1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 Fire truck, the good the bad, and ugly

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion the truck doesnt have to make the whole trip, lets just see how close we can get. Maybe we should have some smaller goals like get a battery, have Monsterbaby put a master cylinder on it and find a shop to go through the brakes. Im not sure where Monsterbaby is located but Im sure there is some one around there who can go over the brakes and bearings and Im sure Joe would be willing to pay for it all. Then lets see what we got.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Bobj49F2 here is your first lashing, I totally agree with pretty much everything you said I am a newbie here but I think that truck needs to be trailered home. We all like to be cowboys and get things done but there are just too many things that have a high probability to go wrong.

I also think monsterbaby has allready went way above the call of what I would ask a friend to do, and must be a great guy.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Hey guys....just a suggestion.

I tried the route of honing my wheelcyls on my F-600 thinking that I could save a few bucks rebuilding them. I honed them until the cows came home and couldn't get all the pits out although they "looked" like they "might" work.

REPLACEMENT cyls were about $40 and in retrospect well worth it since they were "plug and play".

My suggestion is that you if are even thinking about putting that thing on the road replace ALL the wheel cyls, shoes, master-cyl/booster and turn the drums. BE SAFE!

(are the tires safe too?)

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited by HT32BSX115; 05-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I purchased my first car, a 1966 Mustang that had issues, my father gave me some very sage advice that I've never forgotten. He told me that he didn't care if the car ran but he insisted it be able to stop. No shortcuts on the brakes.

Unless the brakes looked to have been replaced recently, I would replace all of the brake components on all 4-wheels before I tried to drive it anywhere. Why take a chance?

Joe, I would look at pulling together a wad of cash (at least 2G's and preferably more), a one way plane ticket, a set of tools and heading out to Iowa to get it operable enough to drive home. Plan on smoking a week to get it running and another week to get it home.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary E
I also think monsterbaby has allready went way above the call of what I would ask a friend to do, and must be a great guy.
I'll second that!

Old 05-17-2006, 12:52 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'll second that!
Me, three!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I have been following this whole ordeal since Joe bought the truck a while back. When the relay idea first came up I just thought I would sit back and see how it would play out. I didn't want to give my input because I didn't want to drummed off the board for being a kill joy but this whole relay idea didn't seem to be a good idea to me. There are too many factors that can kill the whole thing.

First, insurance. ...

Second, if you are able to get the proper insurance ....

Third, what is the experience of the volunteer drivers? .....

Fourth, this truck is 50+ years old. .....

I strongly agree with Ross......

There, I said my peace, now I will sit back and take my lashings.
YUP, YUP, YUP, YUP, YUP, AND YUP. This is too true. sorry

Old 05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyB
Joe, I was waiting tell you got it home to make suggestions, but I had better speak up now. My suggestion us to leave the platform and the tank, but cut the tank open on the top, and build a door into the rear - with wood benches running along the side of the tank (inside), you would have a place for people to ride and wave to the crowd.

Firetrucks are nice, but even they look better with a load of girls waving from them.

The platform would make a sharp stand to use as a soapbox for politicians to speak from, or a table to stack museum literature and handouts.

Everything would have to be clean and polished - look attractive and to where a mother would not need to worry about her children getting dirty or cut on a sharp edge. You park this at a children's hospital and the kids will be climbing all over it - until some do-gooder ruins everyone's fun.

I see this not as a factual restoration, but instead an item everyone can have fun with.

I would most certainly send it to a local repair shop and have them fix the brakes and wheel bearings. Not only would you then know that the truck is safe, but it also spreads the liability should something happen. It is unfair to ask Ron to do the repairs and assume the liability should something fail.

I would not worry about the weight of the rig - remember that you are running empty and it has handled all that weight plus water in the tank. I would put a 45 or 50 MPH speed limit on it - (big sticker on the dash!) - to avoid strain on the drive train and engine. It should also help with the gas mileage. The truck could still make 500 miles in a long day's drive.

You also need to make sure that the steering axle has good tires - especially as you have Dayton wheels. You don't want a blowout on the front with those.

I know money is an issue, but safety and common sense has to come first. I would send Ron $400 cash and ask him to take it to the shop for you. If it cost more than that, you can pay the shop direct. If it is less he can do the battery and other repairs that may be needed.

You also need to let us know if this is your personal truck to do with as you wish, or the start of a museum and a parade float available to anyone who wishes to use it.
I agree. Initially, my intent was to use this truck as a personal parade vehicle. After the huge amount of support from you guys, the ideas expanded, and I wouldn't be able to do anything other than the museum, float for everyone idea. The amount of support from you guys in my opinion, makes this truck more like ours, than mine. I may hold the title, and ownership papers, but without you, it would be months, or years before she came home. Taking time, and ideas into consideration, I think we may be better off if I tracked down a truck and trailer willing to haul it over here, for a reasonable amount of money. I too agree that Rob has gone above and beyond, and there are not enough words to express my gratitude. Everyone that has offered to help, has gone above and beyond, just by offering to help. Again, words cannot express my appreciation, and gratitude. As to leaving the tank and platform, I would be leaving the platform, and installing a set of benches. The tank would be removed, as would the non-original pump assembly on the tail board. I do not want anyone getting hurt, and as previously stated, I would have the truck sent to the crusher, before putting someone into a life endangering situation. Before anyone goes further with talk of parts, and condition, let me state this. When I agreed to buy the truck, and this relay thing started, I was put under the impression that the only mechanical problem with the truck was the brake master cylinder. The size of the equipment on the rear was described and photo's to show it being much smaller. With the description and photos I was given by the previous owner, I was estimating the truck to be no more than 9500#. Obviously, we have since found that the description was not quite as factual as anticipated. I was also told that there was no rust other than the pin holes in the tank. Originally, the seller stated fuel tank, but corrected it to the water tank or tanks. I was told that the truck was completely operational, needing repairs to be made to the master cylinder only. I was also told over the phone, that "The truck would probably make the trip to Oregon, just fix the master cylinder, and take her slow." This is what I get for planning sight unseen. I was figuring by the description, that I would be able to replace all the deteriorated rubber parts, give her some paint, and fix up the fire body, and she'd be like new, or at least usable new. I feel that I should get it trailered, and forget the idea of driving it. Too much money, and too much risk. The website could easily be adjusted to lean more towards the restoration, and museum value of this truck, and all of our combined efforts, and future trucks.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Joe,
I know that its kind of a kick in the gut to have to back off on the relay idea. I must admit I was getting pretty excited about it and the truck was not even going to be coming through NM. My personal thoughts are to "just do it" and if it were me I probably would, however, for the reasons stated previously in this post there is alot of things that could go wrong that you don't have direct control over (unknown drivers, unknown drivers experience with large trucks, unfamiliar equipment, roads, etc, etc, etc)
Maybe step into plan "B" and find a way to trailer the truck home and then proceed as planned with having it fixed up as a parade hauler. I still think it could be used as a way to collect donations for St Jude's but probably not until next summer.
I am still interested in helping and will donate to the cause. Maybe if we start passing the hat around the wayward fire truck will find its way home to you.

Bobby

Old 05-17-2006, 03:35 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
One thing that I dont think anyone has mentioned is the fuel tank. I would put money that there is a butt load of rust sitting on teh bottom waiting to plug up the fuel lines. If you decide to drive it I would at least pull and empty the tank to inspect it and at the very least put a new filter between it and the carb. I can't possibly be the only one on this site thats been left on the side of the road on account of this.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:36 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would suggest that getting a battery in it, and fixing the master cyl here might be a good idea if for no other reason than loading it would be a lot simpler if it can be driven onto the trailer, and will make it cheaper too because you won't need a RGN with a winch to get it done. If you find a step deck type trailer that doesn't have ramps, I have access to 3 loading docks that are used for loading and unloading tractors all the time off of trailer (2 are at local machinary auction yards and one is at the local implememnt dealer/lumber store) but to get to these and drive it up would require it to atleast run plus that would make it easier to unload on the other end (you don't want to know how I got it off that trailer)
And thanks guys for the compliment, and just for reference my name is actually Rob.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:56 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Sorry Rob

Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Rob,

You are indeed one heckuva guy and deserve a pat on the back for all your hard work, patience, understanding, and for laying the facts out on the line. My hats off to you (I'll have a cold frosty beverage in your honor this evening)

Thank you
Bobby

Old 05-17-2006, 06:04 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also think monsterbaby has allready went way above the call of what I would ask a friend to do, and must be a great guy

I Agree !!!!!

Last edited by 51ford fan; 05-17-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
jgurland
Senior User
There's another active thread right now about Jag Red wanting to have a truck shipped from Florida to the left coast. I had suggested he try FedEx because they now have car shipping service. Just for fun I went to the "get a quote" page and would you believe one of the vehicles they show is an antique fire truck? Joe, it couldn't hurt to get a quote from them, just to see what you're up against. If nothing else, it will give you something to measure against.

http://passport.fedex.com then click "get a quote"

Quick Reply: 1953 Fire truck, the good the bad, and ugly