1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never been interested in speed in a ranger, I like lowend grunt, and power. Offroad is where I get most of my kicks, a 100 mph ranger has never been my objective, I would just keep building on my focus if that was my main concern. I traded my 06 zx3 focus for an 06 st focus, I pick it up today. It's pretty fast out of the box. Anyhow, the fact is any engine can achieve higher hp with internal, and external modifications. This, it can't be done mentality gets to be so lame when it's done every day. I just wish Bob would spend some time on other forums that deal with these issues on a regular basis, there are people out there with built 3.0's, who say there close to 200 hp, and I have no reason to call them a liar. I don't have a 3.0, but If I did, I bet ya I would be one of those who would get close to 200 hp , because I wouldn't quit until I did. Now that there is a 4.5 stroker kit for the 4.0, and sage 2 heads, I am sure I won't be going backwards to a 3.0 to find out.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I just wish Bob would spend some time on other forums that deal with these issues on a regular basis, there are people out there with built 3.0's, who say there close to 200 hp, and I have no reason to call them a liar.
Wendell, I'm not going to waste my time on a site like RPS, listening to a bunch of children's BS!!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:21 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Waves
Wendell
So my rangers handle pretty damn good, and are comfortable at speed...but my question is how fast do you really want to go in a ranger? IMHO, much past 85mph the trucks just get real light if you know what I mean, even mine, that are stuck to the ground so to speak, at higher rates of speed I know for the most part if something happens I am nothing more than a a very long, smooth, highway here in Texas. Did a speed run with the programmer with the speed limiters removed and I can say it was the fastest I have ever been in a ranger, but I don't think I will be doing that again just for the fact that I don't think it's very safe to run those kind of speeds in a ranger....know what I mean? I did it the one time just to see what it had past a hundred and I still could have gone a little more but....like I said before the truck felt real light at that point. Much past 85 the trucks kind of scare me in that regard....I figure I got enough to run smoothly at the 80mph speed limits we now have in West Texas (if I ever make it out that far went) and realluy I did what I did to help towing and mine does that rather well, but like I asked, how fast do you really want to go in a Ranger? A sports car might be a better way to go if you really want to go fast just to be in somethingh that is made for it -
You make a very good point. I have seen several posts from those wanting to go beyond the programmed speed in a stock truck....... an accident looking for a place to happen.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
There not all children Bob, and most of them know there stuff. You will believe whipples dyno sheet, but you won't believe k&n's dyno sheet, thats alittle pick, and chose isn't it? Your point doesn't even make sense, because a sc only makes 197 hp, that means you can't build the same motor to make around 200. Focus sport makes a turbo for the 2.3 duratec that makes around 220 wheel hp on a stock motor, cosworth makes a stage 1 , 2, and 3 kits that make around 240 wheel hp without forced induction, and they claim it's still very streetable. Golden sells a jeep 4.0 stroker motor that makes 265 hp, while avenger sells a sc for the jeep 4.0 that makes, I think it was a round 250 hp. Forced induction isn't the only way to make power. Your not the only one that knows something around here, and I resent the fact that you say I misslead people, I have a modded engine, you don't, but yet you know it all, even more so than the ones that have them. I don't knock your camras, and lense's, or gps toys, cause there your hobbies, and you enjoy them. So why can't you let those enjoy performance enjoy our hobby? And don't give that crap, it's because it doesn't work, it does work, and there's many people with cars , and trucks to prove it. Once again I'm done with this subject where your concerned, I'll let you do all the misleading, telling people that that performance parts don't work blah balh blah.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 PM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Waves, how fast did you get your ranger up to? My chip governs my truck to 125mph but i can only get 110.5mph even on 93octane power setting. Truck just lacks areo dynamics to be going at high speeds.

On a side note, i enjoy RPS forums and this place. Alot of good reading and people on both

Last edited by RagunCajun; 06-13-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Waves
Elder User
Right at 110mph

Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
You would be VERY hard pressed to get more than 1 hp per cubic inch from a naturally aspirated, ohv, 2 valve per cylinder engine, unless you spin it at insane rpm's and then it wouldn't be streetable. That is fact based on physics, not just my opinion.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:34 AM
RagunCajun
Senior User
Originally Posted by Waves
Right at 110mph
haha wow. That's pretty neat.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Waves
Elder User
haha wow. That's pretty neat.
Well like I said before, it was more of just a one time deal just out of curiosity, like Wendell I did what I did for power on the low end, and for more torque while towing my boat, I wasn't going for big top end, I just haven't ever had a Ranger without a speed limitor and I was curious....I think I was running in the low to mid 4,000's RPM wise in OD.....it was a trip man I 've never seen those kinds of rpm's in OD before and I've had 5 rangers...it's also the lightest any of them have ever felt on the road...don't think I will be doin' that again...lol

Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by super 6.8
You would be VERY hard pressed to get more than 1 hp per cubic inch from a naturally aspirated, ohv, 2 valve per cylinder engine, unless you spin it at insane rpm's and then it wouldn't be streetable. That is fact based on physics, not just my opinion.
Wendell, doing the conversion for you, that's about 182HP (flywheel).

Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The simplest and fastest way to enjoy more HP will be to jettison the 3.0 and replace with a 4.0. For now, one quick and dirty would be to consider a different rear axle ratio, such as 4.10's. Do realize that horsepower in a system is constant, torque is not. As you ponder the 5.0 idea, be aware that some locations require that the engine be one that was intended for the vehicle, others don't care what it is so long as it passes emissions, then other could care less about anything (maybe for now though).

*This thread is so good I blew 7-up through my nose .

Old 06-14-2006, 05:15 PM
blueranger99
Senior User
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile
The simplest and fastest way to enjoy more HP will be to jettison the 3.0 and replace with a 4.0. For now, one quick and dirty would be to consider a different rear axle ratio, such as 4.10's. Do realize that horsepower in a system is constant, torque is not. As you ponder the 5.0 idea, be aware that some locations require that the engine be one that was intended for the vehicle, others don't care what it is so long as it passes emissions, then other could care less about anything (maybe for now though).

*This thread is so good I blew 7-up through my nose .

You guys are cracking me up too...

I've got a 3.0 and I agree with the consensus opinion - want more power, ditch it for a 4.0 sohc.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:25 PM
hfox12175
New User
go with a chip and a 2 or 4 chamber flowmaster with crossover with dual exhaust. also if you were interested in a 302 try the ford racing performance catalog they have a really good price on 302 shortblock unmolested, same block, crank, and cam from their early explorer run. done 2 for a 89 and 93 mustang the 93 is pumpin about 305 horses

Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
There's alot of 302's making well over 300 hp, and thats more than 1 hp per cubic inch. There's alot of 460's making over 500 hp, 390's making over 400 hp, the list goes on. I don't see why you couldn't take an engine that makes a 150hp, and get another 50 hp out of it. The guys over at rps say it can be done, and they play with that stuff all of the time. I don't have a 3.0, but seeing's how the 3.0 is old school tech, why wouldn't the old tricks work, like flowing the heads, a cam, raise compression, and so on. It doesn't seem like getting 50 more ponies is so undoable, unless the motor is totally useless. I am only repeated what they were saying over on the other site, if I have mislead anybody, I'm sorry, but if you can't squeeze 50 more ponies out of a stock engine, it must be very badly designed, or something. You can get close to 90 hp more out of a duratec I-4 without forced induction, and cosworth says it's very streetable, and they know thier 4 bangers. so I'm totally lost if it can't be done with the 3.0, just to get an extra 50. I'm sorry for being stupid I guess.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

200 + shouldn't be a problem for the 3.0 with good package. 2hp per ci isn't that much of a problem these days.

The Whipple example was for that particular engine combination, but was not limited to that combination.

And Wendell, you arent' stupid. One becomes stupid when he/she thinks they know it all and can no longer learn.

Don't worry about 'ole Ayers. He's had a love affair for years now with spark plugs. Beginnin' to worry about that boy. jim d

Last edited by jimdandy; 06-14-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: engine mods