Sponsored by: Moser

77 f250 460 help Cranks but no fire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:50 PM
slenherr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
77 f250 460 help Cranks but no fire.

i have a 77 f250 with a 460 was running fine and its been sitting for about a week now and will not start will just spin over and over is getting gas but i cant get any fire any help thanks

Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
sounds like a spark issue to me. Pull a plug, ground it to the frame, and turn the engine. If you don't see a good hot blue spark, there's something up. if fuel and spark are there, then check the timing. It almost has to be one of the three.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So the topic is Engine cranks ...No Ingition ?

There is a complete step by step trouble-shoot guide for ignition problems in the articles.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 PM
slenherr
Freshman User
yes i pulled plug wire off and stuck screw driver in it and held a little ways from block and no spark

Old 04-30-2006, 09:11 AM
lasthighboy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check if your coil wire is still connected, maybe it accidentaly got knocked off. check for spark from your coil wire before the distributor. also be sure one of the little wires didn't come off of your started solenoid on the fender. my highboy used to do that but if i remember correctly it wouldn't turn over when it did. check it anyway.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Craigster1
Senior User
Sorry, but the list of possibilities is too long based on your general description of the problem.

Over the years the same thing has happened to me on several different occasions. In each case I have found the causes to be one or more of the many ignition components. Sometimes easy, sometimes difficult to find. What I have learned is to follow a testing procedure. This lesson was expensive and frustrating as evidenced by the good parts that were replaced because of my suspect ion rather than trace down the fault and replace what was needed.

Here are the easy places I start;

Check rotor and cap, make sure the little black button is in the inside top of the cap.

With the key in the run position do you have power at the coil and if so what is the voltage?

With the cable to the starter removed and the key in the start position, do you have power at the coil and if so what is the voltage?

Old 05-27-2006, 11:54 PM
peterbiltford
Freshman User
ok ok, this has happened to me many many many times, and 99% of the time it has been the ignition control module, if it has one. My truck would run great for a month, then it would die, testing them doesnt really help in most cases, but i keep 4 or 5 handy incase it happens again. I have disected many of these gadgets, and there is a resistor that ive found in a few that shorts out, and if its too moist in the air, or too hot it wont complete the circit. its the only foolproof thing out of the whole ford electronic ignition system. replace the module

Old 05-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Mil1ion
New User
What brands are you meaning?

Motorcraft, Niehoff,Standard,etc ?

Old 05-28-2006, 01:10 PM
lasthighboy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it could also be the pickup coil in the distributor. it went out on my dads 77. i swapped the coil and ignition modules off my highboy, and mine would still run on his parts and his wouldn't run on mine. his still didn't run after replacing the pickup coil but that is because the connector to the ignition module was broken and i didnt get it plugged back in right after swapping it. he straightened that out and then it ran. but the pickup coil was the original problem. TOM, if you have got your problem fixed yet, let us know what it was

Old 05-29-2006, 09:47 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
man just do this one progressively.

If no spark at the plug, then check the coil, if there's no spark there then look for voltage to it, if there is spark there then get a new cap and wires.

If no voltage then trace some wires until you find voltage.

A 77 won't have an ignition module.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:05 PM
F1rocco-NY
Senior User
Check your brass tabs on your Voltage regulator...They corrode and desinigrate pretty fast..

Old 05-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
A 77 won't have an ignition module.

~~~~~~~~~~
Huh ?

77's have Durspark II
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion/DurasparkII.JPG

In fact as early as 75.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...ssIgnition.JPG

74's had

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...ntIgnition.JPG

Old 05-29-2006, 11:28 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
I'm thinking about the ignition module that's the coil pack/distributerless ignition style. I was not aware that there was another type.

Is it a type of relay from the ignition to the coil? With a distributer there should just be constant voltage to the coil right? No need to direct the spark energy, and no need to change the voltage or current, so what's it there to control? I thought it was battery-ignition switch-relay-coil-distributer-plug wires-plugs-spark. Guess I'm wrong, but I still can't see a need for more in a distributer ignition system.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
slenherr
Freshman User
found problem broke wire going to coil thanks for the help

Old 05-30-2006, 08:25 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by amish77
I'm thinking about the ignition module that's the coil pack/distributerless ignition style. I was not aware that there was another type.

Is it a type of relay from the ignition to the coil? With a distributer there should just be constant voltage to the coil right? No need to direct the spark energy, and no need to change the voltage or current, so what's it there to control? I thought it was battery-ignition switch-relay-coil-distributer-plug wires-plugs-spark. Guess I'm wrong, but I still can't see a need for more in a distributer ignition system.
Distributor systems need a way to trigger the coil. Early systems had points. When Ford did away with the points (in the mid 70's trucks, earlier for cars) They went to a magnetic reluctor that triggers an amplifier that in turn triggers the coil. The module is actually an amplifier.

Quick Reply: 77 f250 460 help Cranks but no fire.