Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Overhead console info needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead console info needed

Does anyone know if all early 99's with the overhead consoles displayed the outside temperature? I took mine apart today to hook up an automatic dimming review mirror and noticed that the unlit and unfiltered LED display showed an area for a temp display. I just got the truck a month ago and it has never displayed the temp. Is it fried or was this an option that this truck doesn't have? Thanks for any info.

Marty

Old 04-30-2006, 08:09 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Smile Look behind the grill

Look behind the grill on the drivers side, and you will see the temp probe if yours is equiped with the outside temp gauge. It is just behind the grill. You shouldn't have to take the grill off to see it but it is painfully obvious if it is there...kinda like an upside down sparkplug with a wire hanging from the bottom side of it..Hope this helps....Dave

Old 04-30-2006, 08:14 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
I didn't even think to look for that. Thanks. I put an Explorer console in my Ranger and had to put the probe in the same area. I'll take a look. If not there then I assume that must have been an option. Wonder If I could hook up a probe to the display unit I have or do you think I'd have to change out displays too??? Thanks again.

Marty

Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Not sure on that one

I'm not sure on that one. If the display and computer setup has the temp options then maybe adding a sensor might work...but then again, the circuit boards may not have the circuits for the temp even if the display has the temp info in it.......might be trial and error on this one...Hope it works out...Dave

Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 AM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Yep I agree, it's probably a crap shoot one way or the other. The junk yards are pretty reasonable around here, so to avoid trial and error, I'll just pick up a console or display that has the temp sensor in front by the radiator. Thanks again for your help. It's appreciated.

Marty