Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Goofy Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM
hips01v10
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Goofy Cruise Control

I know this is not a V-10 specific problem but I am having problems with my cruise control on my 01 250 V-10 5 spd .. When I go to put on the cruise I have to hit the set button about 30-40 times in rapid fire fashion to get it to engage once it is set it works OK till you hit the brakes and disengage it and I have to start over with the same pattern . This is maddening !! Any one have the same problem or know what the problem fix is ????? This is driving me nuts !!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:13 PM
AerostarTrailHiker
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wonder if the Cruise engage switch has failed. Sounds like everything works fine once you get the cruise engaged. Do the other switches for cruise control work ok?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I agree with Aerostar. Might be your cruise control switch. It is located on the front/bottom of the master cylinder. Cost is about $22.00 from FORD...and takes about 5-10 minutes to replace.

TIP: When you remove the sensor, make sure you have the new sensor ready to bolt on...because you will lose some brake fluid. Might want to use on hand/finger to plug...and start the install with the other.

biz

Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
FastDEW
Senior User
Is this the same switch involved in the recall? Ford was recalling some vehicles because of faulty cruise control switches on the Master Cyl going bad and shorting out. This was causing fires. I think it is a very rare event, but your switch might be shorting out ... You should check it sooner than later if it is one involved in the recall.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 PM
hips01v10
New User
Once I get it to turn on it works OK.. The coast and accel buttons work but do not disengage it or you might not get it to turn on again either with the resume or set buttons !!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM
99F350Driver
New User
Smile

The F-250 and F-350 is not part of the recall. Only F-150's, Expeditions, and Bronco's. Most likely the cruise problem is the switch he is having to hit 30 times to get it to engage. I'm assuming that is the set switch? If the cruise control deactivation switch on the master cylinder was bad, the cruise would never engage, especially if it was shorted.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
I know someone with an '05, and it had a leaky cruise control switch on the master cylinder

Sounds like the switch... or the contacts in the column.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:13 AM
99F350Driver
New User
Wink

You can find a leaking switch on any make or model. That switch is used on alot of years and models. My point was that his truck is NOT involved in the recall and that switch is NOT likely to be the problem. If that switch is bad, hitting the button 30 times (as he has stated he does) on the steering wheel won't make it work. I've done I know over a thousand of the recalls. The fact is, in the recall, you inspect the switch, if it is dry you don't change it and you only install a fused harness between the old harness and the switch. Out of all of those I've done, I've seen two leaking switches. Even then, the cruise control worked and the customer didn't even know they had a problem. The recall you are referring to is 05S28. The only reason I'm hammering this point home is the fact that we see people all the time with cruise control problems and invariably it is a cruise switch on the steering wheel or the contacts in the steering wheel but the first words out of their mouth is they need the recall done. Even when their vehicle is not a recall vehicle. Normally, if the contacts behind the steering wheel (I've heard them called a clockspring too) are the problem then the horn will not work either and you may or may not have a airbag light. Beyond that, I'd check the cruise switches on the steering wheel first. Not too hard to do with a meter and a wiring diagram.