The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

I got a Misdemeanor

Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 PM
danny_g_76
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a Misdemeanor

Two nights ago I was driving down this really windy road outside of my town. I passed my freind going the other way and he called me. He thought his maxima was fast so he wanted to race my FORD TAURUS SHO . I let him catch up and then i dusted him. We stopped on the end of the road to talk about the race. Three of the four people in my car we under age and drunk. I was also not suposed to be driving after nine. The cops showed up and said they had tons of calls of our two cars racing down the road. They wrote us both tickets for unauthorized race contest and me a driving out of class. The race was a Misdemeanor. That was my seventeenth and eighteenth tickets. Is a race really a big enough deal to be called a Misdemeanor, or is NY just a complete police state?
Dan

Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion, street racing is enough to be called a misdemeanor, ITS DUMB. I lost one of my best friends due to 2 other kids street racing and hit him head on, he suffered for 3 days in the ICU. Ask yourself if winning a race is really worth risking the life of you, your passengers, and other people on the road. Sorry if I seem like a square on this one, but it really strikes a chord with me, but I think it is a big enough deal to be called a misdemeanor. Could be worse, you could've hurt someone or yourself.

BTW...what year & powertrain SHO? The Yamaha V6 or the 3.4 V8? My cousin has a SHO with the 3.4L V8 lowered with a cat-back, they are quick, but so are the V6's.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
I won't get into why racing on public roads is a terrible idea. But it is.

As for it being a misdemeanor, I'm not surprised. I'm sure the cop pulled up your driving record before he even stepped out of his car. Once they know you have a bunch of tickets, they like to slap you with the harshest penalty possible.
I've had plenty of tickets, but if you've had eighteen, you may want to reevaluate your attitude.
I could say some harsher things here, but I'm going to try to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
danny_g_76
Senior User
I have a 89 with the 3.0 mtx. We have bought about 20 of the gen one and gen two SHOs. We have only gotten three of the 3.2 atxs. I like the look of the gen threes the v-8 but we took them on the drag strip. pluss the engine is natorius for the cams slipping and messing up the vaulves.
Dan

Old 06-22-2006, 06:31 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
18 tickets??? how can you have 18 tickets and still have your license?

wow. i don't even know what to say.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
That was my seventeenth and eighteenth tickets
you've got as many tickets as your age?

Sorry man, No sympathy here, I HAD a freind who thought street racing was cool

Old 06-23-2006, 11:39 AM
JD717
Elder User
Sorry, but I think you're not going to have a license if you keep this crap up. its time to mature, and start acting like an adult. here, if you'd been streetracing, the cops woulda locked your behind up, and I think auctioned off the car. if I remember right, street racing is a felony here.

I really think you're an idiot if you let yourself just do stupid crap like have underage drunk people in your car, AND racing someone. what if you'd wrecked, killed everyone in the car and only you lived? you would have had to live with that guilt every day of your life.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
I still don't understand how someone can be 17 years old, have 18 tickets and not have lost their license yet. Most people learn after 1 or 2.. but.. 18?!!?

Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
jcp123
Elder User
I knew a guy who got 6 tickets, got his license suspended and after 6 months of having is mother drive him around, got his license back. The next week he was clocked doing 110 on the interstate and tried to tell the cop he was "just going with the flow". Nice kid but I would have hoped he'd learn. How he could afford insurance on an '01 Camaro SS with that kind of record beats me.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:57 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In America, if a person doesn't like the existing laws or wants a new one we have a method to bring about change. They either contact and lobby the legislators of the state in which they reside or, if you live in an initiative state like I do, collect sufficient signatures of registered voters supporting a new law or a change to an existing one and by law it must land on the ballot. The voters of the state decide the fate of the matter. So on that note, if you think that the current laws in the state of NY are unjust you have every right as a citizen to try to bring about change. You won't win on this one, trust me, but you have every right to try to bring about change using the system.

I too am puzzled as to how you still have a license. I'm more puzzled that you have insurance (assumed to have). I also think I know how this is being overridden. Legally, a person cannot own a motor vehicle unless they are 18 YO. Thus, the legal owner of your car is responsible for your actions. Should you be at fault in an accident that injures/cripples/killes someone(s), the legal owner of that car will probably get sued. This is very true if you're breaking the law and they will, in court, look at those 18 tickets. It's gonna bite you and the legal owner of that car in an ugly way. If that vehicle owner has anything worth taking (house, vacation home/condo, retirement savings, boat, nice motor home, etc etc) it's all on the line. That owner could be ruined for the rest of their life, as will be you, loosing everything they worked their whole life for, right up until the day they die. They also go for future earnings/income/paychecks. And it really does happen. All this on top of your having to live with the injury/crippling/death of someone else for the rest of your life.

Real world, real life, it does happen, and it all begins with one slip that unwinds very fast. There ain't no going back after that couple of seconds of hell either. Just something to think about.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Only in certain states do you have to be 18YO to own a motor vehicle. I own and have owned my Contour SVT and my 54 F100 street rod since I was 16, but I think it varies from state to state. If I would've been in an accident and seriously injured someone, my insurance company would've gotten sued and I would've had to pay damages through them(they explained this all when I got my policy in 2004).

I got my license taken away by my parents for being accused of street racing(2 cars like mine around here, it wasn't me). I'm wondering how you still have a license cuz here, its 3 moving violations and done for 6 months, then you get put on SR22 insurance and probation. I have a very, very hard time believe 18 tickets unless most of those were NOT moving violations.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
9 mile, I tried to give ya rep points for that!

Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
jcp123
Elder User
I haven't heard of the 18 year old ownership law either.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 AM
sirkt
Senior User
I've lived in a lot of places (Illinois, Montana, Wyoming, Iowa, Idaho) and have not heard of the 18 year old ownership thing either. I owned my Jeep (only my name on the title) I bought it at 15.5 in Montana and both Wyoming and Iowa had no problem licensing it. I bought my Bronco while I was 18 so I don't know about Idaho (and "9mile" I live 8 miles from the Washington border so that my be the law here in ID and WA, I don't know)

Anyway with those 18 tickets good luck getting a job were you have to deliver or even be around cars/trucks. I am currently looking for a job and 2 places want my driving record. The first is delivery so it makes sense the other (U-haul) is customer service but they want it too.

I know we are harping on you but Dan you need to think about what you are doing. I know I have since I rolled the Bronco. I was alone (thank God) but if I had anyone in my truck and they would have gotten hurt I would have felt like edit. Now when ever I drive alone or with someone else, I drive slower and watch out more. I do this with everyone in my truck no matter if is my sisters, parents, buddies, or girlfriend. Believe me I have taken some crap over my driving from my friends but I'll take it as long as we both get were we are going safely.

But no matter what we say we probably won't change your mind. Just if you ever come to northern ID please tell me so I can be on the lookout for New York plates.

Tyde

Last edited by Beast12; 06-28-2006 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
pimpedrsrage
Junior User
well really the only place to race is a drag strip but sometimes thats hard to get at. we have a road thats bout 4 miles long-straight and flat....and we line them up....qtr mile or half mile whatever the drivers want..and use cellphones to contact eachother to maek sure no one is coming. also we do it at night so we can see headlights coming and back off. we have a rule just in case a car pops up...guy in the right lane keep on the gas...guy in left lane back off and pull into right lane behind other car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I got a Misdemeanor