Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

swap a 6.9 for a powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Farmall05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swap a 6.9 for a powerstroke?

I was wandering if anyone had swaped a 6.9 for a powerstroke. First the details, Ihave a 86 ford f 250 with a manual trans. I found an entire doner truck a 97 350 but it has an auto trans. I wanderd if the bell housings would be the same(bolt pattern) so I could just get a new fly whel and starter and through it thogether. The next thing I was wandering was would the powerstroke fit into the 6.9 motor mounts on the frame. I allready know I woud need the computor and wiring harnesses. Any help would be apreceated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
bcford6.9
Senior User
Now this sounds like a project! I dont have an answer to your question but keep us posted. lol

Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
JMac444
Senior User
Whats wrong with the 97 get in an accident or something? That would be a project in a half, you would have to save all the wiring, computers, relays sensors ect you kno that tho lol, you also prob need all the interor parts. The driveshafts would match the rear ens i think, may have to be cut idk. Idk if the mounts would be the same. To me an 86 truck isnt worth all the trouble of that and isnt worth all the time and money, unless that 97 is totaled why not just drive that, i kno i would over my 89 f-350.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Farmall05
Senior User
the 97 is an E 350 wheel chair exesable van. I have worked on it since new but I just like my 86 and would love to have something with a bit more power under the hood

Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 PM
seanvicious
Senior User
Originally Posted by Farmall05
the 97 is an E 350 wheel chair exesable van. I have worked on it since new but I just like my 86 and would love to have something with a bit more power under the hood
i would put leopard carpet in it and dub it the babemobile.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it were an F series it would bolt right in, transmission will bolt up, flywheel will bolt up.

But that is the easy part.

You will be running wires for a while, and the E series wiring harness will not fit your truck. I would say you will probably have a month or so doing the wiring.

Remember, your 86 has throttle pedal that hooks to a cable that hooks to the IP.

The Power Stroke throttle hooks to wires that hook to the computer that hooks to more wires that hook to the engine.

I considered it in my 86, I am a master electrician. I bought another 6.9 to install in my truck, I wanted to drive it this year again.

Even if you had a 97 F series donor vehicle, you are going to have to change a lot of stuff. Dash, complete wiring harness that will not fit the 86 right, rear axle, pedals, lots of mods to the fuel system lines, and more that I am not thinking of right now.

It has been done before, but it will be a lot of work.
And until you do a bunch of work to the 97 Power Stroke, you can make an 86 6.9 outrun it a lot easier and cheaper.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 05-15-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 AM
GPSMatt
Senior User
if you have a donor truck then thatl make it a heck of alot easier but liek dave said the 7.3 psd is a direct bolt in just got to worry about the wiring harnes's and everything else but if u have the truck sitting there to switch parts off of that will help a ton.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:27 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
the donor truck and a dictionary with all the bad words in it. Also need some blank spaces to add your own words. Also a shopping spree for the old lady ,, cuz she is gonna stand there and say ... I TOLD YOU SO !

Old 05-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Farmall05
Senior User
Thats kind of what I was afraid you guys would say. I didnt think of things like changing the rear end out becase of the speed sensor. ok how about this route then. Sice I have the powerstroke would it be possible to run that block and put the heads off a na 7.3 and add the turbo and intake. I got the truck for almost nothing I have to not be abel to do any thing with it.(the van that is)Or would it be easer yet to just swap in the turbo.I know I would still have some wireing to do but not nearly as bad. what do you think

Old 05-16-2006, 07:34 PM
GPSMatt
Senior User
Nope the 7.3 uses a completly different in jection system. The injectors are powered off of a high preasure oil pump and they are not the same in any way shape or form... I dont think you will be able to swap the turbo in either because that is controled by the computer. whats up with the speed sensor in the rear end? maybe an abs sensor but the speed sensor as far as i kn ow is not in the rear end there is a sensor that runs off the speedo cable.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry, I missed the manual tranny in the truck, I was after the VSS for the computer and tranny when I said rear axle.

Still it would be a lot of work.
And making a van wiring harness fit a truck means a lot of splicing wiring harnesses.