Sponsored by: DP Tuner

How to increase fuel mileage on 7.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lushman
Doesn't International publish one of these white papers as Cummins is like a four letter word around here!
Not that I have ever seen, but the principles in this white paper (and it is interesting too) apply to all diesels in general:
  • Every 2% reduction in aerodynamic drag results in approximately 1% improvement in fuel economy.
  • Above 55 mph, each 1 mph increase in vehicle speed decreases fuel economy by 0.1 mpg.
  • Worn tires provide better fuel economy than new tires, up to 7% better fuel economy.
  • Used lug drive tires can get up to 0.4 mpg better than new lug tires.
  • Ribbed tires on the drive axles provide 2–4% better fuel economy than lugged tires.
  • Every 10 psi that a tire is underinflated reduces fuel economy by 1%.
  • Tires make biggest difference in mpg below around 50 mph; aerodynamics is the most important factor over around 50 mph.
  • The most efficient drivers get about 30% better fuel economy than the least efficient drivers.
  • Idle time is costly. Every hour of idle time in a long-haul operation can decrease fuel efficiency by 1%.

Efficient Driving Behavior

The following is a short list of behaviors exhibited by those drivers that consistently obtain good fuel economy. Simple behaviors, like coasting to a stop instead of staying on the accelerator until the last minute and then braking hard, add up to significant fuel savings after thousands of miles.
  • High average vehicle speeds with minimum time spent at maximum vehicle speed
  • High percent trip distance in top gear (90+ % recommended)
  • High percent distance in cruise control
  • Minimum percent Idle/PTO operation
  • Minimum service brake activity
  • Number of Sudden Decelerations
  • Service Brake Actuation's/1000 mi

Last edited by nlemerise; 05-01-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Hotwheelbill
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by s10dreamer
Ok if my brother used this programmer http://www.superchips.com/product.phtml?p=13&mmk=1090&msg=%2B how much would is fuel mileage increase? Also would he need to install any extra guages if so what kind?
I have a Super Chips that came with the truck and I see a 2-3 miles diff from stock and the number two setting on the programer. If I were to buy my own, I would buy from Jody, he's the man for chips and programs.
Gauges, YES! Trans. temp, Boost, and Pyro meter to see what your Exhaust Gas Temps. (EGT'S) are. The last time I did a milage test I got a best of 17.3 with my DRW, 4X4, CC with 4:10 gears. I have been meaning to do another now that I have added 5" exhaust and some other mods, but I can't seem to get a true reading now that my foot gets in the way. LOL!

Old 05-01-2006, 10:08 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
"When accelerating, keep the revs at or below 2000 - If I cruise at a steady 65mph, I can get well over 20mpg"

That is exactly what to do. I drive it like grandpa. My last fill up with diesel @ $2.69 I had gone 422 miles on 22 gallons of diesel. Thats mixed highway & city.

With the prices at the pump right now, I do not have a problem driving a little slower. Just finally glad to see diesel $.20 cheaper than gas again.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:59 AM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Talking

Originally Posted by empiretc
With the prices at the pump right now, I do not have a problem driving a little slower. Just finally glad to see diesel $.20 cheaper than gas again.
Not around here. The oil companies love to talk about how there is no price fixing, no price gouging. I can assure you that a gas station that has gas 30 cents per gallon higher than the station across the street does NOT have their pice high to maximize station profit - they have it high to cover the cost they are charged by the oil company.

The other thing is, in this area about 1/4 of the stations have diesel at 5 to 15 cents lower than regular gasoline. About 1/4 have diesel 5 to 10 cents ABOVE premium gasoline. The rest of the stations have diesel priced somewhere between lowest grade regular and premium gasolline prices.

This makes no sense and obviously has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with arbitrary prices the oil companies charge individual stations.

Today, prices for diesel (that I saw coming to work) ranged from $3.17 to $3.62. Guess where I filled up.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Oh, gasoline prices: regular ranged from $3.26 to $3.35, premium from $3.47 to $3.71.

It is a good thing there is no crude petroleum shortage or prices might actually be high.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
It varies around here as well. The citgo I usually fill up at has a lot of big trucks in so I trust their diesel. They have it for $2.69 and unleaded for $2.89. I have seen diesel at other stores higher than unleaded.

If only the tree-huggin peguin lovers would let us drill alaska.

I just laugh how they play the audio clip a lot now of Nixon and his infamous statement: "We will never see $1 gasoline."

I sure as hell believe it, too bad its the opposite of what he meant!, LOL

Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
There is, in fact, one very large, untapped reserve of petroleum in the world, far FAR larger than ANWAR in Alaska. By international treaty, no country may drill for it.

However, I'm certain China is there now - or is preparing to go there in the immediate future.

Antarctica. Without drilling, no one can be certain how much is there. But based on research that has been done, and comparing results to oil-rich areas, conservative estimates put petroleum reserves in Antarctica at just less than the total of what is known to exist in the Middle East.

I'm all for developing it and telling the anti-Western (well, they hate us but love our money, anyway) Middle Eastern, war-brokers and hate-mongers to go pound sand.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
amen to that

Old 05-01-2006, 07:54 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by arninetyes
...war-brokers and hate-mongers to go pound sand.
I believe that's what they were doing before the US and Britain explained to them that the black crap oozing out of that sand was worth money.

So, from tents of goat skin and cat-hole toilets, to palaces with golden toilets. All of a sudden they became princes and kings.

It's our fault and it was bound to happen.

Antarctica or bust!

Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 PM
s10dreamer
New User
Originally Posted by Hotwheelbill
I have a Super Chips that came with the truck and I see a 2-3 miles diff from stock and the number two setting on the programer. If I were to buy my own, I would buy from Jody, he's the man for chips and programs.
Gauges, YES! Trans. temp, Boost, and Pyro meter to see what your Exhaust Gas Temps. (EGT'S) are. LOL!
Once again i'm a newb when it comes to diesel. Why do you need to keep the temps down? What happens in the exhaust gas temps get to high? How much would it cost to install guages? Could they be mounted on the A-pillar in a guage pod? Whats a Pyro meter is it a sensor that goes in the exhaust system?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
my $.02
Rules of thumb>> every time you go past 2000 rpm you just cost yourself about 1 mpg average on a tankful until you hit 12 mpg

Blowing away the rice rocket cost you at least 2 more cups of fuel. there are 16 cups to the gallon.

It gets WAY better mileage at 55 than at 60, 65, 70, 100.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
GeoffNJ
Elder User
Originally Posted by s10dreamer
Once again i'm a newb when it comes to diesel. Why do you need to keep the temps down? What happens in the exhaust gas temps get to high? How much would it cost to install guages? Could they be mounted on the A-pillar in a guage pod? Whats a Pyro meter is it a sensor that goes in the exhaust system?

Thanks for all the help so far.
You can fry your turbo for one. The whole thing and they aint cheap. These engines prefer mild heat. Look on the websites of some of the sponsors for gauges and yes, they can be mounted in the a-pillar. I think a complete set will run about $300+.

The pyro is the EGT gauge. It would tell you when your exhaust is too hot and when to ease off the throttle. Normally it would get hot when you are pulling a trailer or when you're pushing the pedal to the floor. Another for the boost to monitor the turbo. And a gauge for the auto tranny temps. That's another pricey item.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Medic 66
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arninetyes
There is, in fact, one very large, untapped reserve of petroleum in the world, far FAR larger than ANWAR in Alaska. By international treaty, no country may drill for it.

However, I'm certain China is there now - or is preparing to go there in the immediate future.

Antarctica. Without drilling, no one can be certain how much is there. But based on research that has been done, and comparing results to oil-rich areas, conservative estimates put petroleum reserves in Antarctica at just less than the total of what is known to exist in the Middle East.

I'm all for developing it and telling the anti-Western (well, they hate us but love our money, anyway) Middle Eastern, war-brokers and hate-mongers to go pound sand.
You said it!!!!!!!!!