Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:00 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires

I currentlly run 38 x 15.50 R15 "Pernelli Jones Dirt Grip" tires. I like them allot, but they are waring pretty fast because my new job requires 400 miles a week. They are also a little loud on the highway. ( not as bad as swampers though) I cant change sizes because my wheels are 14" wide and my gears are 4.88's. I was thinking of changeing to Mickey Tomhpson ATZ's in the same size. The tred on them looks more road like. I was wondering if any of you have experince with them. I would be intrested in ware rates, noise and balance compared to what else you have run. I can tell you that the dirt Grips are far supperior to swampers in noise, ware and balance. They also seem to work just as good in mud and snow. I'm sure the ATZ's are not going to be very good in mud and snow. Snow is not a problem now that I have moved south, but mud is still a concern. I hope their not useless.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
a bit more info on your rig would be helpful. what year, motor, tranny etc.. fill out your sig so we dont ask again as well.

Check out the Toyo Open Country MT/s guys running full size trucks are getting great mileage out of them, are super quiet ( like AT quiet) and come in wide sizes.why are you running a 14" wide tire, a 12" wide would take care of ya even with those size tires. I hope your not running this all on the stock drivetrain

Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
Where do I fill out that stuff? The 14" wheels make the rig way more stable. My truck is wider (at the tires where it counts) than a hummer H1. It's hard to believe, but I have measured. My truck can be turned at high speed and it wont flip. Its amasing for such high ground clearence and that size tire. It looks great also. I will post pictures if I can figure it out. Computers are not my thing. (neither is spelling, LOL) I have upgraded my axles considerabley.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
pictures would be awesome. to enter your rig info go into the Control Panel at the top of the screen and fill out the signature with your specs

Old 05-21-2006, 01:28 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with kemical on that one, 14" wide rims are too wide for a 15" wide rim.
Even a 10" wide rim would work, but 12" wide would be best.

It would be easier and cheaper to buy new rims and skinnier tires(12.50 or so).
BFGs sell some 37x12.50 for a decent price, and would get great mileage, and the M/Ts are good in the mud.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:59 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
I figured out how to fill out my sig. I guess I will work on pictures later. In any case, no way I'm getting differnt wheels. They are my faverate thing on the truck. I actually transfered these wheels from my old Bronco to my new one. You cant get those wheels any more. They are forged from 6061-T6. They dont require clear coat because of that alloy. They are strongest aluminum wheels that can be had. alcoa stopped makeing them because they couldnt compete with the cheaper and weaker cast wheels. Everyone that sees the truck likes the deep dish wheels. I do like BFG's (I ran them for 8 years on my old Bronco) , But they dont make them in my size.

Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
wileec
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not know how much you are spending for that much rubber but it might be cheaper to use it to buy a "cheep" comute vehicle $1000 buys a-lot and would save enough on gas to at least pay for the insurance on the car and more.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:56 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
A $1000 beater would pay for itself in a couple months with that amount of driving between tires and gas. You're going to go through tires every 25k on that Bronco - save them for the mud pit!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
I come to a point in my life that I refuse to drive a beater. I'm not rich, but I can afford to drive something I like. In realtity, I have about 12 grand in my truck. All the people I work with are driving 30,000 doller cars or more. So I have a lot of money to burn in gas to catch up.