4.0L V6 engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
waldreps
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.0L V6 engine noise

I have a 2000 Ranger XLT with the 4.0L V6 (X in the VIN). I assume that makes it the OHV and not the SOHC. The engine runs fine and gets pretty decent gas mileage. It has 100,000 miles on it and is in good tune. But, at idle and only at idle, the engine makes a clacking, rattling noise. It's not lifters clicking but sounds more like a loose exhaust part maybe but not exactly that either. It's almost like multiple parts are rattling around. Anyway, I got under the vehicle and the exhaust seems fine. The sound seems to be coming from inside the engine, maybe from the bottom end. I know it is very hard to guess on such poor descriptions of the noise, but could someone take a guess or let me know if you've run across something similar.

Thanks,
Stacy

Old 04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
jwh
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You say exhaust parts noise....just guessing maybe a loose heat shield on a muffler or converter?? They are notorious for coming loose. Long worm-gear hose clamps around everything is the fix for that.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:59 PM
waldreps
Senior User
No, it's not exhaust. I thought it was at first but when I crawled under the truck, the exhaust is fine. It's coming from inside the engine.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Some '98-'00 4.0L OHVs are prone to giving off a "marbling" sound at idle.

In '98 the pistons were redesigned in order to reduce the engine's overall recipricating mass and hence improve NVH. Unfortunately, this change resulted in the piston being able to move around in the bore which can sound like marbles rattling around in a can. Here's what Ford has to say about it:

15226 - 4.0 OHV MARBLE NOISE

Some 1998-2000 Ranger/Explorer equipped with a 4.0L OHV engine may exhibit an engine noise that may be perceived by the customer as a "Diesel" type noise and is known as Marble Noise. Marble Noise is clearly heard when the vehicle is at idle, under 2000 RPM or under very light/no load. High mileage studies of the condition show no adverse effect to engine life or performance. Cleaning carbon from the combustion chamber will have no effect on the Marble Noise condition. Marble Noise is a characteristic noise of this engine and cannot be serviced with an engine exchange.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 AM
bigwillie
Freshman User
My 95 OHV also sounds like this at idle especially when cold, sort of a diesel noise, is that just the way these engines are? Should I try a heavier weight oil or something?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
waldreps
Senior User
Thanks, Rockledge, that's a pretty good description of what I'm talking about. Well, that answers my question, and I hope it doesn't cause any problems. Thanks for the info.

Stacy

Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 PM
DKBLURANGER
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Some '98-'00 4.0L OHVs are prone to giving off a "marbling" sound at idle.

In '98 the pistons were redesigned in order to reduce the engine's overall recipricating mass and hence improve NVH. Unfortunately, this change resulted in the piston being able to move around in the bore which can sound like marbles rattling around in a can. Here's what Ford has to say about it:
Yeah right FOMOCO,
Thanks Rockledge for a copy of the TSB, maybe Ford can supply me with cotton or disposable ear plugs I can pass out to prospective customers when I sell it.
If I wanted a diesel, I would of bought a Super Duty, certainly not a gas engine that sounds line one...........lol

Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM
bradcdavis00
Senior User
My 02 Exp XLT does this too. After it heats up for 3 or 4 minutes it goes away.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bradcdavis00
My 02 Exp XLT does this too. After it heats up for 3 or 4 minutes it goes away.
That's only related to the 4.0L OHV, not the SOHC.

You hearing your timing chains?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
floydguy
Junior User
piston slap

the marble sound is a.k.a. piston slap

Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM
DKBLURANGER
New User
Thanks bud

but piston slap normally occurs when the motor is cold, you will notice in my posts that this noise occurs cold and hot
Would not piston slap diminish once the engine is warm and that the piston is now round, instead of the nornal oblique shape? Given, of course, the engine is at normal operating temp?
Correct if if I am wrong, but pistons are not a perfect circle, they are obliqe, and , after warming up then, and only then do they become a perfect circle?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM
atvchick
Freshman User
I have my 2001 ranger 4x4 4.0 in the shop right now getting the rear timing chain replaced have to pull the motor to do this,i started hearing a rattleing sound comming passenger side rear of the motor.maybe you will have better luck than me but from what i hear this is a problem with sohc 4.0.in my opinion that is a very poor design by ford and i will never own another one.hope this helps and keep us informed.thanks kevin

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 AM
DKBLURANGER
New User
I'm glad that my 4.0 is the old Cologne design, while is is not the most sophisticated designed motor, it does not have a rear timing chain. How Ford would ever engineer an engine with that setup is beyond me.....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
atvchick
Freshman User
Does anyone know if this timing chain problem was fixed in 02 and newer i was thinking of just putting a new motor in.thanks,kevin

Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Tree Doc
New User
I experienced exactly what Rockledge cites on my '98 Ranger SCab 4x4. I squawked the problem numerous times and all they did was attempt to treat Carbon buildup on the pistons. I continued to squawk and Ford put a new motor in my rig at 50k. It does it, too! When I was experiencing my initial issue, Ford didn't really know what the heck was going on. I have 143k on the truck now and keep it well serviced and so far, no issues.

Quick Reply: 4.0L V6 engine noise