Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM
mmena
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Bronco--Won't Start

Driving via Walmart, it dies--pulled it home and here is what I have
--will turn over but won't hit or even try to start
--hear fuel pump running but no pressure on fuel rail. Cannot get anything out of the schrader value. Maybe pump hasn't ran long enough to fill rail system.
--pull codes and get 41,62, 87, Check ineretia switch and it works. switching will turn off pump or I don't hear it running at that point
--put gas into intake and it won't hit, plus pulling plugs I find no spark
--12 volts to coil
--changed out ignition module on dist and nothing.

What else can I check before I start replacing parts, one by one.

Oh how I wish for points and 4-barrel carbs. Now those were the days!!!!!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Code 41 indicates that you have had O2 sensor readins that are lower than the known parameters for the last 40 operations of the engine.

Code 62 is a failed 3-4 shift solenoid or a problem with the circuit to it in the E4OD transmission.

Code 87 is most likely your problem. If the inertia switch is not tripped, check for battery voltage at the fuel pump relay (12VDC approx.) No voltage = dead inertia switch. Voltage but still Code 87, check the wire from pin 22 of the ECA (EEC-IV computer behind the passenger kick panel) to the FPR (fuel pump relay). If there is voltage at pin 22 of the ECA, Resistance between the FPR and pin 22 on this wire must be LESS than 5 ohms and it must NOT be shorted to ground or power. If the wire tests good, replace the FPR. The wire in question should be LT. BLUE w/ an ORANGE trace. If the problem/Code 87 persists, you may have computer problems that necessitate replacement.

Last edited by greystreak92; 05-01-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 AM
lightdragon
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mmena
Oh how I wish for points and 4-barrel carbs. Now those were the days!!!!!
4 barrels i can understand but why points?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Um if the pump runs when you turn the key but no pressure it sounds like a bad pump. A bad pump can draw unusual current and can possibly cause that code too.

Points are the suck and carbs too. Carbs can be just as much a pain just gotta know how to trace these problems. Electrical grimlins can be so frustrating.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
mmena
New User
Ok--but why is it that if I "shot" gas into intake by opening the butterflies, it will not even hit or try to start on that gas. Seems like with the presence of gas it would try to start and run for a short time. I had a 83 bronco which I had to replace the tank so I have been there and done most of it--nice and dirty.

Also, I can hear the pump running but I agree it could still be bad or pumping at low pressure.

on the points/carb--was much easier to trouble shot-

I will look at it tonight and ck voltages-and thanks.