General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Security Camera info needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 AM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Security Camera info needed

Just looking for some info on Video surveillance equipment.

This will be used outside to try and catch a sleezball contractor who has been ringing the doorbell and resently stole some mail from the door mail slot.

My sister in law is in a legal dispute with this jerk and since day one of the legal ramblings there has been someone ringing the doorbell. It has happened probably 8 times over the past 3 years. They always coencide with legal maneuvers.

Currently I have a video camera setup with a VCR that we have been using to try and catch him, but it relise on her to start it when she goes to bed.
We have missed him twice because she didn't set it up.
He will go months without doing anything so she gets lulled into thinking it is not going to happen again, then she drops her guard.

I have been looking online and found a few 4 camera systems for around $1500.00. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Her alarm company quoted $8,000.00 which is to high. For 8 grand I would expect an armed guard...

It is to bad that we have to resort to this, but I am starting to see the benefits. I may even get a system for my house. Maybe I would have caught the person who egged my truck a while back.

Sorry for the long post

Any info would be great thanks....

Old 06-06-2006, 12:35 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-06-2006, 09:13 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought some of those x10 cameras as i have a scummy neighbor as well, the remote wireless ones are cool, however you'll most likely need a timelapse vcr kinda expensive mine cost 300 bucks, and also you'll either need an infra red type of illuminator as those cameras cannot see in the dark, although i suppose a motion sensor spotlite would work? good luck happy hunting!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
06supercrew
Senior User
Have you thought of a game camera? They are still shots and come in 35 mm or digital. They have a flash and a motion sensor to trip the shot. They can be configured in a number of different ways. I have a digital one you just plug it into a usb port on the computer to view the pictures, save what you want on disk or your computer and delete the rest and put the camera back in place. Mine came from walley-world about $100.00. Other places (hunting supply stores are best) have a larger variety.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:18 PM
donjamer
Originally Posted by 06supercrew
Have you thought of a game camera? They are still shots and come in 35 mm or digital. They have a flash and a motion sensor to trip the shot. They can be configured in a number of different ways. I have a digital one you just plug it into a usb port on the computer to view the pictures, save what you want on disk or your computer and delete the rest and put the camera back in place. Mine came from walley-world about $100.00. Other places (hunting supply stores are best) have a larger variety.

Good luck.
It sounds great, but we want to get this guy on a movie not a still. They have motion sensitive video cameras that can be connected to the computer, which is probably what we will do.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
You can buy game cameras that will record action. I think www.sportsmanguide.com still has them.

Time lapse recorders$ can be bought from www.northerntools.com.

At the X-10 site, you can buy motion activated cameras that can start the VCR or better yet, record to hard drive. Which makes skipping through a tape or printing hard copies much easier.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
TWolf
Elder User
rebocardo, nice site. The northern tool site.

I have done Security work for over ten years. Some of the systems that are out like what sierraben had listed to see. They are garbage. Those 3 to 4 camera systems that are sold at Costco and Wal-mart type stores are cheap. They come as a system and when one part breaks, you must send in the whole system for repair. The camera gets it power from the monitor.

Now the northern tool site had some good stuff. Not brand name, but it looked alright. I would think that the Clover 4 channel DVR, model #CDR4070 with the night vision outdoor color camera, Model #IRCO22 would work great. The camera has built in IR which would make it good for night time. You would need to know the distance and the lums that it has. It the LEDS glow to much and can be seen. You will have to hide the camera. A 2.6 to 4MM would be good for the entry way and in front of a garage. But not for anyshot that may be over 10 to 15 feet.

Rely on the DVR to do all of the recording. It should come with built in motion sensor so that it records only when there is movement. You may need to program it so that the recording will start 10 to 15 seconds before movement is detected and then stop about 30 seconds after movement has ended. This can be done.

The Time laspe VCR method has many draw backs. Yes you can record for X amount of hours. But you can only use a VCR tape about 20 times before it starts to go bad. Then you have to search the tape for what you may want to see. This takes alot of time. You will also have to clean the VCR. They are more of a hassle than they are worth.

I would set the system up running it through your TV set. This way you can view the outside action using your TV. If your door bell rings, click the output on your remote. It should bring up the camera system and you can see if you want to answer your door.

There is alot of good that can come from a home system like this. They are really nice to have.

Tom

Old 06-08-2006, 07:40 AM
hawk
Posting Guru
i bought my time lapse vcr from northerntool.

Old 06-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
That CDR4070 DVR seems to be Northern Tool Item# 440758
The camera IRCO22 seems to be Northern Tool Item# 440708
http://www.northerntool.com/

Old 06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
donjamer
We ended up getting a DVR 4 camera package from cctvspecialty.com.

http://cctvspecialty.com/4soccddocasy.html

But we swapped out the cameras with exterior ones.

http://cctvspecialty.com/sosuccd520li.html

It ended up being about $600.00 more to the package price.

We had overnight shipping so I should be installing this weekend.

Thanks for the info everyone.

It looks like a pretty good company to do business with. They were pleasant on the phone and are very accomidating when it comes to changes.

They have a pretty good selection of items allthought they are not cheap.

I think you need to spend some bucks to get good quality video and ease of use.

I'll let you know what I think when I see it in person.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
TWolf
Elder User
Did you get the cable also? And the connectors for the video cable? Hardwire or wireless? Hardwire is much better but takes a little longer to install. If you would like some suggestions on installation. You can PM me and I will help you.

Tom

Old 06-09-2006, 12:32 AM
donjamer
Originally Posted by TWolf
Did you get the cable also? And the connectors for the video cable? Hardwire or wireless? Hardwire is much better but takes a little longer to install. If you would like some suggestions on installation. You can PM me and I will help you.

Tom
Yes we got the cables. It was a complete package, but I won't know until it arrives if I need anything else. I should be installing it this weekend.

Thanks for all the info

Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 AM
tjay460
Senior User
Twolf, How do you start recording before motion is detected?

Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM
TWolf
Elder User
The DVR sees everything that passes through it and retains the motion for a short period of time before it disregards it. It is usally about a 5 to 15 second time frame. When motion is detected, it grabs this segment of time and adds it to the motion that is being recorded. Or you can set the DVR up to record 24/7, but it will use up more of hard drive. Don't know on this unit. One brand that I installed would record 16 cameras set on motion in a C-store for up to 45 days. Went an event ocurred, you could save it on the harddrive for ever. Then you could cut a CD and give to the cops. When you made the CD, it also put the program on the CD so that the cops could play it back with out having to buy a program.

Oh yea, you can block out areas of recording also. Say your camera sees a tree that blows in the wind. If you are not set up on full time record. You can go in and block out the area of the photo that is moving so that it will not take a record time. There things are great for your house. You can connect them up to a phone line and live view you house from anywhere in the world. Talk about big bother watching.

Things to remember when mounting a camera. When people wear hats, if the camera is mounted up to high, you will never see a face unless that person looks up. A dumb but funny trick is to post a sign that says, "Look up". About 97% of the people will look up. They don't know why, but the were told to. This way, you stand a better chance of getting a facial.

Little tricks of the trade.

DonJammer, I read that the DVR also has audio recording. Might think about changing the camera of the front door to one that has audio built into it. Just for your own protection and piece of mine. Here in Montana, to do audio recording all we need to do is have a sticker placed where it can be seen and it is legal. That place can be the last place for it to be seen. Don't know about where you live. Just a a thought.

Tom

Last edited by TWolf; 06-16-2006 at 10:17 AM. Reason: add to
Old 06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
donjamer
The DVR sees everything that passes through it and retains the motion for a short period of time before it disregards it.
I didn't know the DVR controls the motion sensing. I thought the camera had to have it.. I setup the DVR for scheduled recording from 8:00pm - 4:00 am which should be good for this application.

Then you could cut a CD and give to the cops. When you made the CD, it also put the program on the CD so that the cops could play it back with out having to buy a program.
We got the CD burner with the unit, but I can't figure out how to copy to it. I do not see a menu option or any buttons on the front. I need to contact them to ask.

DonJammer, I read that the DVR also has audio recording. Might think about changing the camera of the front door to one that has audio built into it. Just for your own protection and piece of mine.

Tom
What benefits would audio give? I am in MA so I am not sure of the laws..I know you can't use audio in court if the person did not know they were recorded.

Quick Reply: Security Camera info needed