General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Siding My House With Ceder Siding

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Siding My House With Ceder Siding

I would like to side my home with Ceder Siding and would like to hear some feed back on this.

Do you have allot of up keep on Ceder Siding?
Is your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with Ceder Siding?
What are the draw backs of Ceder Siding?
Which Ceder is the best?

OR

Is Vinyl Siding better than Ceder Siding?
What are the draw backs of Vinyl Siding?
Pro and Con's

Is there any web site that one can go to to get information on Ceder Siding??????

Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I think vinyl siding is junk. It looks bad and it doesn't last as long as manufacturers would lead you to believe. It has gotten better in the last few years, but it will still get brittle over time. One good hail or wind storm, and you're done.

With cedar siding, it all depends on how much you want to spend and when. You could put it up, then put a clear sealer on it, which you would re-do every couple years. Or, you could go all-out and put a clear sealer on all sides, prime all sides (acrylic primer), install, then put on two top coats of a high quality coating like Duration from Sherwin-Williams (no affiliation, just a satisfied professional user). Obviously, the second option is more expensive up front, but that process would get you probably 20-30 maintenance-free years, maybe longer, depending on your location. The first option is less expensive up front, but like I said, you'll be doing it every couple years, and the costs will start to add up (labor, labor, labor...).

I like cedar siding, but for me, it's probably a toss-up between that and the fiber-cement siding, with maybe a slight leaning towards the fiber-cement stuff.

Jason (professional painter)

Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 PM
JohnAW
Senior User
I would like something that I would not have to do anything for 30 or more years. Yes I think Ceder is allot nicer than vinyl. But yet you can get the top of the line in vinyl and it will take 190 mile winds.

With Ceder you would not have any bug in your home any more, that is a big plus.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Vinyl take 190 mph winds? You believe that? Will your house take 190 mph winds? I believe you'll need ear muffs from the noise alone. Ripped off the LP siding from the last house and replaced with cedar, simply because.... well, let's say vinyl would have look out of place.

Have Hardi-Pank on the current house, and like it- a lot. Three years is a little soon to tell, but it looks brand new.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read this recent thread on the travails of cedar sided buildings. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=489084

Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
In my experience, it turns gray unless you coat it every two years. Unless you prime it, forget about painting it. You should prime the back if installed over tyvek. WRC is the best. No insulating qualities.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinyl take 190 mph winds?
sure it will, it wont be on your house tho......

Old 05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We have cedar siding on our homes and as far as I'm concerned it sucks. It's rough and hard to paint and needs repainting for sure, every 4 years or it starts looking like crap. Especially if the house's siding is in direct sunlight with no shade. We've found that brush painting is the best. We do use a heavy duty stain though, rather than actual paint. Our homes are going on 30 years old and the siding has held up pretty well in reality. We have had to replace some boards, due to excess cracking or warping, but not that many. Woodpeckers are our worst enemy, but I hope the monster fake owls will relieve some of that pressure. No bugs in the siding, but spiders, etc, still live in the walls. (Ask my wife!!! LOL.. that's another thread in itself!)

I, however, AM interested in learning more about this "Duration" paint/stain or whatever it is. Cost per 5 gallons would be really interesting. But ... if it lasts as many years as you stated, the cost would be worth it. I live in an HOA. We have 4 buildings with 4 units in each one. We have to paint one a year and the costs are skyrocketing so much so that we, this year, are going to start painting the buildings ourselves. Also.. this Duration paint. What kind of coating do you get spraying it or is brush painting also the best for the long run? ( This is not a thread hijack attempt..I promise!)

Old 05-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I have had cedar siding on my home for 39 years, no sealers, no paint, -nothing. No painting!!! I have power washed it once about 5 years ago. Power washing removes a thin layer of wood so I will not do it again for many years. The lower parts turn gray from exposure but the top section is "cedar" colored. I like it and have experienced no problems except the squirrels like to sit on top of the gutter downspouts and chew on the battens on the corners. I figure another 10 years and I will have to replace them. I figure at least another 30 years for the siding and Kansas weather is rough! In 30 years I won't care what it looks like. Most likely I won't be around to see it. Did I mention NO PAINTING!!!

Last edited by Torque1st; 05-05-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:48 AM
buckeyebronco
Elder User
I agree with the upkeep. My father is a professional painting contractor and we had to re-stain an entire 3000 sqft house sided with ceader. NOT FUN!; and very expensive in our area of Ohio.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
We have cedar siding on our homes and as far as I'm concerned it sucks. It's rough and hard to paint and needs repainting for sure, every 4 years or it starts looking like crap. Especially if the house's siding is in direct sunlight with no shade. We've found that brush painting is the best. We do use a heavy duty stain though, rather than actual paint. Our homes are going on 30 years old and the siding has held up pretty well in reality. We have had to replace some boards, due to excess cracking or warping, but not that many. Woodpeckers are our worst enemy, but I hope the monster fake owls will relieve some of that pressure. No bugs in the siding, but spiders, etc, still live in the walls. (Ask my wife!!! LOL.. that's another thread in itself!)
"Heavy duty stain"?!? No such thing. It sounds like you are using a "solid-color stain", which, under the best of conditions, might last 5-8 years. If the siding is not back-primed, I can't say that Duration would be the way to go. It's basically Sherwin-Williams' top-of-the-line exterior coating (they don't call it "paint"). You'd be looking at about $45/gallon, maybe a little less if you set up an account with them.

I, however, AM interested in learning more about this "Duration" paint/stain or whatever it is. Cost per 5 gallons would be really interesting. But ... if it lasts as many years as you stated, the cost would be worth it. I live in an HOA. We have 4 buildings with 4 units in each one. We have to paint one a year and the costs are skyrocketing so much so that we, this year, are going to start painting the buildings ourselves. Also.. this Duration paint. What kind of coating do you get spraying it or is brush painting also the best for the long run? ( This is not a thread hijack attempt..I promise!)
On rough siding, even if you spray, you would need to back-brush or back-roll to work it into the texture. That's true of any exterior coating on anything that is not smooth (aluminum siding is the only type I spray w/o backbrushing). Subsequent coats could be just sprayed.

BTW, are you using an oil-based solid-color stain? On shaded areas of the house, you should get more than 4 years.

Jason

Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
I like cedar siding, but for me, it's probably a toss-up between that and the fiber-cement siding, with maybe a slight leaning towards the fiber-cement stuff.
I like the fiber-cement siding, but it's not turkey-proof.

Ask if you wanna know.

Ryan

Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Don't have cedar, but do have redwood siding (shiplap siding) on the old house (105 years old +/-).

It's painted so I have to do painting upkeep every so often.

I think our siding maybe a bit hard to get, or extremely expensive, because it's old growth redwood; super tight verticle grain.

As for vinyl siding?..........

But JMHO.

Of course, it depends on what sytle of house you have.

Vinyl siding on an old Victorian?..........."Oh hell no".

I'd go cedar or redwood.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Msd2006
New User
We have 22 year old Cedar siding that the woodpeckers just love. After the builder put it on (custom house) he said that it cost him just as much as brick. I would rather have brick. The cedar doesn't keep away bugs at all.

Mike

Old 05-05-2006, 04:35 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Bricks look nice, but here in earthquake country?

Quick Reply: Siding My House With Ceder Siding