Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10's what years to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 PM
ranger473
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V-10's what years to avoid?

I am looking at buying a 2000 V-10 F-250 99,000 miles to pull a 19' boat or a 7500lb travel trailer in Idaho. I have heard about spark plugs being blown out. Is that a "common" problem with early years? The truck will sit much of the time a I don't want to make big payments for something that sits a bunch. I have had the 7.3 diesels, turbo and non-turbo, in the past. I know I am giving up torque but I don't think that will affect me much with these loads... Should I go newer or switch to a diesel for the same about $?
Any thoughts?

Last edited by ranger473; 05-20-2006 at 10:56 PM. Reason: formating
Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 AM
captchas
welcome to fte and the v10 area. you should be safe with either one. as to the plug problem it's not that common but is found more so in the early ones/ if it does happen you pull all the plugs and put in repair inserts and use the later plug . the kits run about 400 but can save you about 2500 more over replaceing the head or heads.
the milage dosn't mean alot with this motor as it's a very stiff motor. the block has cross bolted 4 bolt mains meaning 6 bolts on ech main. forged steel cranks and lot more.
just if you feel more comfortable with a 7.3 in the same year go for it and be happy.
good luck

Old 05-21-2006, 07:47 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I've got two V10s and I have dents all over the hoods where the plugs have come flying out of the holes, I just take a hammer and beat them back in.

Just pulling your leg , I have owned both of mine from new and have never even had a plug out of one to see what it looks like. Work truck had 97K and it still runs like new and my play truck has 52K and its the same way.

Just to make sure that someone hasn't installed any plugs wrong, just pull the coils and make sure the plugs are torqued to 14 ft lbs.

Denny

Old 05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Genesis
Senior User
Glad to hear that as I have a 2003 V-10 and so far so good.I have heard of this problem before but didn't know how common it was.It was one of the main reasons I bought the extended warranty for my E-350

Old 05-22-2006, 10:41 AM
10strokin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

i believe the problems were remedied in late 99 early 2000 when the Performance Improved heads were introduced. my 2000 V10 has more than 4 threads i am sure as i just changed plugs about 6 months ago. they were torqued correctly. matt

Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger473
I am looking at buying a 2000 V-10 F-250 99,000 miles to pull a 19' boat or a 7500lb travel trailer in Idaho. I have heard about spark plugs being blown out. Is that a "common" problem with early years? The truck will sit much of the time a I don't want to make big payments for something that sits a bunch. I have had the 7.3 diesels, turbo and non-turbo, in the past. I know I am giving up torque but I don't think that will affect me much with these loads... Should I go newer or switch to a diesel for the same about $?
Any thoughts?
Welcome to FTE, ranger473

From a guy with an old '99 model V10, no problems here at all. I don't tow that much, but when I do it's greater than 10K LB and then I do it with a BSEG...

As far as plug blowouts, there's been a few reports, but if you look at the ratio it's not bad at all. You'll hear more about it in a place like this or any forum, but the same goes for any problem(s).

Even those that have the older models, we can install the newer plugs - not because it will increase the threads, (duh!!!) - but because the newer plugs have a plating that protects against corrosion (galling...steel mating to aluminum) better than the original non-plated plugs. Couple that with anti-seize and you get even better protection.

But you should be fine. Just drive the wheels off of it!!!!!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Orn
Welcome to FTE, ranger473

From a guy with an old '99 model V10, no problems here at all. I don't tow that much, but when I do it's greater than 10K LB and then I do it with a BSEG...

As far as plug blowouts, there's been a few reports, but if you look at the ratio it's not bad at all. You'll hear more about it in a place like this or any forum, but the same goes for any problem(s).

Even those that have the older models, we can install the newer plugs - not because it will increase the threads, (duh!!!) - but because the newer plugs have a plating that protects against corrosion (galling...steel mating to aluminum) better than the original non-plated plugs. Couple that with anti-seize and you get even better protection.

But you should be fine. Just drive the wheels off of it!!!!!
I would definitely avoid the 1962 F250's w/the V10. Their heads had 1 thread for the plugs, so, you know, that would be bad.

I think the only V10 I would personally avoid would be a Dodge. But that's just me. My 98 is closing in on 130K. It's a towing *****. And surprisingly, contrary to all the internet vibe, I still have all 10 sparkplugs in their original holders. Although I have heard stories, I have not seen any plugs blowin past me while smoking past chebbies, (can't)Dodge-ems or whatever. I did get smoked by a supercharged Works mini a couple weeks ago. But not til I hit 3rd gear, that wind resistance thingy, I hate it.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ken04
I would definitely avoid the 1962 F250's w/the V10. Their heads had 1 thread for the plugs, so, you know, that would be bad.

I think the only V10 I would personally avoid would be a Dodge. But that's just me. My 98 is closing in on 130K. It's a towing *****. And surprisingly, contrary to all the internet vibe, I still have all 10 sparkplugs in their original holders. Although I have heard stories, I have not seen any plugs blowin past me while smoking past chebbies, (can't)Dodge-ems or whatever. I did get smoked by a supercharged Works mini a couple weeks ago. But not til I hit 3rd gear, that wind resistance thingy, I hate it.
Oooooh, yeah! I forgot about the '62's.... But, the 1 thread was deeeeep...

Is a ***** pert near close to a hootus?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:29 AM
ranger473
New User
Thanks for the replies - I bought one!

We got so tied up in looking for and buying a truck I didn't take the time to reply... Your replies put me over the edge - We bought a very nice 2000 Lariet F-250 Crew Cab V-10 w/67,500 miles - very nice (and quiet after the 7.3's) and we all like it well so far - 2 days...
I am impressed with the whole fte forum also - I can see myself coming here on a regular basis.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:16 AM
skipperw
Elder User
Congrats and Good Luck. Welcome to the good guys forum