CD player stopped working...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 11:04 PM
lovethosediesels
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD player stopped working...HELP!

So, the other day, I'm jamming out to a cd playing in my 6-disc, in-dash, stock stereo. (2003 F350 Lariat) Suddenly, the cd stops, and the face says "CD Error". So, I turn off the power to reset it and turn it back on....now, it says "No Disc." It won't eject any of the CDs that are in it, and it won't load any other CDs. What now??

Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 PM
FghtinIrshNvrDie
Postmaster
new headunit?

Ryan

Old 08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
PolarBearKing
Freshman User
So is that it?

I'm having the same problem. Is there any way to save the CD's, or are they gone?

No other options at all?

Will the be covered by me extended warranty?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
my 6 cd changer in 03 Focus was covered under extended warranty. Do a search cause there are things u can do to fix it if not warranted. Does it have 4 square holes at the corners?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
There is a history behind this. There is a shop in FL (that I know of) that handles the the "FiX" for about $260-$280 (you take it out and ship-off).

I know a way to get inside and jumping off the Loader/unloader to get the CDs to a place that I could remove by hand or a tool. Its usually a 50/50 chance if the H/U will live again after that .

I've even known a few people to "tear" the chassis all the way down to retrieve all their CDs, but obviously the H/U will be non-functioning, after that...

Old 08-03-2006, 06:08 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome PolarBearKing, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Old 08-04-2006, 05:52 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id say new head unit, and sure you can get the old cds out just rip it apart

Old 08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
PolarBearKing
Freshman User
Originally Posted by merlynr
my 6 cd changer in 03 Focus was covered under extended warranty. Do a search cause there are things u can do to fix it if not warranted. Does it have 4 square holes at the corners?
I did do a search, but maybe you can point me in the right direction, because (if you'll notice) I went back three months before I found this post to add onto. I was under the impression that this was a pretty common problem.

I'd rather just fix it myself then deal with the stealership haggling over a stereo and being without my truck for a day or three. But it is good to know that if I want/need to get it taken care of I can just take it back to Ford and get some of my $$$ back out of the extended warranty, because I haven't needed it yey...Knock on wood!

BTW, yes it does have 4 holes in the corners. Why is that noteworthy?

Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
There is a history behind this. There is a shop in FL (that I know of) that handles the the "FiX" for about $260-$280 (you take it out and ship-off).
That seems kind of steep. I could probably take it to a local shop and get a whole new aftermarket unit installed for that price.

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
...Welcome PolarBearKing, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….
Thanks Tim, I've been a long time lurker around here. Finally signed up 'cuz I couldn't find what I was looking for. Great site and I appreciate all of the info.

PBK

Old 08-13-2006, 04:04 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Disconnect the batteries to reset the head unit. You should be able to retrieve your cds. As for a general fix, mine has worked fine since I did it that but I am careful to use only burned cds and not the originals just in case.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PolarBearKing
That seems kind of steep. I could probably take it to a local shop and get a whole new aftermarket unit installed for that price.PBK
I was just mentioning that if you were a "hardcore" OEM radio fan...

For kicks and giggles....

Audio Unit Self-Diagnostic Test
NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or audio unit self-diagnostic test, the audio unit must be turned on and in radio tuner mode (AM/FM).
  1. To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the audio unit self-diagnostic test.
  1. To exit the audio unit self-diagnostic test, turn the ignition switch or the audio unit off.
  1. NOTE: Turning the ignition switch off and back on may not re-enable the DVD player buttons.

The audio unit self-diagnostic test disables the DVD player buttons. To re-enable the DVD player buttons, turn the audio unit off and back on. The headphone symbol lights up on the audio unit display to indicate the DVD player buttons are re-enabled.
  1. If the concern remains and the fault is not detected....(go see symptom chart)
  1. The self-diagnostic test has 7 manual tests available:
    • Preset button 1 = Audio Internal/External tests. This test verifies the communication to devices internal and external to the audio system. While the tests are carried out, the display flashes SELF TEST. When the tests are completed, the display stops flashing and shows either SELF PASS or SELF FAIL. Failures can be viewed by pressing the tune up button to start the scroll through the list of faults. Each fault is displayed for 2 seconds. After the last fault is displayed, SELF FAIL is returned to the display.
      Internal/external self-test can be exited any time by entering another diagnostic test.
    • Preset button 2 = VIEW/CLEAR DTCs. This test displays and allows the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) to be cleared. If no DTCs are found, the display shows NO DTCs. If any DTCs are present, the display shows DTCs FOUND and can be viewed by pressing the tune up button to start scrolling through the list of faults.
      To clear all DTCs, press the EJECT key. The display shows DTCs CLEAR.
    • Preset button 3 = SIGNAL STRENGTH TEST. This test displays the average signal strength of the currently tuned frequency.
    • Preset button 4 = Software version information. This test queries each radio system controller for its software version information. The software levels can be viewed by pressing the tune up button to start scrolling the various microcontrollers. After the last software level is displayed, the SOFT LEVELS message is returned to the display.
    • Preset button 5 = DISPLAY TEST. This test lights all the display segments for 5 seconds and then turns all segments off.
    • Preset button 6 = MODULE CONFIGURATION. This tests the audio unit configuration. The configuration can be viewed by pressing the tune up button.
    • CD button = CDX6 diagnostic mode. This test displays the last modes and errors that are saved in the memory. While these tests are being carried out, the audio unit displays CD DIAG. The modes and errors can be viewed by pressing the tune up button.
  1. To exit the self-diagnostic test, turn the ignition switch off or the audio unit off.
(Courtesy of Helms, Inc & Digital Dynamics, Inc.)

Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM
merlynr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PolarBearKing
I did do a search, but maybe you can point me in the right direction, because (if you'll notice) I went back three months before I found this post to add onto. I was under the impression that this was a pretty common problem.

I'd rather just fix it myself then deal with the stealership haggling over a stereo and being without my truck for a day or three. But it is good to know that if I want/need to get it taken care of I can just take it back to Ford and get some of my $$$ back out of the extended warranty, because I haven't needed it yey...Knock on wood!

BTW, yes it does have 4 holes in the corners. Why is that noteworthy?

That seems kind of steep. I could probably take it to a local shop and get a whole new aftermarket unit installed for that price.

Thanks Tim, I've been a long time lurker around here. Finally signed up 'cuz I couldn't find what I was looking for. Great site and I appreciate all of the info.

PBK
The four holes is for removal of unit. There are tools available , but all u need is a heavy coathanger wire and fashion two horseshoe shaped pieces the same size as the vertical distance between the holes. The ends of the horseshoe shaped wires need to be smooth and rounded to make it easier. Push the wires in corresponding holes and do both sides(L & R) The wires need to be able to reach a couple of inches deep. Push in until there is resistance and then push a little more to release all four points of contact. Then push wires away from each other(left horseshoe left and right horseshoe right ) using your thumbs. When u are satisfied they are released, pull the radio out while keeping pressure on the clips(wires) Once the radio is freed, you can relax pressure on the coathanger wires. One side of the cd changer comes off easily with a few screws and you can view the cds in there.
If the changer is covered under warranty, the vehicle isn't tied up for a few days as they changed mine in 15-20 min after they got new one in.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
kru
New User
replacementradios.com does that repair for $150. Here's the link:

http://replacementradios.com/product...roducts_id=141