1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What to do?

As most everyone knows, I recently bought a 53 F-750 firetruck . I am now wondering if I should just turn around and sell it. I really don't want to, as it would be an awesome family project. I don't know what to do. What do you think guys? If I do decide to sell it, I don't know where to start for a price. I didn't pay much for it, but it's worth a lot more than I paid. It is rust and damage free, and only has 6874.5 original verifiable miles on it. It has the original 279, and everything is functioning. I wanted to get it, and donate it to the high school next year for a project (I would be donating it as a school project, but not for them to keep the truck). I guess my desperation in trying to get it here from Iowa is making a mess out of things for me . Some times this crap makes me wish I were still in the Army. I'm confused, hurt, and my hopes are quickly diminishing . I need the help of my fellow FTE brothers to get me through this . I can't seem to make things go smoothly enough to get here, and I don't know what I am going to do.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you just drive it home? Have someone with a truck full of tools follow you.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:13 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
It's 1900 miles. It would be cheaper to get it hauled, but I am having trouble getting hauling it arranged. I considered driving it, but with the cost of fuel, and the poor MPG, and the fact that the front metal is too hard to replace, I would be risking a lot attempting to drive it. I'm less concerned about the truck making it, than I am the other motorists along the way. I would be basically screwed if anything happened to it, like an accident or mechanical failure along the way. If I had the time to wait, i would just wait until my F-800 semi is finished, and I would go back and get it myself, but I do not have that kind of time. I secured the truck last November, and the guy has been very cooperative. I don't want to take advantage of his generousity for too long. I don't know what to do. I guess I am just feeling really bummed out that I was hoping to have it enroute to Oregon by the end of this month, and things aren't going as planned.

Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmjoe1953
It's 1900 miles. It would be cheaper to get it hauled, but I am having trouble getting hauling it arranged. I considered driving it, but with the cost of fuel, and the poor MPG, and the fact that the front metal is too hard to replace, I would be risking a lot attempting to drive it. I'm less concerned about the truck making it, than I am the other motorists along the way. I would be basically screwed if anything happened to it, like an accident or mechanical failure along the way. If I had the time to wait, i would just wait until my F-800 semi is finished, and I would go back and get it myself, but I do not have that kind of time. I secured the truck last November, and the guy has been very cooperative. I don't want to take advantage of his generousity for too long. I don't know what to do. I guess I am just feeling really bummed out that I was hoping to have it enroute to Oregon by the end of this month, and things aren't going as planned.
Joseph,

Buy a plane ticket and go get it - like next week. Bring a firend, drive the truck home, and quit worrying about the cost to do it. Look at it as an adventure/vacation and enjoy the thrill of driving it 1900 miles to get it home. If you were really worried about being fiscally responsible, you would have never purchased the truck in the first place and you wouldn't own the others you have. It's OK to do this becasue you want to. If you try to justufy everything you do on the truck in financial terms, you will never be happy doing this.

I purchased my 2003 F-250 in Spokane, WA. I got to visit my sister while there, stopped into to see a boyhod friend in Cheyenne, WY on the way home, and had 30 hours of seat time in the truck through deserts, mountains, forests, plains, and praries before I ever got it home. Temperatures ranged from -5* in Cheyenne to 80* in Houston when I arrived at home. I would do it again in a minute. Wish I had known that you were going to find me that F2 up there six short months later so I could have towed it home behind me. As you know, I was prepared to come up there to get it until I lucked into a deal with the previous owner. But that was just dumb luck. Go get yours and make arrrangements to do it today.

Last edited by texan2004; 04-19-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:15 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Joseph,

I think Carl makes a good point. It sounds like you are over thinking this and then get hung up on the' "what might happen" stuff. I say just jump in there and get it done.

Here's another thought for you. You mentioned having trouble arranging shipping form where it is to Oregon. Have you considered arranging shipping form where it is to anyplace along the way? I know that sometimes its tough to find an empty truck going to certain destinations. Try and alternate destination, maybe something within 500 miles of you and then drive it the rest of the way. I bet you could find an FTE member's house that you could drop it at if need be. If I were anywhere along the route I would gladly do what I could to help move it down the line.

Make it happen!
Bobby

Old 04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
See an independent insurance agent and buy some insurance on it - if you are driving it just insure it as a truck, or buy some trip insurance if you are towing it. Be upfront and tell him just what you are doing, and that there is no commercial towing company involved.

Also, have you tried to get the railroad to load it onto a flat car? Someone would need to deliver it to the railhead, and it would be better if it could be driven onto the car.

Two things you have to admit to yourself - the first is that the reason you got it so cheap is the cost of transporting it, and, second, that you were the highest bidder - you were willing to pay the most - for it. If you try to resell it you might not even get your money back.

I know that sometimes people can make money buying and selling, but not often. Your chances of doing that with distressed goods are not good.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
low54
Elder User
Joe- You got to do what your feeling deep down, Your in this because of your "love," for these old trucks! You been doing your whole life, its in your blood. Take a trip, make it an adventure. That's what these old truks are, an adventure. Their story is what keeps guys like us chatting every day to one another! Take one of your kids, make it an adventure for the both of ya...They'll never forget it!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:01 PM
jgurland
Senior User
Joe-

I think these guys are all giving you great advice. I don't have any great philosphical words to add to theirs, but I just want to be another voice saying "Go for it!". I wish I could take time off work and, heck, I'd come out there and drive it with you.

Life's too short. Take the plunge, drive the thing home. I bet you can find FTE members all along the way who would be willing to be "on call" as you pass through their towns in case you get stuck and need some tools or a hot meal. Do it, man!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
You guys are probably right. Let me do some figuring. I would love to just go get it. If I go to get it, I'll have to post up a forum thread a bit in advance to make sure I can get help as needed along the way. I'm still checking about getting it hauled, and hopefully that will work out too. We'll see.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
So Carl, you buy the tickets, and I'll meet you there. I'll pay for the gas on the return trip.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
My two suggestions:

1) If you want a high school to have a project (like your first post indicates), why not find one in Iowa, where it is at, and see if they would be interested in it as a project. This would give you some time to save up some money to have it delivered or drive it home to Oregon.

2) Drive it cross country in its current condition. That's what stories are made of

Old 04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
My two suggestions:

1) If you want a high school to have a project (like your first post indicates), why not find one in Iowa, where it is at, and see if they would be interested in it as a project. This would give you some time to save up some money to have it delivered or drive it home to Oregon.

2) Drive it cross country in its current condition. That's what stories are made of
I know the shop teacher at my local high school. And, I think a cross country trip in a 53 Ford F-750 fire truck could be a box office smash. Lets see.....The misadventures of Big Job Joe and his old fire truck. HHMMM, that sounds like it could be a winner. Anyone got Spilbergs number? Or maybe it's something Mel Gibson would take on.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Be sure to get the siren and lights working before you start the trip to ensure you get the most out of your adventure.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by texan2004
Be sure to get the siren and lights working before you start the trip to ensure you get the most out of your adventure.
Now you're talkin!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:47 PM
F6Guy
Elder User
It is better to have driven an f-700 fire truck and broke down than to have never driven an f-700 fire tuck at all. Go get that truck or it will just be that girl you never asked out that still haunts your dreams at night. Buy the way thank you for your patience.

Quick Reply: What to do?