Sponsored by:

So, what to do? Next project......

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
So, what to do? Next project......

So anyways, here goes another incoherent bit of rambling on about nothing of any real importance. But hey, I'm good at it so back off!!!

I've had this hankering to build another monster truck for a few months now. I guess the desire to do so comes from the large amount of vehicles around here that have come out of the woodwork and shown their faces to the world. These are the brand new trucks that have 5-8" of lift, 35" or 38" tires, 20" chromed aluminum (read: hideous)wheels and some poor little rich kid driving them. So far I have found two candidates for buildups; one of which I am going to look at Friday (tomorrow) night.

Candidate #1:

1958 F100 4x4 LB. $1000 although I could probably flash $750 at him and he'd take it because it's been sitting there with a "FOR SALE" sign in it for a LOOOOONG time. 239 V8 that would obviously get thrown away. Body's pretty good....needs all glass. Axles would get tossed too because of closed-knuckle D44 and 9". Rockies would go in their places. Not my favorite body style, but it's got the four headlight system which looks better than the two and it would look really good sitting on 53" Michies or some Super Singles.

Candidate #2: (haven't seen it yet)

1966 F100 4x4 SB. Ad says $700. Who knows what kind of dough will take it? Ad says that it's in good shape. It's my absolute favorite ("favourite" for you Canadians ) body style except for the gauge package..good thing I've got the dash of a '63 at home (round gauges in a flat plate instead of the boat-car cluster). Also lists a 351M....what kind of swap is that?!?!? YUCK. Obviously that would go out the window and so would the axles again. I guess it's all going to depend on what kind of shape the body's in. Another issue may be the short wheelbase. I will put Rockwells in it but driveline angles will definitely be a hinderance with 20 or so inches of lift. Maybe a custom transfer case (Skipped-link's '49 style) will be in order. My mantra has always been "Lift now; fix steering and driveshaft angle problems later." .....or something like that.

Regardless of which one I get, they'll both end up on the same tires, axles, suspension, etc. I can't stand seeing all of these new, small-tired (35-40") trucks running around with some be-bopping, hip-hopping kid driving them.........they have no idea what's going to hit them. Not like literally hit them, but you know what I'm saying.

To really put the icing on the cake (I'm hungry now, thanks me), the other day I stopped at the gas station and the dude behind the counter asked if I was the guy who had the black Ford with the stacks. I obviously said "yes" and he went on and on about how he wanted to buy it back when I had it for sale locally.........That was the clencher. Time for another build!!!

Cody

Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 AM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Block Pontoon Boat. Thats all I want to say.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Sounds like you have a great plan, now pick a body style an get to work! hehhe

Old 05-25-2006, 09:53 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,472 Likes on 960 Posts
i say a single cab ranger with an exo, pimped rockwells and 47 ltbs, 800 ci bbf and all the fixins

Old 05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
RawPower
Postmaster
go with #2 cand.
Just curious, is this going to be a frame-off?

Im not a big fan of the double headlights... that was offered first in '58 right?
I kinda like the 61's personally...

Edit: just googled a 66 to see what you would be buying... better get out the sawzall to make those wheel wells look normal with 4x" tires... or maybe 5x"?

Last edited by RawPower; 05-25-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:45 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im a huge fan off the 61-66 F-Series. I pratically grew up in one off those trucks. Dad had a 1964 250 a 2wd though. Me being real young thought that was a beast off a truck. That huge steering wheel. The big gearshift lever. That truck seen more abuse in the seven years we had it then any truck could take today. The other day I seen a older 66 lifted an restored. WOW is all I can say. Now thats a truck. Whatever you decide to do Cody you know it will be done to perfection knowing you. You see plenty off lifted superduties around but how many lifted 66s. Nice to know people didnt forget your old truck now isnt it. Ohh I cant wait to see the new Monster truck. Good Luck Stick a 460 or a 390 in that beast with some dual stacks an make that thing cackle Ohh yeah.

Last edited by 150ford; 05-25-2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:45 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i know i'm biased but personally i think you should go back to OBS powerstroke! i now its not an option but you know you want to

-cutts-

Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If that 58 was a shortbox I'd be on my way over to buy it right now. I got sniped on a bid for an AWESOME looking 59 last year on 44's. It was a posermobile that needed a "proper" engine and set of axles but it was probably the coolest looking custom 4x4 I've seen yet. Ever since then I wanted to build one of my own.

I don't think you'll have much in the way of driveline angle problems even with a shortbox due to the topload design of the Rockies. A divorced case or a drop box would make things really nice too.

Oh, btw Cody, I totally know how you feel. My junk is broke down in Portland. I stopped by the machine shop yesterday and he's so swamped with projects he hasn't touched my engine yet. So everywhere I drive is some punk with 35's thinking his truck is "da bomb". Funny, when the Cap'n was up here we'd go driving around looking for these guys and they're nowhere to be found. Now that I can't drive it they're EVERYWHERE!

Old 05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,472 Likes on 960 Posts
throw a set of 66's and 5 tons under your expy ivan...

that should take care of the posers

Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 PM
74fordtruck
Posting Guru
Wait....I only have 35's (Ivan just called ME a poser )

Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,995 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by ivanribic
If that 58 was a shortbox I'd be on my way over to buy it right now.

Funny, when the Cap'n was up here we'd go driving around looking for these guys and they're nowhere to be found. Now that I can't drive it they're EVERYWHERE!
It's not like I CAN'T make it into a shortbox. The only thing that really turns me off of the 58 is the box...It's the same square-sided thing that they used all the way to the 66 4x4's that doesn't match ANY body lines of ANY of the trucks.

At least with the 2wd trucks you got a box with some body lines. But I like the 4x4 cabs with the built-in running boards inside the doors. The 2wds didn't have those.

I agree completely with the statement about not being able to find these punk kids when you're TRYING to. Hell, I was always out to impress THEIR girlfriends with MY truck.

Cody

Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Incorrect Scott. A poser thinks his rig is the schiznit. You know yours is not. Therefore you're just a loser, which isn't near as embarassing as a poser.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ivanribic
A poser thinks his rig is the schiznit. You know yours is not. Therefore you're just a loser, which isn't near as embarassing as a poser.
Quoted just because its hilarious.

Cody, get the oldest bodystyle you can possible find. There is nothing cooler than the lines on the old trucks. Just look at Skippedlinks.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know since everyone else has thrown ideas out that weren't in your choices, I am gonna throw one out, get a 70-72 chev (the most desirable to the chev guys) lift up the body, and sell the frame, engine, and running gear to the local scrap buyer then set the body onto a 1 ton ford frame, shove the rockies under it, and a big block ford stroker under the hood and change the grill emblem to a ford oval. Then when the chev boys say nice looking chevy you just reply back with yeah but the only way I could make it run decent or be worth anything was to repower it with a FORD.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
FordPickup460
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with the 58, you dont see as many lifted 57-60 4x4's as you do the 61-66. The 58's look awesome lifted with the big tires. Im thinking about putting my 57 F100's body onto my 77 F-150 chassis with a 460 and 35's.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: So, what to do? Next project......