Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   engine mods (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/500121-engine-mods.html)

zacha44 06-11-2006 05:08 PM

engine mods

hello, i own a 2001 ford ranger with a 3.0 v6 engine. has anyone done any mods to this engine to increase acceleration? i like the engine in my truck but i have a heavy foot. lol mayb i shouldnt have even bought a ranger. anyways, i would just like some ideas on how to increase acceleration to this engine. i've also thought about buying a 302 but that's reaching deep into the pockets, however just for reference does anyone have a 302 in a newer ranger, and what kind of gas mileage does that get?

thanks any help is appreciated

RagunCajun 06-11-2006 08:58 PM

Easyest mod would be a chip such as the SCT chip($260) from motor haven.com. People will just tell you things like exaust and an intake system such as the MAC air intake system($140). I have an SCT chip, hallowed out cats, flowmaster dual exaust and MAC air intake and i run about a 17.2 in the 1/4. Took almost a second off my quarter mile time.

whipple makes a supercharger kit but it's only for the 2002-2004 models. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/ranger/

FTE Trigger 06-11-2006 10:06 PM

Keep your eye open for Keene-Bell SC.... they have one for the 3L Escapes...so I can see them possibly coming up with something.
I also have friend in the process of changing out his head gaskets plus some other things (rods, pistons, ie) on his '00 3L Ranger after he had done some damage with a modified T-bird SC on it. The SC was passed around ...it went from the T-bird to a Ford Probe then to his Ranger... good thing that's not his dd.

If you want to keep that dd without spending the $$ in the long run...I'd keep to Ragun's idea.

Keep in mind those internals can only take so much!...

Just my 2-cents...

Keep us posted to which ever way you decide to go... =o)

wendell borror 06-12-2006 04:31 PM

It's hard to swap a 302 into a newer ranger, and stay emissions legal. The 3.0 is a weak engine with not alot of aftermarket suport. The only thing that will really make a difference, would be forced induction, like a super charger. You could put the money that you would pay for sc, and trade in your ranger for a 4.0 sohc ranger, or a sports car, and be better off. A 4.0 sohc has 207 hp, thats about the same hp as a stock 5.0 had, mines fast, but my 4.0 isn't stock, bit it was still quick when it was stock.

Bob Ayers 06-12-2006 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
Keep your eye open for Keene-Bell SC.... they have one for the 3L Escapes...so I can see them possibly coming up with something.
I also have friend in the process of changing out his head gaskets plus some other things (rods, pistons, ie) on his '00 3L Ranger after he had done some damage with a modified T-bird SC on it. The SC was passed around ...it went from the T-bird to a Ford Probe then to his Ranger... good thing that's not his dd.

If you want to keep that dd without spending the $$ in the long run...I'd keep to Ragun's idea.

Keep in mind those internals can only take so much!...

Just my 2-cents...

Keep us posted to which ever way you decide to go... =o)

The 3.0L in the Escape is a Duratech, entirely different from the 3.0L Vulcan in Rangers.

FTE Trigger 06-12-2006 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
The 3.0L in the Escape is a Duratech, entirely different from the 3.0L Vulcan in Rangers.

Thiers nothing keeping them from develping one for the Ranger tho...;)

Bob Ayers 06-12-2006 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
Thiers nothing keeping them from develping one for the Ranger tho...;)

I agree, all it takes is time and money!!!! I just wanted to clarify the difference between the Escape 3.0L and the Ranger 3.0L.

Waves 06-12-2006 10:55 PM

I added a flowmaster mufler, K & N FIPK, and a Bama Programer to my 2001 Ranger Edge 4x with a 3.0/Auto. While the first two made a little difrence, the programmer made quite a noticable difrence. It comes with 3 programs, you can choose between torque, HP, and then difrent octane ratings. Of my 3 programs I like what I got from the 93 octane torque program I have...I can best describe it as always pulling through the entire RPM range.....while the two HP programs I have (one for 87 octane and one for 93) seem to have a flat spot for lack of better words as you accelerate. Also the more solid shifting, and having the shifts happen in a much better rpm ranger really made a difrence. Anyway might be a less expensive upgrade than a supercharger or 302 swap, and I know there are others, but for sure wendell will testify to the fine work that Doug at Bama can do as far as a custome tune for your ranger.

wendell borror 06-13-2006 05:58 AM

"O YEAH", SCT is the bomb, it made my 4.0 pull like a rocket. On my 4.0 I put jba headers, gibson catback, k&N seres 77 intake, e-fan, udp, and bama programer, and the truck screams. Now Morana makes a 4.5 stroker kit, and supersix motorsports makes stage 2 heads, so I can go farther yet. If you really wanted a little more umph out of your 3.0, I would go with a bama programer, a bigger gear in the rear (4:56), electric fan, and udp, that would be a good start, and those are mods you would really notice. If you really wanted to throw some money at it, I would port & polish the heads, get a cam, headers, and intake, along with the other mods listed, it should get you around 200 hp at the wheels, that still may be cheaper than a sc, and more dependable. Also while your doing the head work, shave them a little to bring up the compression, that would give you some more torque. If you had a 4.0 sohc, you would be starting with 207 hp, before doing anything. Waves runs a slightly moded 3.0, and seems pleased, so it's possible.

wendell borror 06-13-2006 06:10 AM

It's possible to make a 3.0 run, I would get headers, caback, intake, e-fan, udp, and a bama programer, also shave, plus port & polish the heades, and get a good mid range cam. that should put you at about 200 hp at the wheels, then top it off with a set 4:56 gears, It should chug along nicely. It should be cheaper than a sc, and more dependable. If you just wanted a nice improvement, without spending alot, get the bama programer, e-fan, udp, and gears, those will make a big difference.

Bob Ayers 06-13-2006 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by wendell borror
It's possible to make a 3.0 run, I would get headers, caback, intake, e-fan, udp, and a bama programer, also shave, plus port & polish the heades, and get a good mid range cam. that should put you at about 200 hp at the wheels, then top it off with a set 4:56 gears, It should chug along nicely. It should be cheaper than a sc, and more dependable. If you just wanted a nice improvement, without spending alot, get the bama programer, e-fan, udp, and gears, those will make a big difference.

Wendell, There is NO WAY the mods you are talking about will give you RW 200HP!!! The Whipple Supercharger only gives you 230HP at the flywheel with the 3.0L!!!

wendell borror 06-13-2006 08:04 AM

Yes Bob there is away, with head work, and raising the compression, and a cam. Those who know, that have done it can better tell you at rps in the 3.0 section, or use the search function. There is no motor than can't be built with time and money, were not talking 500 hp, were talking 200. Plus I said around 200, and I'm going by what I've read from other with built 3.0's, I have never owned one, or would I. I would ranther have a duratec 2.3 than a 3.0 personaly. Instead of allways trying to correct somebody, tell this guy how he can boost his power alittle, you have a 3.0, I don't. I can tell him what works on a 4.0. All I can tell him is the basics that work on any motor, not 3.0 specific. In my opinion his best bet would be to sell it, and get a 4.0, or sports car, I don't know exactly how fast he wants to go, but it's probbley faster than a 3.0 will take him.

Bob Ayers 06-13-2006 08:07 AM

Yes Bob there is away, with head work, and raising the compression, and a cam. Those who know, that have done it can better tell you at rps in the 3.0 section, or use the search function. There is no motor than can't be built with time and money, were not talking 500 hp, were talking 200. Plus I said around 200, and I'm going by what I've read from other with built 3.0's, I have never owned one, or would I. I would ranther have a duratec 2.3 than a 3.0 personaly. Instead of allways trying to correct somebody, tell this guy how he can boost his power alittle, you have a 3.0, I don't. I can tell him what works on a 4.0. All I can tell him is the basics that work on any motor, not 3.0 specific. In my opinion his best bet would be to sell it, and get a 4.0, or sports car, I don't know exactly how fast he wants to go, but it's probbley faster than a 3.0 will take him.

Lets see some facts Wendell, I presented facts from the Wipple!! DO you have any idea the difference between flywheel and RW HP???? I DO NOT
like to see you mislead people on performance MODS!!

Here go Wendell, the Wipple only produces 197HP at the wheels!!!

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...assis_test.asp

Let's see your facts now with the mods you are talking about!!!

Waves 06-13-2006 08:29 AM

Wendell - just my 2 cents worth regarding one comment:

I don't know exactly how fast he wants to go, but it's probbley faster than a 3.0 will take him.
I think the better statement might be this, and I can say this from my now first hand experience. I am sure you can make a 3.0 reach the HP level you spoke of, and I would guess Bob was probably thinking along the "normal" bolt on ways while you my friend were thinking outside the box...as always, both of you guys always have some good input on this board, although if I ever decide to build my 3.0 beyond this you will be the first person I ask for input from, at the same time I can't knock Bob's tehnical input - he seems to know some pretty technical stuff as well..he's just not big on mods and thats cool to, I have read many a good input and advice for fixes from him as well.

If there is a will and enough money, there is always a way to reach that HP number, but back to this comment. One thing I can say from having owned 5 Rangers (2 with 2.3's and 3 with 3.0's), and this one, with the mods I have done, being the fastest. You know my basic set-up, wich has been similar on the last 3, and with my Rangers I tend to first tackle this soft handling issue....stock the damn things are just waaaayyyyyy too loose/soft at highway speeds IMHO, and I hate the body roll issue, saying that, and knowing I always tackly this problem, I make my rangers stick to the ground, I get rid of the body roll and really firmen up on the shocks.

So my rangers handle pretty damn good, and are comfortable at speed...but my question is how fast do you really want to go in a ranger? IMHO, much past 85mph the trucks just get real light if you know what I mean, even mine, that are stuck to the ground so to speak, at higher rates of speed I know for the most part if something happens I am nothing more than a passenger.....I have driven and ridden in some pretty fast hot rods in my time...but I got a say my current ranger scared the hell out of me at 110 on a very long, smooth, highway here in Texas. Did a speed run with the programmer with the speed limiters removed and I can say it was the fastest I have ever been in a ranger, but I don't think I will be doing that again just for the fact that I don't think it's very safe to run those kind of speeds in a ranger....know what I mean? I did it the one time just to see what it had past a hundred and I still could have gone a little more but....like I said before the truck felt real light at that point. Much past 85 the trucks kind of scare me in that regard....I figure I got enough to run smoothly at the 80mph speed limits we now have in West Texas (if I ever make it out that far went) and realluy I did what I did to help towing and mine does that rather well, but like I asked, how fast do you really want to go in a Ranger? A sports car might be a better way to go if you really want to go fast just to be in somethingh that is made for it -

Bob Ayers 06-13-2006 08:41 AM

In my opinion his best bet would be to sell it, and get a 4.0, or sports car, I don't know exactly how fast he wants to go, but it's probbley faster than a 3.0 will take him.

I totally agree with you on that Wendell!!! It is always best to buy something that is designed, and built for speed!!! There is more than just the engine to be concerned about, there is the suspension, brakes, cooling & lubrication, proper speed rating on tires, etc. ....