6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

General questions about Ford 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Mosey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General questions about Ford 6.0L

I'm doing some research to see how the Ford 6.0L compares to other brands, ie Dodge Cummins and Chevy Duramax. What years was the 6.0L used? Is it a Common Rail fuel system like the 2003 and up Dodge and the Chevy Duramax? How many Ford 6.0L trucks were sold in each year and how does that compare to the others? My neighbor has a Ford 7.3L and has been really happy with it. How does the 6.0L compare to the 7.3L? They both seem a lot louder than the Dodge and Chevy, why? Dodge owners have for years bragged about the longevity of the Cummins, so how does the Ford 6.0L compare in that respect? I've heard the 2003 6.0L was full of problems, is that true? Have the problems been resolved? The Ford truck seems to be really well built, but I don't know much about the diesel engine, so maybe some of you Ford experts/fans can give me a quick summary. Thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the 6.0 forum Mosey

When you get a chance you might want to cruise over to our Tech Folder for some great 6.0 info.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303583

Please take a few moments to read our site guidelines as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

You have a plethora of questions. Should be a few folks around to answer some if not most. Keep in mind however that the weekends can get slow around here.
  • The 6.0 was introduced for the '03 model year with both the 7.3 and 6.0 available for purchase.
  • Since this is not the time or place to start a "which is better" debate (7.3 vs 6.0) lets just say that the 7.3 has a huge following and has a GREAT reputation and the good 6.0s (which most are) has proven to be very strong as well.
  • Since Ford's experiment with Pilot Injection failed miserably with the '03 MY, most would say that the 6.0 is louder than the Cummins and Duramax.
  • The Cummins is a GREAT engine as well...just has a cheap truck wrapped around it.
  • The '03 6.0 MY was plagued by issues. Most of which have been resolved...however, some issues have followed into the later MYs including '06. Nothing consistent, in my opinion but, issues nevertheless.
  • Some '03 engines were placed in the early '04 MY production date until approx. 09/28/2003. Creating some confusion early on...will likely be virtual confusion for years to come.
  • The improved '04 engine build was placed in production on 09/29/2003 with over 50 "improvements".
  • IMO...the biggest 6.0 issues have been (not in any order) Lack of trained 6.0 techs early on....EGR Valve strategy and it's effects on down stream components...Poorly designed wire routing on early models creating "systems shorting" opportunites...Designed for higher fuel quality / cetane rating than readily available through out the U.S. ...
This engine has many, many, strengths as well...which I am sure others will be happy to address.

Good luck and again, Welcome to FTE.

Last edited by kw5413; 05-05-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bump...Let's see if we can get some activity here.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,590 Likes on 736 Posts
My biggest complaint about the 6.0L is it's lack of low end torque. If I get a heavy load on, Say 10,000lbs and try to back over a curb on a construction job site. I have to put it in 4 low. The truck does not have the power in 4 high to back an empty trailer over the curb, let alone a heavy trailer. Now part of this is that Fords Reverse gear ratio is about twice as stiff as GM's reverse gear ratio. So is it lack of power or poor gear ratio planning?

Also when I stop at a light when on a slight hill or park the truck on a slight hill. If I have a load on it really dogs it for the 1st 25 yards or so. Then the RPMs catch up, Turbo kicks in and I'm to the races. This is sometime hazardous. Not a problem with an empty truck. Lots of times when I'm in rough spots, I want to creep along, Not rev it up and bounce all over the place. 4 Low solves the problem.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
Currently when stacked up against the Duramax and the Cummins, the 6.0 is louder. This has a lot to do with the fact that the other engines employ something known as pilot injection where Ford cannot.

Actually, Ford tried to use pilot injection on the 6.0. Unfortunately, due to the design of the fuel system on the 6.0, pilot injection supposedly shortened injector life and was programmed out of the fuel injection strategy. There are a few quiet ones around somewhere. That made the engine louder, so they tried to use the EGR to quiet the idle down. That too proved to be problematic, so much of that was cut out in the 2005-06 era.

In terms of performance, the Cummins will pull better on the low end than either the 6.0 or the Duramax can. This is largely because the Cummins is a straight six where the others are V8s. Both the PSD and the Dmax will pull better as you approach highway speeds, though. I have towed a little with various Dodges with the Cummins and I have towed trailers all across America with my 2004 F350 equipped with the 6.0 and the Automatic. I haven't had the opportunity to tow a significant size trailer with a Dmax.

The Cummins is a solid engine, no doubt about it. Some on here and elsewhere have expressed hope that Ford will someday adopt the Cummins. Cummins is one of the oldest diesel engine manufacturers in America.

I still think the 6.0 is a worthy contender. The block is rock solid, with a very impressive bottom end and connecting rods. We had a thread on here a while back with comparison pictures between some of the parts, and the 6.0 parts are substantial. I'll see if I can dig it up. I've got 30K on my own truck, most of it travelling cross-country with about 10,000 lbs behind me. She's never let me down, and I've got nothing into it but oil, diesel fuel, and payments to the bank.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Brett, do you happen to know if the connecting rods in the new generation common rail cummins engines are forged or powdered? Curious!