General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

New TV problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TV problems

I bought an "open box" TV and new VCR/DVD player the other day at Best Buy. Both were "Insignia" brand, which I was told was Best Buy's house brand, made for them by other companies.

I hooked the two up to each other with RCA cables (the red, white, and yellow ones), and noticed a buzzing sound when the VCR was turned on, and hooked up. I found that the noise came and went when I plugged/unplugged the yellow wire, which is for the picture, not the sound. Adjusting the volume on the TV had no effect on the buzzing, unless turned all the way down to zero, then the buzzing stopped.

I tried connecting the two with coax cable, and had the same problem. I tried the DVD/VCR on a different TV, with the same RCA cables, and it worked fine. I tried another VCR on the new TV, and it made the same noise.

I concluded there was a problem with the TV, and took it back to Best Buy, figuring to swap it for a new one of the same style, and pay the $20 I had saved buy buying the first one "open-box." They swapped me straight-up, which I thought was a very fair and reasonable thing to do.

Now, I've got the second set home, and it does the same thing. Tried it in different outlets, and with different VCRs. All the VCRs work fine on my father's TV, which also happens to be Insignia brand.

Tried hooking it up in place of my father's TV, using the same wires as his, and it made the noise.

It almost seems as thought the picture tube is interfering with the speakers, somehow.

Any suggestions of what I should try? Take it back and swap it AGAIN? I'm getting a bit sick of hauling the dumb things back and forth, especially since I don't want to leave it exposed in the back of my truck at the store while I search for a cart to haul it in with.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have had buzzing and humming issues when hooking up things like this. Go to best buy and try getting some GOOD cabled. I had to purchase a set of shielded ones, they have a clear sheathing, but inside you can see a foil or braid of some sort. I think mine are 'monster' brand. Anyway, it either solved it or is reduced it drastically.

Give it a shot, if you snag a set at wal mart, you can always return them. It is interference, not sure from what, but that might take care of it...

Keep up posted...

Old 05-22-2006, 02:51 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suggestions of what I should try
Might just be a cheap tv.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
john112deere
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not real fussy about TV's, and my hearing is certainly no better than average. I can't imagine anyone being able to stand the buzzing coming out of that set.

I took it back to the store, and it worked fine on their DVD player with good cables. I expressed my displeasure without losing my cool, and was eventually sold a Magnavox set at a price higher than the Insignia, but lower than the list on the Magnavox. It works fine.

I guess Jake hit it, although I have no idea why it worked fine in the store.