Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Overdrive light blinking - 02 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Battman76
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive light blinking - 02 Escape

Hello,

I have a blinking overdrive on my wifes 02 escape. 100,000 miles, no real problem besides a cracked manifold to his point.

I notice that occasionally the O\D light will flash as well the odometer is not reading mileage. Just happened this morning to us. After a few miles the light stops and the odometer reading then set in (showing 99975 etc).

I read a lot of other posts and see many references to VSS sensors etc. That part doesnt exist for this vehicle but after calling the dealer I found they have an ESS (engine speed sensor). I would assume this is very similar and did find that it bolts onto the side of the tranny. It's only 25$ so I think that is a good first step.

I'm also going to make sure the coolent is up to where it's supposed to be for I've seen a few threads discussing temp, and restriction (which maybe in my case after driving the temp of the tranny is cooled for some reason).

Anyone with any adivce? Any response is appreciated.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
bananaboat
Senior User
A blinkin O/D light by itself is not a good sign on this tranny. But since you're odometer isn't working...maybe you have a simplier issue.

I've got access to an 05 Escape's data but I "assume" the speed sensors are the same since the tranny is the same. They show two types of speed sensors. I'm not sure if they are just implying you'll have one and you'll have to look to determine which one.
engine vehicle speed sensor - oem #F8RZ7H103AA - list price $26.73
tranny vehicle speed sensor - oem #1S7Z7M101KA - list price $28.64

The diagram shows a vehicle speed sensor located on the driver's side, about halfway up the tranny, but on top of a ledge. This is above two other sensors - output shaft sensor and turbine sensor. You'd need to remove a splash shield from underneath to see how accessible it would be from underneath.

Unscientific advice...
I assume you're not running on the original tranny fluid and it's not burnt. If the prior statement is false, you may have a toasted tranny. I'd go by an AutoZone and have them see if it's throwing any codes (free). You said it's occasionally flashing and the odometer stopped working. Does this mean the problem comes and goes over the course of days/weeks? Or does this mean the O/D light flashing is sporadic and just started this morning? Is it shifting okay? Turn down the radio/fan speed...any unusual noise from the drivetrain?

Old 06-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Battman76
Junior User
Thanks BB. I have changed the juice twice now 35 and 80K. The only time I know the light to flash is just a short while after starting, and goes away after a few minutes of flashing - driving down the road. As for the odometer it registers the mileage it seems as soon as the O\D light stops flashing.

No noise I can detect to be abnormal, and in terms of shifting I've noticed it to be a little more choppy than I like to feel, but not clucking or slamming. And seems to smooth out after runing for a little while. I always baby an automatic tranny by taking the rpm's down when I know it's going to shift but my wife just drives it normal.

The tranny fluid is also a little over the full mark. Would that have any impact?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
bananaboat
Senior User
The fluid being a little over the full mark shouldn't hurt. Just like the oil, they have some tolerances built in to allow for slight over-fills.

Since the odometer dies when the O/D flashes, I'd assume some kind of electrical gremlin versus a tranny problem. That leads to a long time consuming list of possibilities. Some shared fuse, wire, ground, etc that could cause the problem. I know some of the earlier Escapes had an issue with water leaking around the windshield and causing rust/corrosion around the fuse box.

You said it shifts choppy until it warms up. Choppy as in - more than in the past? Or choppy as in - more than the vehicle you drive daily?

Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Battman76
Junior User
Choppy, when the light is on slightly more, choppy in general (nothing like my explorer). Ever since we bought it new I thought it was like that. its the 3.0 dohc. I was surprised at the rpm difference when you hit the gas (as it's faster than most 3.0's I've known) So the tranny has to handle the torque (maybe said better by a pro) which I think would be more stressful than a 4.0 SOHC with less rpm's on the engine.

I'll change the fluid, take it to autozone, keep an eye on it, and if I have to take it to ford in the new few weeks. Its funny to seem to only happen in the mornings.

I like the car, for at 100K it's a much nicer ride than my explorer with all the shocks and ball joints replaced. Still tight, fast and smooth, I'd hate to have to get rid of it.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 PM
yysenhimer
Senior User
A flashing O/D light just means there is a fault somewhere. It could be nothing, or a lot. My wife's started the same way and it didn't turn out good. The trans felt fine for the most part. See my posts in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=502664

Old 07-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Battman76
Junior User
Update - The check engine light finally came on. Error code 0720 - insufficient input from Output shaft speed sensor. OSS. Hopefully that's all it is. I have to go to the dealer for Autozone doesnt carry it and cant even get it. The manual transmission must use the VSS sensor where the automatics have the OSS.