get it done and quick too, so I'll probably let him do it. He has worked with me alot.
I'll let everyone how it went on Monday or Tuesday.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
I'm confused too. IPR=injection pressure regulator. Sounds like a simple pressure regulator to me. I would love to know how all of this works. I will study my manual later and see if I can understand it better. Maybe someone knowlegeable will chime in.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
fwiw: The Injection Pressure Regulator controls injection oil pressure. An electrical signal to a solenoid creates a magnetic field which applies a variable force on a valve servo to control pressure. The quantity of fuel delivered to the combustion chamber is proportional to injection control pressure.

An open circuit will result in minimum oil pressure and a no-start situation. A short circuit results in maximum oil pressure, and is limited by a mechanical pop-off valve to 27,580 kPa (4000 psi).

Old 07-09-2006, 11:24 PM
ajf99ford
Junior User
cool Sgrol, that was some interesting info you picked up, thanks for relaying.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM
ajf99ford
Junior User
well folks, I picked up the high pressure pump for 950.00 from International and will get 300 back for the core charge. After the shop installed the pump, all is great. I finally have my truck running !!!!!
I feel like it starts quicker, and I definately feel alot more power now that I got my PCM flashed by DP Tuner. I seem to feel it the most when on the turnpike going about 50 and punch it, it feels awesome.
the shop thinks that the previous owner of my truck probably never used Motorcraft Diesel Oil, and the pump seemed drier than normal. Not using the correct oil wouldn't have the anti foaming agent that certain oils do.
I know I always use the right oil, but couldn't help what happened the first 80,000 miles.
I'm just happy to be back in business, thanks to all for you assistance.
Andre'

Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red Flag

well in light of what you guys said about the IPR, I thought about how to ask the shop without making them feel like they don't know what they're doing. So I went over there and in conversion asked if we are sure it still couldn't just be the IPR, he said confident "No, we hooked it up to some computer machine they have which bypasses the HPOP, put the pressure needed to the IPR and BOOM" my truck started, he said it ran for 20min. fine, then when taking off the machine, it cuts off.
Bad HPOP

I went to an International Dealer near me and they want 900 with a 150 dollar core charge. so 750 is a little better. the guy at the shop said he has a friend with some used engines. If he will sell me one he will still install it for me. He will call me in the morning after he talks to him. Or I can take my truck and deal with it myself now that I know what the problem is for 120.00 for finding the problem.

Did this machine apply oil pressure? Did anyone check the level of oil? How about changing the ball valve if its leaking back. I have 434k on mine and no probs. Rpquette is having probs with leakback on other thread and replacing valve.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:52 AM
ajf99ford
Junior User
Yes, apperently this machine is able to simulate the pressure that the pump is not, and my truck started, the oil level was ok (happened to be the first thing I checked). I am not fimilar with this ball valve you are referring to. (434K) sweeeeet.
what and where is this ball valve !!