Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6 Speed question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
ATSDRIVER
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Speed question

I have a 89 F250 with a 7.3 Diesel in it, its on its last leg, 329K miles, tranny is gone, but im still managing to drive it till the end of school. Im looking at getting a 2000-2002 4x4 6 speed powerstroke, i have driven these trucks and love them, i pull a 27 foot fifth wheel and like the fact that i can select a gear for the hill or whatever. My question is, why when you take off in second does the tranny have like a wierd grinding/Lugging noise. Every single 6 speed powerstroke i have ever heard does this. Can anyone tell me what this is, i mean its not a deciding factor in my purchase but im just curious.

Man i tell you i thought buying a new truck would be a fun experience, but it is a hard fact to face that you are about to spend 15-20 thousand dollars. I was looking at a 97 year model but heck i can get a 2000 with similar miles for less money then the 97 lol.

Anyway thanks for any help, and i can not wait to get on the powerstroke band wagon guys.

Mike

Old 05-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Brolli
Senior User
you and me both. i want awsners. i own a 6 speed 99 psd. but it onlys makes the noise if i dont give it any gas.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Believe it or not: at idle the crankshaft speed fluctuates up and down as the inertia of the flywheel is used to compress the next cylinder in the firing order. That slows down the engine. The next combustion event speeds it back up again. If you graphed the crankshaft speed it would look like a sine wave.
All that speeding up and slowing down creates forces in the drivetrain that rattles the gear teeth, the spring loaded clutch disc and makes that grinding noise.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
99-03 7.3's have single mass flywheels which could make you hear some tranny noises. The 6.0 psd with the 6 speed went back to a dual mass because these noises, and compants from owners. It could also be your exhaust rubbing somewhere.