The Real Diablo Chip Opinion and Towing Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:15 PM
bcashmoney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quit reading all the other postings on performance chips, this is the one you are looking for when it comes to the Diablo Delta Chip. I read several before actually making my purchase, but I wanted to provide others with the EXACT details of my experience so they can formulate their own opinions.

CLIFFNOTES VERSION OF THIS POSTING: Buy the chip! It is worth every penny!

BACKGROUND:
In 2002, I purchased a 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC. The reason for my purchase was to tow my new boat, which is approximately 4,200 lbs in towing weight (trailer + boat). The horsepower and torque of the V6 SOHC was moderately close to the V8 version of the Explorer. I chose the V6 because of better gas mileage and considering that I would only tow the boat during the summer time. However, I found there just wasn’t enough oomph there to do the tow job like I wanted. If you have not purchased a vehicle, go buy the V8 Explorer and stop reading (unless you are interested in more power out your V8). To learn about my experience for increased towing power (not capacity), please read on.

OPTIONS CONSIDERED FOR TOWING POWER INCREASE:
I evaluated four different options for upgrades to my vehicle to increase towing power (not capacity):

1. Trade-in for an equivalent Explorer with V8 ~$5,000 (loan pay-off, trade-in, minor sales tax, etc.)
2. K&N Intake ~$230
3. Catalytic Converter Back (Catback) Exhaust ~ $330
4. Diablo Performance Chip ~$240

The V8 option was ruled out due to it being uneconomically feasible.

I feared the K&N Intake a little bit because I feel it runs a higher potential for foreign particles to enter the engine intake and thus the cylinder chambers (maybe I am just too conservative being an engineer). That in turn would increase engine wear. Also, the power increase was less than that listed for the chip with almost equivalent costs.

I decided against the Catback system because three catalytic converters exist on the vehicle and those are the major restrictions in the exhaust. I felt that I would get severely diminished returns in added power from a Catback system due to the multiple catalytic converter restrictions.

I chose the chip because it “claimed” the best power results, was most economical and was an easy installation. (Note to potential buyers of the chip: Read ALL the instruction, i.e. both sets, so that you know you must remove the gel coating on the computer contacts on BOTH sides of the computer board. I installed the chip twice because I only read one set of instructions that did not specifically state this.)

RESULTS:
Overall: The chip has made my vehicle very noticeably quicker in terms of acceleration. At freeway speeds, it has more power for acceleration. I passed a vehicle on rural road and my vehicle did so with little effort on the gas pedal. I am definitely pleased with the overall enhancement to performance for the vehicle by adding the chip. A very cost-effective improvement to increase vehicle power. I also noticed that after about a week, the performance of the vehicle seemed to really increase. I am assuming this is because the computer had to re-learn my driving habits after being disconnected from the battery during the installation. However, as Ken would back me up, I did notice immediate results.

Towing: I towed the boat around this last weekend and WOW! What a difference in acceleration! The vehicle seemed to accelerate while towing the boat much more smoothly and easily than prior to the chip installation.

Gas Mileage: I always ran premium gas in my vehicle when towing anyway, so the chip’s requirement for premium was not a big deal to me. I would also like to note to those persons who do NOT drop their foot to the floor every time they accelerate (like me), the chip actually improved my gas mileage a little bit. For an identical 80-mile trip, I got 21.6 mpg with the chip versus 21.0 mpg without the chip. (I have a command center that tells me the exact mileage in a digital readout.) Also, the 21.6 mpg was through some Seattle area traffic, so I probably could have even gotten a little better mileage without the traffic. Also to note here, prior to installing the chip, I switched to using premium gas and discovered that I got improved gas mileage, which directly offset the additional cost for premium fuel (typically about $0.20 more per gallon).

Shifting: The new shifting and shift points are fantastic! No question about it, and nothing more to say.

The Switch: The directions were INCREDIBLY lacking for ideas on how to install the switch inside the vehicle. I took a day to think about it and came up with this… I installed the flip switch through hole in the firewall where the computer is housed. The hole is the size of the computer, so it can easily fit the switch and wire(s). The problem was that there were several obstructions to getting the wire through (i.e. a black corrugated tube, a mounting bracket for something (?), foam under the dash, etc.) I knew that the hole went all the way through because when shined a flashlight through the firewall hole, I could see light from the inside under the dash. I used a straightened-out wire coat hanger with a string attached to it. The string had a screw tied to the other end to act as a weight. I pushed the screw through the firewall and then it dropped (via gravity) into the dash area. I looked inside the dash through an open area of the opened glove box to find my string with the screw attached. I used a “grabby tool thingy” (I don’t know what else to call it) to slide in past the open glove box and grab the string/screw. Once I had the string, I attached the switch wire to it with some electrical tape and then just gently pulled it back through the firewall, exactly the way the string went into the firewall. Attach the wire to the Diablo Chip, reinstall the computer, and mount the switch somewhere and you are done!

LED for Program: I opted not to get this, as I did not feel it was warranted for my application (i.e. I was too cheap to spend the $40)

Final Comments: As for whether the chip harms the engine, transmission or exhaust, I have yet to verify that myself. Per the FAQ posted by Ken, it will not harm the engine and may potentially increase the life of the transmission, but I do not recollect anything being said about the exhaust system. All in all, I would recommend the Diablo Delta chip to anyone who desires increased performance at a very affordable price. You may not like the premium fuel requirement, but keep in mind that in my case, I actually got better mileage, which offsets that added cost of premium (chip or no chip).

I do have a question about the chip, but I will post that under a separate thread titled: “Diablo Chip – What is That Noise”. If you are interested, please look for it.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:25 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the incredibly detailed feedback, it helps us to improve.

A couple of things:

1. Did the instructions include our Ranger/Explorer installation sheet in addition to Diablo's instructions? Diablo's instructions are lacking, our's should have been detailed.

2. I include a sheet detailing the settings and operation of the switch. The reason why there are no instructions as to where and how to mount the switch is there isn't just one way to install it. Some people put it in the ash tray area, some on the steering column, some in the dash. All require you to drill a hole and I don't want to tell anyone where they should decide to put the switch. Additionally, with so many models of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda vehicles, there's no way to write general purpose switch mounting instructions. Some people don't even mount the switch but opt to secure it under the dash and just use it if they decide to turn off the chip (ie, stock mode).

3. Any suggestions for improving the installation instructions for Ranger/Explorer?

Old 05-22-2003, 11:08 PM
bcashmoney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pleasure to provide the feedback. When I was reviewing the chip postings on this, I felt nobody had taken the time to post something detailed like I have there, so I sincerely hope it helps other people.

1. Yes, I received those instructions and used them to do my first installation of the chip. After reinstalling the computer with chip, the vehicle would not start. Instead of immediately calling tech support, I reviewed the procedure and the troubleshooting guide. Then, I went back my shipping box and found the second set of instructions that were prepared by Diablo. Upon reviewing those, I realized that I had not scraped both sides of the computer connector terminals. I removed it and completed the scraping job, followed by reinstallation. It started right up at that point. I concur that your instructions are much more detailed than Diablo’s, but I suggest reviewing how Diablo’s instructions presented the scraping procedure. It seems that your instructions are missing the steps for removing the ECU cover so that you have full access to the computer connector terminals.

2. Agreed that there is not one way to install the switch itself, but I was not interested in where exactly to mount the switch. I was interested in how to get the wire inside the vehicle through the firewall. As you know, I kind of thought about it for a day before scheming something up. Providing some hints on how to get the wire and switch through the firewall and inside the vehicle would nice. I chose not to physically mount the switch because at the time, I had not decided to keep the chip. I used a zip tie to hide it up underneath dash below the glove box. Now that I have decided to keep the chip, I realize I don’t really need to access it. So I likely will never do a more permanent installation than that. I just wanted it hidden from view.

3. The Ranger/Explore Directions, in my opinion, were actually really good. I do suggest the following:

a. Instructions similar to Diablo’s (with the pictures) for removing the ECU cover and scraping the computer gel coating on both sides. (I just reread your instructions and realized I missed the part where you say to scrape “both sides. My bad!) I agree that Diablo’s lacks for getting the computer out of the vehicle, but I guess I feel that they were really good once you got the computer out of the vehicle.
b. Add hints for getting the switch wire inside the vehicle through the firewall (feel free to plagarize and modify mine if you wish). Agreed that you should not make mention of drilling holes beyond what you state in the directions you sent with the switch. Also, include a sketch of the switch showing the “notch”. It wasn’t readily intuitive, but I figured it out.
c. It appears that on my set of Ranger/Explorer instructions, Steps 11 and 12 are reversed. I chose to secure the computer box to the firewall (Step 12) before reconnecting the wiring harness (Step 11).

That’s it I think. Again, I do compliment you on your instructions as they were better than the Diablo ones. If anything else pops into my head, I will post it or get a hold of you somehow. Congrats on providing a quality product for enhancing performance.