Sponsored by: DP Tuner

right side vs left side

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM
polar88
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
right side vs left side

I've got a 99 350 dually 4x4 with 117k miles. Today I took apart the front brakes as I heard the 'horrible' noise. The driver's side was fair, about what I expected for the mileage. The passenger side was absolutely destroyed and the cause of all the horrible sounds.

What would cause such a difference between the two sides? When I put it all back together tomorrow morning, do I need to do anything particular to adjust for the wear difference? Any little secrets or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polar88
I've got a 99 350 dually 4x4 with 117k miles. Today I took apart the front brakes as I heard the 'horrible' noise. The driver's side was fair, about what I expected for the mileage. The passenger side was absolutely destroyed and the cause of all the horrible sounds.

What would cause such a difference between the two sides? When I put it all back together tomorrow morning, do I need to do anything particular to adjust for the wear difference? Any little secrets or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Air in the lines but most likely stuck piston on one side causing other side to do all the work. Stuck from possible water in the line or leaking boot causing corrosion on piston wall. You will likely need to address this problem or at least eliminate it or suffer the same fate shortly down the road. Just a guess from your info but I've seen it before. You may have a frozen caliper, or one side is so pitted/corroded it may be ineffective.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 AM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The slide pins were probably sticking on the bad side. Common problem on our trucks. This would keep the pads from retracting fully and would cause extra wear. There are several good post about slide pin upgrades and repairs on the site. You probably need to do something about your rotors as well. Do some searching and you will get some good info. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:09 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend finding a post by Guzzle92 and checking his website which is linked in his sig. He has some GREAT!!! articles on mods and maintenance, and particularly on lubing the caliper slide pins.