Notices

Scratch Remover Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 08:01 PM
squeals99
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratch Remover Question

i was just wondering before i do this this weekend...
would it be ok to do a whole vehicle in scratch remover to take all the clear coat scratches out and make it look better?

and also if it is ok to do this would it be ok to go over this with a sealant?

thanks

Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM
LVEILLON
Elder User
I would NOT use scratch remover on the entire vehicle. You need to get a good Orbital polisher (Porter Cable) and get a light cut compound and follow up with a good quality carnuba. Depending on the color of your vehicle. I'm not big on sealants and polymers for dark vehicles.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 AM
fordraceing_man
Junior User
if you did it with scrach X it wouldn't hurt anything

Old 05-26-2006, 10:56 PM
johnnydmetal
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compunding with light cut compund is a good idea but instead of just buffing in new wax I'd take the extra care and do a new clear coat.
Buff the old clear off first and id the type paint that was used and blow 3 coats of the proper clear ontop. 4 or 5 coats will add more depth and would hold up even longer but will require a larger amount of clearcoat.
In the long run your budget and personal skills will determine your choice but depending on the year of the vehicle the manufacturers have been using less paint and thuss a thinner layer of paint on the vehicle itself. when you buff your pulling paint as well was clearcoat so a light touch is required.
If you go to a shop they will tell you the same and youll find that getting a new topcoat is usualy cheaper then a full on paintjob.
I do my own work so this is pretty much just my two cents.
John

Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Dr. Detail
Junior User
Hi.

I assume you're referring to Meguiars Scratch-X. This product is as mild a cut as there is and Meguiars has thickened it enough to dispense from a tube for convenience. As part of the Consumer line it is pretty much fool-proof and can be used on the entire car.

A better choice would be one of their liquid cleaners like Medalion Premium Paint Cleaner (by hand) or Mirror Glaze #2 (by machine). Even their Consumer line Step #1 paint cleaner would do fine.

These products give your clear coat the mildest cut and clean at an aggression level of about 5 on a scale of 0-10. Follow with a cleaner/glaze like their Mirror Glaze #9 Swirl mark Remover and then wax for protection (try their NXT Tech Wax).

Your truck will look great and have a long lasting protection.

For more info and products vist my website www.drdetailforless.com

Thanx for listening.