General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Children & Pets

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
saftman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children & Pets

Some info for those w/pets and/or small children.

This was forwarded to me..... <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
<O:P></O:P>

I recently had a neighbor who had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. <O:P></O:P>

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals." He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients. (actually he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). <O:P></O:P>

Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking it's own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. <O:P></O:P>

Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals. <O:P></O:P>

This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot. <O:P></O:P>

PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! <O:P></O:P>

Old 05-12-2006, 01:05 PM
cschwer
New User
Old 05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
saftman
Senior User
I stand corrected.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Who makes sure Snopes is Correct ?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
cschwer
New User
Well in this case you can follow their links to the sources they cite. I think ASPCA is pretty trustworthy. I know what youre trying to say though.

Chuck

Old 05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
its really common sense also, what, this stuff is arsenic? walking aorund on the floor isn't going to harm anything.

my nieghbors dog when i was a kid drank a bunch of anti freeze from our house after my dad flushed out the anti freeze in his bronco. all the dog did was get sick and threw up and went on, my dad and the neighbor took the dog to the vet, he checked out fine, he said that dogs have to drink a whole lot (depending on size) to have any serious effect.

what makes snopes correct....good point, but they at least provide references and somewhere someone has to draw the line on what and who to beleive and not or no one would beleive anyone ever.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:48 AM
fred_79f250
Posting Guru
From Snopes:

According to P&G's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), most of the cleaning fluid used in the Swiffer WetJet system is water (somewhere between 90 and 100 percent), with propylene glycol n-propyl ether and isopropyl alcohol making up between 1 and 4 percent each

This is actually related to Ford Trucks - most antifreeze is based on ethylene glycol, which is toxic. But propylene glycol is practially non-toxic. So much so that it's used as a food additive! And recently they've started making propylene glycol based antifreeze.