Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool No Power

Hey Gang, just got started on doing the Banks Upgrade I mentioned in an earlier post. I got the intercooler, tubes and the mode 2 (80HP) chip installed. After running great for about 30 minutes, the chip gave an instant SES light and killed the engine like a failing CPS, so I know that it is going to have to be reprogramed. Due to the easy access, I was able to remove the chip. The engine started right up, but it is running like half of it is dead.

The problem is there is no power after removing the chip. I cannot get it over 2500 rpm and it takes a while to get there (55 mph sucks for 80 miles). I did have to remove the ECM as the plate was was not cut and to get the blank out.

Any ideas?

Last edited by pmasley; 04-30-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM
DavidT.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have gauges? If so what are were your gauge readings? I would double check your IC hoses, clamps and tubes to make sure everything is properly installed. Then I would get the SES light checked out for what codes are stored in the ECU and go from there. Let us know.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:19 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to disconnect the batteries to kill the power for a few minutes and see if that will reset the computer. Don't know if it will work or not, may be worth a try.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:13 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
No gauges yet. They are on the way. The truck did not get hot. I noticed the lack of power before I got on the interstate. Right after getting on was when it shut down. It seems like there is no Boost or no fuel.

I have disconnected the batteries overnight after not getting any codes with the Sanp-On scanner. All boots are tight. My first thought was a clogged air filter. I changed it with no results and then disconnected the batteries.

Still stumped. Man, I need the truck this weekend. Daughter has a horse show. It won't pull the trailer in this condition.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get an upgrade on the MAP sensor with the kit? I believe it required a 5 bar sensor due to increased flow. Then again, I could be talking out of my tailpipe. THis is usually a requirement when we go "bigger" on the Turbo cars. I know that the diesel is a completely different machine, but boost and flow are....well, boost and flow.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
On the diesel, the map does not have to be upgraded. I talked with my Ford Mech and he said that it does not have a "Limp Home" mode and I will probally have to bring it to the shop and let him scan it with the old Rotundra.

I hope disconnecting the batteries last night reset it.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Talking FORD'S Better Ideas!

The chip is going to have to be reflashed from an auto to a manual. Dangit, I knew better than to try that.

Well, after doing some probing I found the problem and also learned a valuable lesson. The boot coming off of the cooler on the passenger side had came off on the bottom. Now, I know most repairmen will put the clamps on where they can be accessed from the bottom. What a PITA. After using 16 inches of extension, I finally got the danged thing loose and then could not get the boot back on the tube.

Now for the lesson. Take the danged tube out and put the lower boot on it first. Clamp that mother down good and tight and make sure that the tube is at least halfway through the boot. Slide the upper boot completely on the tube and take the clamps apart. Slide the lower boot on the cooler and slightly tighten it so that it will still move, but not slip off. Line up the upper tube against the turbo and slide the boot into place. Pull the upper tube out no more than 1/4 of an inch and clamp it down. Then do the same for the cooler clamp.

During this process, I found two of "FORD'S BETTER IDEAS!"

1.) Put the dang coolant jug in the way of the lower tube.

2.) Wrap the tripod sensor wires (ones attached to the a/c box) around the tube (One on top and one underneath.

Way to go, you dang bunch of dummies (addressed to FORD)!

Loosening the coolant jug did not provide any more access, just made a mess. I had to take the tub loose again just to put the wire harness back in place.

Now, after doing this once and taking the greater part of an hour to figure out how to get through the jumbled mess FORD made of the passenger side compartment, I figure that I can now change the boots in about five minutes on either tube.

My luck, now watch the ones uder the turbo blow!

Old 05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so.. is it fixed? will your daughter still be showing?

Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
OH YEAH! THE SHOW IS ON!

Got the problem taken care of for now. The truck seems to run a little better with the Banks cooler and pipes. Waiting on Banks to ship the turbo adapeter so I can put of the Big Hoss exhaust (another freebee). Also waiting on the gauges. Once these are in and I will contact Jody to find out what turbo wheel he wants in there so he can do me a five stage turner chip.