Distributor Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 PM
kc5hwb
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distributor Suggestions

I need a new dizzy cause mine burned up. No really, it caught fire this morning after a fuel line burst over top of it and the flames melted the cap to the rotor to the base to the dizzy. I think that is the only major thing that was damaged though, so I am thankful.

I have a 400M engine
Comp 265DEH Cam
Edlebrock performer intake w/ AFB 625 carb
2v heads with minor port/polish job.
Badger flattops and heads together make about 9.2:1 CR.

I am thinking of this dizzy...
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Can someone recommend a better one or tell me is this will be a good choice?

Last edited by kc5hwb; 04-17-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:50 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran the Mallory for a few years. It was OK. Now I have a Procomp. Mine is a TFI model for EFI, but they have several models that fit 335 series and 385 series motors. They are usually priced less than the Mallory. Here is a link.

http://www.procompelectronics.com/

I believe that Tim Meyer sells Procomp.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
The big problem with aftermarket stuff is replacement parts. You can get the OEM stuff anywhere off the shelf but a lot of the other stuff requires a wait overnight or sometimes days depending on how far you are from a warehouse. You can also get OEM type parts tested at the parts store usually for free. The OEM Duraspark system has a start retard system that helps reduce the strain on the starter especially for hot starts.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:41 PM
kc5hwb
Tuned
Yes, I thought about that, but I want an upgraded dizzy. I had the stock one in here for the last year, and want to upgrade it to match the rest of the truck. Eventually I would like to add the hi-fire box also.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
WIREPULLER
Junior User
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've talked with a few ppl, and they recommended the MSD system. Below is the one I'm picking up tomorrow.

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_20.htm

Old 04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
kc5hwb
Tuned
MSD is good I know. I have known more people who run Mallory, but I know that MSD is very good also.

Here is one for the M Series motors.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:12 AM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kc5hwb
MSD is good I know. I have known more people who run Mallory, but I know that MSD is very good also.

Here is one for the M Series motors.

I believe the 8580 is the MSD dizzy I have in my 410 in my '53. Given that it is a mechanical advance, I wouldn't go that route again. The consensus seems to be that you get worse gas mileage with these than you do with vacuum advance dizzy's. However, even with all the mods I have done to my 400, it still gets about 11-12 mpg, which is what my stock 400 gets in my '79.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Vacuum advance is required for proper part throttle operation where a street truck spends most of it's time. Mechanical advance units without vacuum advance should be used on wide open throttle racing applications only.

Upgrade??? The stock DS-II ignition system will outperform many aftermarket units up to about 5500RPM. The aftermarket units have made some compromises that allow them to operate at higher RPMs for racing.

Are you guys operating your engines at 6000+ RPM a majority of the time or do you just want cosmetic "bling"?

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-18-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:05 AM
kc5hwb
Tuned
I don't want that MSD one, because of the mechanical advance.

Are you telling me that the stock dizzy in my 78 351M that was built with 8.0:1 CR and 140HP will out-perform a brand new design Mallory unit? I am not saying you are wrong, but that seems hard to imagine.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:55 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
If the DS-II is worn out, -of course not. The stock DS-II system will outperform the bling units over the normal operating RPM range if it has been rebuilt to OEM specs. The stock system was set up to operate an engine with maximum efficiency and reliability over the normal operating RPM range. The OEM's had warranty claims, emissions requirements, and CAFE among other things to worry about. They did a nice job on the DS-II. You will have to adjust the advance curve on any distributor to work with your new engine specs. The Mallory unit will outperform the DS-II system above ~5500RPM, but then that is not even close to the normal operating RPM for a 351M.

Please don't perceive the advertising hype and shiny bling as making anything better. Just because a design is "new" or a part is used for "racing" does not make it any better for a particular application. Choose your parts wisely... -But if you want bling by all means buy bling! Many "racing" parts would not survive the rigors of a daily driver and they certainly cost a whole lot more, but they are sure purdy...

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-18-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:38 AM
danlee
Postmaster
The aftermarket dizzys are easier to adjust the advance curve in both mechanical advance and vacuum advance. Many DSII units will have too much advance built-in for non-EGR operation.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM
kc5hwb
Tuned
Originally Posted by Torque1st
If the DS-II is worn out, -of course not. The stock DS-II system will outperform the bling units over the normal operating RPM range if it has been rebuilt to OEM specs. The stock system was set up to operate an engine with maximum efficiency and reliability over the normal operating RPM range. The OEM's had warranty claims, emissions requirements, and CAFE among other things to worry about. They did a nice job on the DS-II. You will have to adjust the advance curve on any distributor to work with your new engine specs. The Mallory unit will outperform the DS-II system above ~5500RPM, but then that is not even close to the normal operating RPM for a 351M.

Please don't perceive the advertising hype and shiny bling as making anything better. Just because a design is "new" or a part is used for "racing" does not make it any better for a particular application. Choose your parts wisely... -But if you want bling by all means buy bling! Many "racing" parts would not survive the rigors of a daily driver and they certainly cost a whole lot more, but they are sure purdy...
Thanks, thats what I was looking for. I do like the "look" of the new dizzy, but that isn't my optimum goal. No, I won't be operating the engine over 5500 rpm. But it isn't a stock build either. And I have removed the EGR from my new engine, so I was thinking that I should go with a non-EGR dizzy (the same as my Edlebrock Performer 400 intake and carb). But if this isn't the case, I would rather go with whatever matches/performs better on the engine I have now.

Originally Posted by danlee
The aftermarket dizzys are easier to adjust the advance curve in both mechanical advance and vacuum advance. Many DSII units will have too much advance built-in for non-EGR operation.
Yes, I knew this, hence another reason I wanted aftermarket. I want a vacuum advance unit to replace the one I just removed.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
kc5hwb
Tuned
Would you guys suggest getting a DSII unit from Ford? Or somewhere else?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 AM
danlee
Postmaster
Procomp makes a MSD knock-off for a lot less $.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
TMI
Posting Guru
We do have new aftermarket Dura-spark dist. available. Depending on your requirements, they also have a harness that you can put an MSD box on your Dura-spark.