1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

65 F500 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:03 AM
pacecar78_vette
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65 F500 Engine Swap

I was hoping someone could answer a few questions about a truck I was looking into buying. A little backround about it is it is a 1965 F500 tandem axel grain truck. The body is in fair shape as is the wooden box and the hydraulics are said to work, and the rest of the truck seems to be in good shape. The bad part so far is that the engine is seized from stitting for over 10 years. The price is right at $50 though. I have also noticed that the master cylinder for the brakes seems to be sticky, it takes a long time to return from the floor when pressed. The questions I have are about the engine and brakes. Does anyone know what size the engine in it is? I was told it was a 400, if so I happen to have a remaned 400 in my garage, but when I look at the mounts it looks as though on the f500 there is a front mount, but not one on my block. Will the engine I have fit if I make mounts? Will it bolt up to the trans? My other question is with the brakes. Is it possible to rebuild that master cylinder or swap a differnt one in from a newer for vehicle, possibly one with dual resivors? I see that this one only has one pressure line out. Please email me at nathan@jamesmking.com with any help, as I am new to checking responses on here.

Thanks,

Nathan

Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
66beater
Senior User
Welcome to the Site. your email address was removed by the spam filters, so you'll have to get responses here.

$50? Wow, great price, and a lucky find!

As for the engine, it shouldn't be a 400. its possable someone swapped the 400 in, but not likely. that would be a bad engine choice for a big truck. ( the 400 is essentualy a smalblock ) The correct engine should be an FT series. most likely a 330, 361, or possably a 391. Those engines can take FAR more abuse and make more torque at the RPM a big truck needs than a light weight 400 can. The good news here is the FT is a heavy duty version of the FE series engine, and as such, a relitivly cheap 390 can be mounted in there.

As for the brakes, the easy answer is yes. Yes, that sounds broken, and yes, you should be able to swap in a newer style master cylinder with dual lines. The exact year MC you will need I don't know, but post 68 through late 70's should work. The conversion should work basicly like the conversion done to the F100s of the same era. there are many posts in the archives here on how to do it, the search function should help.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 PM
pacecar78_vette
New User
Thanks for the info....Will any of the accesories or the intake fit on the 400? Or will it bolt up to the bell housing?

Old 04-24-2006, 02:05 PM
66beater
Senior User
you might be able to use the generator, maybe. thats about it for accessories. as for the rest? No. Their bell housings aren't compatable either.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:23 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
66beater, I must respectfully disagree with you about him using a 390.
The FT series engine is not incompatible, but the time, frustration and money he will spend to get an FE to replace an FT will not be insubstantial.
I went through this with a friend, and we finally abandoned the project and rebuilt the FT.
The biggest issue he will face will be the front crankshaft snout, and the front engine mount. The FE front timing cover cannot handle the weight of the engine on the mount, but the FT front timing cover oil seal won't seal against the FE crank snout because the FT snout is much larger.

There will be issues with exhaust manifolds and exhaust as well.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:18 PM
66beater
Senior User
While I respectfully bow to your expertiese, i've seen this conversion done using the front motor mount from a FE equiped 4x4. As you pointed out, the FT's front timing cover mount won't fit the FE, but the 4x4's FE front mount will. I know not all 4x4's used this mount, but I have seen it in 4x4s with the T98 and T18 granny transmissions and devorced transfer cases. I've also see this setup on a 2 wheel drive 74 f250 with a granny gear. the FE 360 was front mounted.

The exaust issues can be solves in 2 ways. using the FT's exaust manifolds, or using the FE style, but swapped right to left, to take the pipe from the front of the engine

Old 04-24-2006, 03:31 PM
pacecar78_vette
New User
Sorry guys but you kinda lost me there a little. If you could maybe explain it a little differnt, I didnt follow the timing cover discussion. Is that where the engine mounts now? If I fabed up new mounts for the sides of the 400 I have (believe its a big block), will it bolt to the bell housing thats in there? I could make custom exhaust if I had manifolds, but unfornately I only have the remaned block and heads for the 400, and am missing the rest, that is why I wondered if the intake and exhaust manifolds would be swappable. I am trying to get by on a fairly conservitive budget. If I tracked down the rest of the accys for the 400 and maybe the bell housing that came off a 400 will it bolt to the trans? Or where can I find a replacement engine for this truck, what else fits? Thanks for all the help, I will take all I can get.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
66beater is correct - if you can find the right parts. Here is the issue:

Your current front mount system is for a timing cover designed for a larger crankshaft snout, the one on the FT engines, 330 361 or 391.

To put in a 360, 390 (or any other FE engine), you will need to find the front timing for a small snout, as found on the FE system.

The correct FE front mount system can be found for sure on '65 and '66 4x4 trucks

66beater has indicated the proper front mount system exists later. I have never seen it later than '66, but that would be great if you can find it. It would greatly simplify your swap from FT to FE.

Does this help?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
pacecar78_vette
New User
Thanks for all your help. If I understand you correctly you are saying that I can find a differnt front motor mount off of a 65 or 66 4x4 truck that will bolt to my 400 and to the frame on the f500 to adapt my engine. Is this correct? Will I need other parts from the donor truck to adapt the engine. When you mentioned the timing cover snout size is that in the mount, or the cover it self, or is that all the same thing? I am confused as to how the front mount system works. If I eliminated the front mount system and made side mounts will that work? Otherwise what other adaptation issues am I missing? Bellhousing? Thanks again, you guys seem to know the most of anyone I have asked and I appreciate your paitence.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 AM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
You are mixing up apples and oranges here.
1. The 400: Throw it away, at least for this project. The 400 will not bolt up in any fashion to your truck. You could make it work by welding up brakets and supports, and finding another bellhousing and transmission clutch setup and driveline -and -and etc. It will not bolt up.

2. The difficulties 66beater and I mentioned are for putting in a 390 (FE series) to replace your current FT motor. FE motors are easier to find, and will bolt up to your truck. If you wish to put in a 390 or 360, you will need to find the front mounts from a 65 or later 4x4.

66beater may be able to tell you more. I have just about exhausted my knowledge of the subject, as I was never able to finish the swap.

Good luck on the project, though!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:53 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Pacer, Forget the 400. It will not deliver the torque that will be needed to run that big truck. It is a different engine family and will not bolt to the bell on the tranny, and if you did have a manual bell not sure if it would work with the big truck tranny.

The FT/FE engine is a much better choice for the truck. Whatever money and energy that you might spend fabing on the 400 would be better spent on trying to revive the most likely 330MD that is in the truck now.

As far as the brakes go the master and wheel cylinders will need to be rebuilt/replaced. Other than off road low speed testing you don't want to trust lives to not rebuilding the brakes and getting out on the road with it.

Sitting not being used is the worst thing that you can do to any vehicle. If you can use the truck the $50.00 purchase price is awesome. If you don't need the truck passing on it is a better option. IMHO

John

Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Bob P1
Freshman User
If this truck was driving when parked 10 yrs ago, I'd say the engine is fine and will just take a couple of hours "freeing' it up. I've started engines that have sat 40+ years plus. Start by pulling all the plugs and put kerosene down the cylinders. Be patient and let it sit for a few days. Spray anything that is exposed with penitrating oil. You could either try and turn crank with breaker bar or flat tow to get the engine to spin.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
pacecar78_vette
New User
I just got a lead on a running front mount 63 292 v8 out of a 3/4 ton pick up. Do you know if that will bolt in?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
66beater
Senior User
yes and no. The bell housing won't work. if you can get the bell housing that was on the 292, then this will only be a few steps harder than making a FE fit. The trick part here will be the clutch fork. that f500 should use a 1- 3/8's input shaft on the transmission, and uses a bigger throwout bearing. the bearing needs a bigger shift fork, and you'll need to sorce one that fits in the 292's bell housing. Or you might be able to find a transmission to trade with the more normal 1-1/8th input, and use the parts that come with the 292.

on the upside, the 292 is every bit as heavy duty as the FE's are. much better for a big truck than the 400

Bob P1 has a good point. 10 years ain't nuthing for an FT engine to sit. if it's not turning over, it could be a sticking clutch, a frozen starter, or just a need for the pistons to be pre-lubed. have you tried to start it yet?

Old 05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
pacecar78_vette
New User
I will have a complete running 63 pickup with a 292, so I can take whatever I need off of the donor vehicle. If the 292 runs a smaller clutch setup will it take the abuse demanded from the weight it needs to move this big truck? Will I use the bell housing and clutch setup from the 292? Will that interface with the F500 tranny? I guess I dont know how differnt a transmission is in those trucks compared to a normal truck trans. As far as freeing up the original engine I dont know if thats possible that is why I was thinking the engine swap route. As you know those hoods swing forward as they go up, and the hinges were bent resulting in the hood not shutting and leaving a gap a the back exposing the carb. Also unfornately the air cleaner was not installed allowing all the elements, snow, rain, etc to enter the engine. When the plugs were pulled they had pretty heavy rust on them. But any tips to free it would be appreciated. Thanks again for all your knowledge and help.

Quick Reply: 65 F500 Engine Swap