1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Under Bed Gas Tank

Old 05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
uc4me
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Bed Gas Tank

I am relocating the gas tank on my 55 f-100 and was wondering what other people have used (stock tank from something else, fuel cell, etc...) Id like to bring the filler neck through the side of the bed

Old 05-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan to do the same on my 56. One of the guys here (I forget who) did a very slick install of a Chevy Van tank that fits behind the rear end and between the existing frame crossmembers without needing to modify the frame. (I hope he sees this thread and attaches the photo of his install). The tank is secured by straps just like the OEM setup. You'll need to graft a Ford sender to it unless you are changing the gage.

The link below is for a new Chevy Van tank.

http://www.gastanks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GM-8A

Old 05-24-2006, 12:10 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Randy Jack,

I think I am the guy you are referring to. Look in my 2nd photo gallery for more photos. You can email at this username at comcast.net for more photos and info. Here's a photo of my tank, 77-82 Chevy/GMC van 22 gallon. No cutting or notching required. Drill holes to bolt the straps to and go.

Hope this helps.

Donald

Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

One more thing my trucks right at 19 mpg so I can go almost 360 miles on a tank and after that distance isn't a guy or gal ready to get out anyway ?

Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

tacson -

Yep. That's the photo I was referring to. Great install.

I don't get that good of mileage, so I'm thinking about the 31 gallon tank. It is longer, so I'd need to move the crossmember back about 6 inches, but your setup is definately the path of less resistance.

Did you use a Ford sender or a Chevy gage?

Old 05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

I have aftermarket gauges in my truck. So i took the sending unit that came with the gauges and mounted it to the bottom side (inside the tank) of the GM unit and adjusted the arm on it to read my fuel level. It is not dead on but I have a solution to that coming this winter. For a guy or gal looking for functionally and ease of install and easy on the wallet. It is not to bad of a deal.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:38 PM
uc4me
Senior User
Originally Posted by tacson
Randy Jack,

I think I am the guy you are referring to. Look in my 2nd photo gallery for more photos. You can email at this username at comcast.net for more photos and info. Here's a photo of my tank, 77-82 Chevy/GMC van 22 gallon. No cutting or notching required. Drill holes to bolt the straps to and go.

Hope this helps.

Donald
Where did you end up locating the filler neck?
How far down does it hang (the fuel tank)

Last edited by uc4me; 05-24-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the filler neck is sticking thru the frame rail just in front of the rear spring shackle in that picture..

Sam

Old 05-24-2006, 01:49 PM
uc4me
Senior User
I saw that, I was just wondering if that was the final location and you fill up the tank from under the fender or if he located the filler someplace else.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why Re-invent the Wheel.
Find a '56 Panel Truck & use the Frame Mounted Tank from IT, remember to take All the Support Brackets & Bolts for it when you dismount it.
Just be sure to cut out the Indent in the side of the body where the Fuel Filler Spout goes so you only have some minor body work to do on yours.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:26 PM
ladd56f100
New User
Are there 56 Panel truck tanks sitting in yards somewhere? I'd think they are pretty scarce?
tacson: Where did you route the exhaust?

Thanks, Ladd

Old 05-24-2006, 02:44 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Bobby,

I suspect the tanks that Tacson and myself both used are probably the same tank, though the catalog application listing is different. They both have a 31 gal version and the only difference in dimensions versus the 18 gallon versions are the depth. From memory, the 31 gal. versions are about 5 or 6 inches deeper......

I loaded a gallery of my tank install as well.........filler on the passenger side....

Regards,

Old 05-24-2006, 04:52 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

I ended up routing the exhaust outside the tank on each side by about 2 inches. I have one of the Hagan door that is going to be mounted in the fender once I swap out the spare tire fender. I fill the tank by the filler neck that runs up underneath the fender behind the tire. My plan was for that to be temporary but 12K miles later I guess I am having to much fun driving to change it. Been on the road since August of 2003. Hope this helps

Donald

Ferguson you are right the tanks are the same depth is the difference.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,778 Likes on 1,819 Posts
The tank I used was for a mid 80's Blazer. It appears that the dimensions are the same. The only difference I see is where the fuel filler goes intot he tank. On the Blazer tank (and I'm guessing Suburbans are similar) the fule neck come out of the top of the tank to the right of the fuel sending unit (passenger side top). I set my tank up between the frame rails for some more clearance (I have the 31 gallon tank). I used the stock Blazer mounting straps and sending unit (I have GM gauges) and had to build a couple of x-members to hold everything

I routed the fuel filler hose between the frame rail and the bed and used a marine style flush mount fuel filler neck that i set into the passenger side rear fender

Here's a shot before I painted the frame;

Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
I wish I would have read this sooner then I probably could have went to the salvage yard for a tank. I ordered the 70 Mustang tank 22 gal. today that I will probably install next month tshipping cost fifteen dollars less that the tank/sending unit itself. Anyone who has used this conversion what gas gauge are you using. Anyone in the market for a stock type polly tank?
Jaye

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Under Bed Gas Tank