N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking newbie

Hi All, Been Lurking In The Wings. 44 Years Old, Live In Bridgeport Ca.
Have A 99 Sd W/ 7.3. Hope I Can Help As Well As Be Helped By This Site.
Having A Few Dificulties W/ Trans, 4r100 Seems To Slip Out Of Gear While Accelerating And Then Bangs Back In. Fluids Are Fresh And Full. No Debris Ever In Trans. Diffs Are Full And Clean. Anyone Else Have This Problem Before? Help!

Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Brett. Sorry to hear about your tranny problem. I hope somebody else comes along with an idea. Jag

Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
Smile

Thanks Jags, Yeah Me Toooooo!!! Only Happened Twice

Old 06-14-2006, 06:52 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
mxfam4x4. glad you posted. Please feel free to post anytime in this forum - not just for problems but about anything else too. As soon as I can talk TigerDan into hosting a bbq at his shop we will have a chapter mini-meeting in your area. (We all want to look his projects over!)

That being said, you will have better luck if you post your questions in either the supercrew or the 7.3 forum - that way the entire nation looks at your question, not just those of us in this chapter.

That does not mean that you should not post technical questions here - I do, just because I trust the answers more when I know the person making the suggestion.

As to your question, I think a computer controls the shifts in your tranny. It sounds like a software bug to me - you are not running a non-stock chip, are you?

Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Clint reminded me of a similar situation we had with one of our Ford work trucks. A sender on the engine block got broken off. The tranny did not know what to do. It shifted into low and stayed there no matter how much fuel you gave it. If your sensor is bad, that may be causing the symptoms. A good shop should be able to troubleshoot the problem for you without charging too much $$ Jag

Old 06-15-2006, 08:56 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyB
...As soon as I can talk TigerDan into hosting a bbq at his shop we will have a chapter mini-meeting in your area. (We all want to look his projects over!)
Hmmm, interesting concept. Except, I don't really have a shop (yet.) I do most of my work out in the dirt after hours at my place of employment, or here in the driveway at home.

And Bridgeport is a long way away from me, much further north. I think you're closer to me than he is!

Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
Hay Hay ***** B ' Yes I'm Running A Superchip Tuner That Reburns The Prom
Have Had It On For 4 Yrs With No Previouse Probs Thought.
Tiger D ; Bridgeport Is On The Eastern Slope Of The Sierra's Between Tahoe And Mammoth On Highway 395, Bodie State Park Is Near By And Fun 4 X 4 Trails All Around. Good Fishing And Camp Grounds As Well Fun Fun Fun

Old 06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mxfam4x4
Hay Hay ***** B ' Tiger D ; Bridgeport Is On The Eastern Slope Of The Sierra's Between Tahoe And Mammoth On Highway 395, Bodie State Park Is Near By And Fun 4 X 4 Trails All Around. Good Fishing And Camp Grounds As Well Fun Fun Fun
It is gettting hot down here - you can expect me up in your area soon. And Tiger, I was just tweeking you about the bbq - not a bad idea, but not something you can ask someone else to do. If your better half is like mine, she would not be thrilled at the idea of hosting a party for a bunch of greasy gearheads.

However, it is getting hot - maybe we could think about a sunday picnic up at Yosemite? I think the have the road fixed to the west entrance.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM
mxfam4x4
Senior User
Sounds Like Fun, I Can Bring The Bbq, & Some Dogs. I Believe The Boys @ My Shop Said They Were Finished Blowing Our Side Over A Week Ago. Pretty Booked Thru The End Of This Month, But Next Month Looks Good.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Me and Mrs. Jag will be there July 2 thru 4th. I'll BBQ a burger for you. Jag

Old 06-16-2006, 08:30 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Boy, I guess I goofed on that one...I thought Bridgeprt was up in Humboldt county. I'll have to look that one up on the map. Maybe it was Bridgeville...

ON EDIT:

Yup, just Googled it. Bridgeville is what I was thinking of.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Bridgeville,+CA

And I've been to both Bridgeville and Bridgeport, although it's been a few years since I've been to either one. Went camping at June lake with a sports car club I used to belong to, back in about '88 and haven't been in the area since.

As for the BBQ idea, I'd love to but my plate is getting more and more full all the time. I'm working at one job or another pretty much 7 days a week at this point, plus trying to put together a business plan to get a loan and buy my own business. And things will just get worse after that! But on the bright side, if it goes through I'll have a place to host that BBQ and will force myself to take the time to do it...though it may not be till winter!

Last edited by TigerDan; 06-16-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:13 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
That is ok, Dan. I have been known to make a mistake myself a time or two.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:17 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Well, I thought I was wrong once, but I may be incorrect about that...!