1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Woosh from the turbo, is it a bad sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 PM
erik_bishop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woosh from the turbo, is it a bad sound ?

I recently installed the kwik filter on my truck, i am now hearing the sound of boost pressure comming back out of the filter. it happens when i am getting on lots of lead foot and once i claim my place in line on the highway i let up on the lead foot and i hear the Woosh sound.
after commenting on the cool new sounds my truck makes i was told that the cool sound you are hearing is a bad thing and that while you are pouring the coals to it and then let off the fuel real quick that Woosh sound is your Turbo spinning backwards. and that it will harm it over time because of going one direction under acceleration and then an instant direction change after you let off the fuel?
any of this true ?

And i would like to add that i have 5" exaust on the way. May 5th is when i plan on performing the Install.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:38 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
I'm not sure, but if it happens when the tranny shifts, then it might just be a wastegate issue. May have nothing to do with the new intake at all. I'm guessing that the sound was made b4 the new intake, but since it's a bit more free flowing, you can hear things better. If it happens whenever then I'm more likely to be wring on this one.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
terrapin88
Mountain Pass
I just did the kwik mod this weekend and mine makes the same whoosh or darth vader noise when I let off the throttle. From what I've read on here it's always done that and I'm only hearing it now because of that Napa 6637 open filter.
mine can sound like anything from a whoosh, to vader, to even a screech type whoosh when I get out of the pedal.
if it's the same sound that myself and everyone else here has described then I would not worry about it.

Also, don't believe everything that someone tells you whether you think they are knowledgeable of not. Do your own research like you are doing now. The guy who inspected my truck told me that filter was a bad idea as it will suck up all kinds of water. He doesn't own one of these trucks. All the guys on here that do own them say no problem so I'm going to go with thier experience intead of what an inspection station guy who doesn't own a PSD tells me.
Also, I've never once had a problem with hair growing on the palms of my hand, so there's another misconception proven untrue over and over so to speak.

Good luck.
Chris

Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by erik_bishop
after commenting on the cool new sounds my truck makes i was told that the cool sound you are hearing is a bad thing and that while you are pouring the coals to it and then let off the fuel real quick that Woosh sound is your Turbo spinning backwards. and that it will harm it over time because of going one direction under acceleration and then an instant direction change after you let off the fuel?
any of this true ?
Do you really think the turbo is spinning backwards even though it is being driven by the exhaust which continues despite letting off the loud pedal? As long as the engine is turning over, even idling, it's pushing the vanes. That woosh is just the pressure you were building going out the intake, the easiest exit for it.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:30 PM
BuickTurbo
Elder User
The turbo is not spining backwards, it is stalling. Slowing to a point where the backpressure can overcome the air being pulled in.

Just shy of actually going to Garrett myself, I can tell you that the sound you hear is not hurting anything. You may notice a deficiency in power when it happens, however slight it may be (yes, I know that can be considered as hurting things). Our engine builder (racing BGN's) had been sent to training at Garrett when he was an aircraft mechanic. This man has been building/rebuilding turbochargers ever since. I have known him for 20 years and have no reason to doubt him when he tells me that the flutter is not hurting the turbo. Only when you are in high boost (40+ psi) with the appropriate turbo for your application can you start to produce damage.

A stock turbo with a PMS rating of up to 8 won't hurt these mules. Crappy maintenance will.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 AM
erik_bishop
Senior User
So everything is ok then, i get a cool sound and i am not hurting anything, i feel much better.
I knew i would get the best and most accurate info from you guys, the masters of the Power Stroke Diesel.
thanks again
oh and only 11 more days till i get to install my 5" cannon Exaust. yep i am counting the days.