Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

New tires or an Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:50 PM
glipscomb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires or an Alignment

(Ford Explorer '98 XLT 4.0) I just had two tires replaced because of unpatchable flats in Nov '05 and March '06, so now I have two new tires and two old tires. The new tires are on the back and the old are in the front. Since the last flat, I have noticed a fast vibration when I travel about 65-70 MPH or more. It was really noticable this after I had my flat fix but I did noticed it some time earlier before the flat. Also, occasionally when I drive I get a little movement in the steering wheel which leads me to believe it maybe an alignment issue or maybe a steering issue. I had all tires balanced 3 times by the tire company. My question is, do I replace the old tires or get an alignment, I cant afford both so I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
well... try rotation, If you rotate the tires and feel the vibration coming from a different part of the car. That's a free way to check out a vibrating wheel. To test alignment, try this. Measure the distance from the front of the wheels and tha back of the wheels, This will allow you to see if it's towing in or out. A little in is ok, but too much and it's worth fixing. measure halfway up the tire, and use a level to get the line to the same level, this will affect your measurements.

You could go Road force balancing, but if you do then you're out the money of it.

Hope it helps.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:57 PM
glipscomb
Freshman User
Thanks I will try what your suggested.