6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van
View Poll Results: Turbo Failure / EGR Valve Status
EGR Valve Disabled (Closed)
8.06%
EGR Valve Enabled - Malfunctioning (Open)
19.35%
EGR Valve Enabled - Functional
72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Poll For Owners With Turbo Failures

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
new diesel guy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just had my turbo go out this weekend. My weekend started out with the cooler tube blowing off. As soon as I heard it I knew what it was--thanks to this forum. Put it back on and went about 50 miles when I lost power with in 2 miles of a dealership on a Saturday. They sent a driver on a two hour round trip drive to get a part. They replaced the backpressure sensor, the map sensor and the egr valve. They had problems still with the egr and installed another with the egr still sticking open, so after sitting in their for over six hours I told them what I had read on the egr being disconnected. They tried it and it worked for a while. Was running a little warm and funny going up the hills of AZ. Got into Globe and spoke with another 6.0 owner that pulled up next to me getting diesel. He said he would run it until it blew. Well it happened about 20 miles north of Globe. The first dealer is paying the deductible to the Globe dealer to install a new turbo and the inter-cooler that it blew out. I am being told that the turbo over-pressurized which would explain the egr sticking open. They are installing it as I type. I have a 03 250 with an AFE intake that I just installed before the trip. It has about 88,000 mile on it. I just bought the truck two months ago and this was my first haul. The good part is I got the dealership that I bought the truck from to reimburse the tow of my trailer off the mountain, since my insurance would only pay for my truck.Hey, I am just glad it is all covered and I had friends to come and get me home.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Rwalker29
Junior User
I used to live in AZ, i was staioned at Luke, AFB for almost 4 yrs, and i know how the AZ heat takes its toll on a vehicle and its engine. I have only been to Globe twice so i cant giv emuch of an opnion on that place. ANyway, i just got a calll form my service advisor and was told that a couple of bolts on my turbo were (faced) stripped i guess and he was having a hard time with that, an all day affair i guess. This is after he told me that it was almost done at around 1130 the same day. I think he is blowing smoke up my a$$ or something. All i know is that i wont be going abck to that dealership again. Anyway, where did you buy your truck at? I know of a few places down there that were pretty shady with what they sold. Well, good luck on your ventures with the service department.

Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 PM
new diesel guy
Freshman User
Yea, I'm at Luke. Been here almost ten years-minus a year in Korea! I bought it in Safford and saved about 6000 dollars going there.Not bad for a 6 hour round trip drive. So, Im still way ahead. I was headed to a place around Show Low that I have never been before--Big Lake. I will try it again later I guess. How do you like Utah. Stationed at Hill? Or did you get out?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Rwalker29
Junior User
I went to luke in 2000, was assigned to the 308 FS before it went to the 756 AMXS/308 AMU. Then to Kunsan in the 80th AMU for a year, from feb 04 to feb 05, then to Mt. Homein the 389th AMU, the worst place in the world. i got out this last march. I couldnt take it anymore. The crew chief world was killing me. Now i work at Hill, in the civillian depot working on the C130, not too bad , its decent pay and super easy work.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM
rosco_p_coltrane
Senior User
Would a bad turbo cause lack of power when cold? I was at a friends house a while back and parked on their steep driveway. The truck sat for about six hours, then when i went to leave the my excursion wouldn't even back up the driveway until I let it warm up. How embarassing. Once warmed up for about 10 min it runs fine. If I have to make a fast transition into traffic when the truck is cold, I'm screwed. Is it just the nature of the beast, or should I take it in to the dealership. Eventually the turbo will spool up but only if you lean into the trottle for a good amount of time. Its a 2003 Ex with 49k miles mixed highway/city.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Rwalker29
Junior User
being that this is an electronic controlled turbo, i wouldnt doubt it.Everything is electronically controlled on these engines, even throttle movement on the engine. I know that when my truck is cold, it doesnt like to get up and go quickly, but i can get in it and go with out hesitation like yours, i would take it to a tech to have it checked out.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rosco_p_coltrane
Would a bad turbo cause lack of power when cold? I was at a friends house a while back and parked on their steep driveway. The truck sat for about six hours, then when i went to leave the my excursion wouldn't even back up the driveway until I let it warm up. How embarassing. Once warmed up for about 10 min it runs fine. If I have to make a fast transition into traffic when the truck is cold, I'm screwed. Is it just the nature of the beast, or should I take it in to the dealership. Eventually the turbo will spool up but only if you lean into the trottle for a good amount of time. Its a 2003 Ex with 49k miles mixed highway/city.
Sounds like the turbo vanes stuck open. Take it in and have it looked at. It's a common problem.

Mike

Old 06-22-2006, 07:03 PM
new diesel guy
Freshman User
Well my truck is still in the shop and they just ordered a third turbo. Amazingly enough it keeps throwing a code for the egr but it is actually the turbo. Hope to get it back tommorrow. No wonder Ford is putting a new engine in there. This one is costing them a lot of money.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Rwalker29
Junior User
Sorry to hear that guy, i got mine back yesterday, just replaced the turbo. I am on my 2nd one now. 3rd one if you count the one that was in it when i bought it. Seems to work really well now. Very little smoke, no lag at all. Cross your fingers for me huh!!!!!

Old 07-09-2006, 05:38 AM
ABN-RGR
New User
My 05 F250 with 18,853 miles is currently in the shop and has been there 5 days now still waiting to even get looked at. Apparently there are plenty of others in line.

Anyway, looking through the posts, sounds like mine is more than likely a turbo failure: severe sudden loss of power while driving on highway, shudder / engine vibration, felt like trying to brake while mashing the accelerator, etc. Had to be flat-bedded to the dealership. Maybe I'll get an answer tomorrow (Monday). I'll be sure to post what the dealer says it is.

BTW, FTE rules and the information here will hopefully help me when the dealer says that the problem with my truck is due to tire pressure or something!

Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 AM
03f2506.0
Senior User
I had a new "updated turbo" put in June 20th. Ford said the vanes are tapered to prevent sticking. This is the 2nd turbo, last one in July '05. They didn't say anything about a machined recess. Is that another turbo version? I sure hope Ford finely gets it right soon. I just purchased an extended 7 year warranty so I'am covered for another 2 additional years on my '03 diesel.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 AM
03f2506.0
Senior User
When my 2nd turbo failed Ford tech hotline stated that "with low mileage the vanes stick/seize". They told the service tech that "I should drive it like I stole it".

Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 AM
mrxlh
Postmaster
I didn't vote, as I never had my turbo replaced on my 03. I had always suspected it was bad, maybe intermittant. I had my egr unplugged. My 05 pulls stock like my 03 did with the scmt 1704. I had a sensor or 2 replaced on it after the injectors and ficm, but it ran good for 40,000 miles after the injectors. Best I could get towing was 8mpg. On the 05 I am seeing 9-10mpg and it is not broke in yet. I can tell you this much.

I would like to link OCI, diesel fuel quality and or fuel additive used. Although in no way is this scientific, it has been discussed here before. I drained my 03 seperator on a constant basis, even changing fuel sources several times. My location was on the Gulf Coast. I now live in NorthWest Louisiana. I have yet to have my water in fuel light come on. I drain it every oil change to see whats in it, never more than a drop of water. I am using powerservice in every tank, and have been since the truck was new.

Keith you may start a poll "Turbo Failures with or without fuel additives."

Ryan

Old 07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
ABN-RGR
New User
Update: Dealer just called and said #1 injector was bad. Haven't picked it up yet to verify that it runs correctly but just wanted to let everyone know.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Campmaster
New User
Unhappy

My Turbo just went out on my '05, with 15K miles. Mostly used for towing my 11K pound 5th wheel, otherwise mostly sits. After turbo was replaced, the next 7% hill (within 60 miles of the repair) the hose clamp snaped right at the turbo. No power to climb with the 5er behind me..blown smoke...bad.

Truck at the dealer now....

~CMT

Quick Reply: Poll For Owners With Turbo Failures