Sponsored by:

Lower Intake - 89, 302

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 AM
lbianc1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Intake - 89, 302

Ok. I have had a bad oil leak for a while. I thought it was the valve covers so I changed those gaskets and put it back together only to still have the same leak.

I cleaned it up, drove it till it leaked again and closely inspected it. The oil was coming from on top of the transmission bell housing and dripping around the transmission and ending up in the rear main seal area.

I took the upper and lower intake off. Now being able to see what is behind the lower intake, it doesn't seem too oily. Could there be anything else back there that may leak? The valve covers are fine, I can see both of those.

Also, when I re-install the lower intake, is there a certain gasket I should put on there. I think I've read somewhere that you should get the 89 302 lower intake gaskets from the dealership b/c of a recall or someting. Is this true?

One last thing. Are there Fuel injected performance lower intakes that I can replace this one with? My existing one has a chip in it in the back. I've kept my eye on it and it seems like it doesn't leak but I can't be 100% b/c its too hard to view it. If I'm going to replace it, I might as well put something better on there.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
lightdragon
Freshman User
if youre going to replace the lower you might as well replace the upper as well hmm... that leak sounds familiar my 89 did that once.... when i remember what was leaking ill post

Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
lbianc1
Senior User
Yeah, I'd replace the upper as well I suppose.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:28 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Only thing back that far is the knock sensor and its outside the crankcase in the skirt for the tranny bellhousing. The PVC valve and its vacuum line into the upper intake are back there but if the PCV is pulling that much oil through the valve is dea and you would be having all sorts of engine troubles. Rear seak on the lower intake possibly but if you have it apart and it doesn't look like it was the source, you've got me scratchin' my head.

There aren't any aftermarket lowers that I am aware of but Edelbrock makes an upper for the EFI 302's and 351's. Its got a removable cover at the top of the runners so they can be accessed for polishing and port matching.

Old 05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
lbianc1
Senior User
I was curious about the knock sensor if it was able to leak oil but I guess not.

I had checked the PCV valve for a leak and it was clean.

Its got to be that lower intake, I can't think of anything else.

So what kind of gasket should I put down there. Is aftermarket ok for this thing. I know its very picky in what it wants. Before I took it off, all I had was a bead of silicone in the back. No valley pan either.
What do yall suggest?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:20 AM
lbianc1
Senior User
here is a set-up I found at Summitmade by Edlebrock. Anybody have any expirience with it?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
lbianc1
Senior User
no ideas on the gasket huh?