Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What should I do??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What should I do??!!

Hey fellas I am faced with a problem, maybe you can help me decide what to do. I was driving home from work last week on Friday in my 95 GMC Jimmy, when suddenly it stalled on me going down the freeway . I pulled over, popped the hood and started checking for the obvious. Everything looked okay...no belts missing, hoses leaking, fire, etc. Try as I might I could not get it restarted, I called a friend and he came out there to get me. We got back to my house and grabbed my 84 F150 along with my buddy's car hauler to retrieve the Jimmy. After I got it back to the garage and doing some checking, I discovered the engine is not getting fuel. The fuel pump seems to be working fine, I replaced the fuel filter, and it still isn't getting fuel. I suspect it is the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel injector crapped out. For some of you who aren't familiar with the fuel system on the CPI Vortec V6s, there is a single injector, with 6 poppet valves (one per cyl.) the injector, regulator, poppets, are all one assembly. I know these are notorious for going out on this series of motor, if the fuel system is not kept clean. I run fuel injection cleaner with at least every other tank full, and run 89 or better octane fuel. This wouldn't be such a big deal except I have gone through 3 sets of these injector assemblies in less than 3 years! I mean WTF!! I am trying to decide what to do at this point, the cheapest set of injectors is $370... why should I keep having to replace these damn things?! I am thinking about selling this vehicle and buying something similar in size and bodystyle but not another GM. I am not a big fan of Explorers, I was thinking maybe a Jeep Cherokee XJ with the 4.0 I6. The 4.0 is my 2nd favorite I6 (next to the 300 Ford), plus I prefer an inline over a V6. I really don't want to buy another vehicle, but I am faced with a battle I can't win. The Jimmy really is a nice ride, but I simply cannot afford to be replacing the injector assembly every 10 months! Besides being a unibody, what do you guys think about the Jeep Cherokee XJ? Would it be an upgrade or a mistake to replace the Jimmy with? I am lost at this point what should I do?

Last edited by Pkupman82; 04-24-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I would suggest posting the top part of the question (regarding the fuel system) in the Gen Auto forum.

As for the Jeep vs. Explorer, the Jeep's engines are very reliable (and pretty easy to work on), but thier electrics and build quality isn't all that great - but then, neither is the Explorer.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
I suppose I could grow to like the Explorer if I owned one (that is how I grew to like the Jimmys and Blazers), but I really like the straight six offered in the Jeep. Plus I much prefer an inline 6 over a V6 because of its more useful powerband, longer life, and durability. I pretty much have my mind made up on it I just don't want to deal with these stupid expensive problems that the GM has given me. Aside of that I want to find a vehicle with manual transfer case. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM
okst1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you like the Ford 300 6 cylinder, why not buy an older model full-size bronco? There's one on Ebay for $1500.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
what yr exploder? if u can i would opt for the 4.0 SOHC, good gas milage (realitivly speaking) with plenty of get up n go.

of course, like u i love inline 6s, so a heep is kinda tempting.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
I still want some off road capability (4wd is a must), more importantly decent/good mileage (17 and up mpg at least). I haven't totally figured out what went wrong yet I know it's most definately a fuel problem. I thought about a fullsize Bronco, but the mileage isn't that great. What year Explorers came with the SOHC 4.0? One of the main reasons I don't care for them is they rust out really easily up here in MI. Besides the inline six I like the fact that the Cherokees come with manual transfer cases. I wish I could just get like an old IH Scout with a lil 4 popper/ manual trans... those things were tanks!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
okst1
Elder User
An IH Scout came with a 4 cylinder?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by okst1
An IH Scout came with a 4 cylinder?
Mmm Hmm sure did, they were torquely little devils! The Scout IIs did I am not sure if the Travelers did though. I wouldn't mind a 345 V8 but they would be hard on fuel for a daily driver. I suppose I could drop a 300 Ford six in there with a 4 speed...mmm evil ideas are brewing ! Love those ol Scouts!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Mmm Hmm! Sure did, they were torquely little devils! I know the Scout IIs did, but not sure about the Scout Travelers. A 345 V8 would be nice but too hard on fuel for a daily driver. I could drop a 300 Ford six with a 4 speed into one of those...hmm evil ideas brewing!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Tstorms
Junior User
Did you check the fuel pressure? If the fuel pressure drops below about 55psi on this system it wont pop the fuel nozzels so it will not get fuel to the cylinders. I have seen the fuel pump get weak on many of these systems and drop the fuel pressure to around 40psi witch seems like a lot of pressure but this system wont work at that pressure.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
I did some checking on it last night, I think I have a weak fuel pump. I have to do some work on my Dad's Astro van, he said he would buy me the new pump as payment for fixing his van. Hey why not, right? I really don't want to sell this vehicle, it's payed for and I really don't want to be paying on a new one.