Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Stalls - No Warning

Old 05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Rcoy27
New User
Rcoy27 is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 Stalling

I joined this forum because my 92 V10 started stalling after filling with gas and taking my wife to pick up some furniture. It started stumbling when I started it and then would die. Happened several times and I read on here to try some Lucas? gas treatment. It worked and it started running fine after a few miles with the gas treatment in it. Although yesterday it died on me when I shifted from drive to reverse. Still ran smooth and have no idea why it died. I tow a >10,000 5th wheel and have a 3.73 rear end. It pulls great but I get a little nervous when I get it up to 4 grand. I'm amazed that some of you run it up to
>5 grand. This is a great forum.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
BareBones is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Scottay - Mine died as you described about every month to six weeks. Always as I came to a stop, and maybe also at a slight elevation. Under warranty, the throttle positioning sensor was replaced and the problem went away for good.

Another characteristic in my case was that the engine at idle wasn't rock solid, but would vary some, maybe a hundred rpm. Also, after dying, the engine would fire right back up, except that its hard to do that when you're also trying to make a right turn in traffic with a dead engine and no power steering!

Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 AM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scottay
At the risk of being naive, what is the IAC and what does it control?
If you would like pictures with instructions of the IAC removal and install...take a look at my gallery. Here is a link...hope this helps.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=22274

biz

Old 05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
ken04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by captchas
it's called the idle air control valve and after time they tend to stick. esp. when the throttle body carbons up. with that i would take the tb off and with a can of choke/carb cleaner clean all the black crude out and off it .
this would be my first guess also. Mine did this occasionally when cold. If I brake for a light or stop sign before it's warm it'll stumble and try to die. I cleaned the IAC and it went away.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
captchas
captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
my 05 would also stall from time to time going to stop. turned out the 05's had a tsb that needed a reflash and a new tps on the tb. took the tech all of a 1/2 hour to do it all.

a place i'm turning to now is www.motorcraft.com
click on tech resources then bottom left side purchase . for 10 bucks got me 72 hours of research time. down loaded my manuals all of them in pdf. all the tsb's to date. the wireing diagrams .got a oasis report on my truck and a heck of a lot more. when i did go into my dealer to get the truck repaired the tech came out said thank you .you just saved me a 1/2 day of researching. i just drove your truck it's perfect .now how about we go for a drive together to verifie how it feels with you driving. dead on repair . a very good 10 buck 's spent

Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM
William Alford
New User
William Alford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Kerwat: I have a 2002 Excursion with 111,000 miles, It has astalling problem. Shorty before the stalling begins the vehicle shutters a little. Tome, this seem like a fuel system problem, but I have had that system throughly gone over. I think the problem is electrical in nature, can you help me as I do not want to trade away this vehicle

Old 01-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by William Alford View Post
Kerwat: I have a 2002 Excursion with 111,000 miles, It has astalling problem. Shorty before the stalling begins the vehicle shutters a little. Tome, this seem like a fuel system problem, but I have had that system throughly gone over. I think the problem is electrical in nature, can you help me as I do not want to trade away this vehicle
Was the fuel pump relay changed?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:36 PM
William Alford
New User
Fuel Pump

[QUOTE=Krewat;18414026]Was the fuel pump relay changed

No it was not, but the fuel system was inspected for issues, none found

Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM
tiffy2000
New User
tiffy2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
IAC removal guide not found

Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 PM
William Alford
New User
IAC

What does IAC mean

Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
Idle Air Control - it's a servo that the computer uses to adjust the idle.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:29 PM
William Alford
New User
Thanks, seems from what I’ve read the IAC and the fuel pump relay might be the culprits to my stallingissue, thanks