2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slippage/Shudder Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 PM
b4bob
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slippage/Shudder When Turning--04 F150

While test driving a used 2004 SuperCrew Lariat F150 (only 20,500 miles), I noticed an obvious slippage/shudder during low speed turns. I informed the salesman (Cadillac dealership) of the problem and he assured me that since the Truck was still within the warranty period the problem would be resolved prior to completing the sale. The Truck is currently at a Ford dealership for servicing of this issue. I've since found that this appears to be a known issue with multiple associated TSBs and Consumer Complaints. The truck is beautiful otherwise, extremely clean, and loaded with options. The price is pretty low. The vehicle has had only one owner who traded it and another vehicle in for an Escalade. It has a clean Carfax. Is this a problem that is well known and, if so, should I steer clear of this vehicle or hope that once the problem is fixed it will not reappear?

Last edited by b4bob; 04-12-2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Clarificaton
Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 PM
ford9c
Senior User
Unhappy

It may be why the price is low and why the previous owner traded it in. You should be able to get the dealership to run a vin check that will show all the dealer repair work done to the truck. I have my own problem child 04 f150 - vibes, tranny issues, rear diff issues, slow to react throttle, brake problems, fit and finish problems etc etc. I am the original owner still under the 3 year 36 warranty and I have to bring it in at least 2x for every issue before ford will attempt to try to fix the problem. Ford doesn't stand by its warranties anymore. I also plan on trading in this pig very shortly with only 7,500 miles on it. Will probably seem too good to be true to the next potential buyer. Be very careful, these issues can and will come back even if they are able to fix the truck before you buy it. I say move on unless the slipping / shuddering doesn't bother you too much. One other thing. The new plug design that Ford used on the new 04 3v 5.4l engine has them getting stuck in the head when the plugs are changed. Most 04 owners are recommending a plug change to the revised style plugs before 30k miles. Otherwise the plugs may just have to stay in permanently. Just one more thing to keep in mind.

Last edited by ford9c; 04-12-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:46 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome b4bob to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 AM
fomocojoe101
Senior User
Good luck, getting any acceptable warranty repairs, it seems to be common practice to turn a blind eye, and deaf ear to any issues you may have! Too bad f o r d has forgotten how to take care of their customers, one day, in the near future, it will bite them in the butt!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:42 PM
dwray47
New User
I agree I think Ford since the 2004's were built has turned their back on the customer. I also believe that part of this reason is the dealers do not know how to fix them because Ford enginers have no clue how to fix them. The new design really has caused them problems, The suppension on a lot of these trucks are stiffer and they cannot handle the vibration. I am not taking up for Ford because I have a 2006 XLT SCREW that has its on problems. I do not think the dealers know where to start and mine will not even attempt to start unless there is a TSB on the issue. I know a lot of the new trucks have a high idle problem and the trucks seem to move pretty good on their on, good thingsthey have brakes tp stop them but there is no TSB to repair them so they will not even attempt. I am not happy at all with my new truck, High idle, tire or vibe problem, a shudder sometimes turning a corner, and now seems like 1 gear is winning out and only 4000 miles. It does not bother Ford that they sell mess like this and then cannot fix them. I agree that this will and already has bitten then in the tail. If they keep it up they might get a bad case of rabies and roll over dead and if they do it is their own fault.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:20 AM
New2004Lariat
Freshman User
Ford knows how to fix the problems......the dealers do not take the time to use the tools and the TSBs they have to fix them.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 AM
BruceFX4
Senior User
Test drive the truck again after the repair. The problem could be the driveline splines needing lube and or the clutch packs in the differential if it has a limited slip. Have the Cad dealer get the Ford dealer doing the repairs to print off a warranty history of the truck.

I have an 04 FX4 that has been in for warranty work once and it was a PCM reflash. Not all F150s have problems and not all dealers' service departments suck.

Also, what appears to be a low price may just be reality. I checked Edmunds last week on my truck and retail was within $3K of what I paid for it; when 06s are selling for close to high book on an 04 there is a problem in the used price guides. It is very possible that it is a good truck and the Cad dealer has a sharp used car guy that takes the trades in right and wants to move inventory.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TSB 06-4-4 addresses your issue. This TSB is to install a new clutch pack and change the diff fluid from the factory 75w90 to 75W140 along with friction modifier.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:20 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
KevinM is correct. And I do use the proper tools and tsb's to repair the vehicles! Sometimes it is nice to have understanding customers as well.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Service?

Yes, depends on the dealers. I have had good service with mine!

Last edited by Rancheroracer; 04-18-2006 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM
dwray47
New User
Ranger 88
I agree about the understanding customers. I have been very professional and polite about everything. The problem is is when I tell them what I am experiencing all I here is we do not have a TSB for that and we cannot do anything about it Or that is the way it is suppose to drive. This is the 4th Ford pickup I have owned two from the dealer i am talking about and two from another. I am a Ford customer and have been for the last 20 years. When all you hear is it drives that way or that is the way it is suppose to act or there is no TSB so I will log it but I cannot fix it then it is time to let your voice be known. I went to Ford with a vib problem with 500 miles on my truck and it now has almost 4000. All they did was balance and overflate my tires to 44 lbs..I agree on how the customer acts but I am not going to beg to fix a truck that has 4000 miles on it and still under warrenty. If they would fix it then I would not even bother them except for oil changes and scheduled maint. I have been very patient with them but that is starting to wear out. Thanks for your reply

Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
ranger88a
Elder User
dwray47, I do understand your situation. It is nice to have an understanding customer. I won't disagree that it is frustrating for the customer when a problem cannot seem to be solved, however, it is just as frustrating for me as a tech. I call ford engineering for help and get none or very little at times. You have to understand, I cant just throw parts at it because ford wont pay for it. If I suspect a problem part, replace it and ford asks for it back just to find nothing wrong with it in thier book we get charged back for it.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 PM
dwray47
New User
Ranger 88A
Thanks for writing back. I truley understand what the tecs and mechanics are going through. Believe me the fellow that is helping me is doing all he can do. It is not him I am mad at, and I know his hands are tied. I will cointinue to be patient and work this thing out if I cannot I will get the Factory Rep involved and if that does no good then there are other ways. But that is what I was saying if Ford Management deals with customers this way and will not take care of them. How can they expect to have customers return. I know If I do not get this one fixed I will not be back because of the hassel. That is really ashame because I can tell you that my last three you could have not asked for a better vechicle. Even with all of my negative thoughts I have about my new truck I know Ford trucks are the best on the market that is why I bought another one, but I did not do my homework as good as I should have If I had i would have test driven plenty of them and found one that suited me from the start.But I would have bought a ford anyway because of they are the safest truck on the road no one even comes close to them. I also bought this truck from this dealer because of the service dept. I could brag on them and aslo recommended them to plenty of people. Because of our messages I now understand why things have changed. Thanks for being honest and making me realize that my service manager is trying to help and is for me and not against me.
Thanks for all of your help

Old 04-20-2006, 10:09 AM
ranger88a
Elder User
dwray47, I'm glad to see your an understanding customer with the tech. I also realize your situation, and I do feel a loyal customer or any for that matter should get treated with respect. I do wish ford would allow more help from engineering as far as having a field engineer handy in difficult situations. We can get them to come out, but, it tends to be difficult. I just hope your problem is handled and taken care of so a loyal customer isn't lost!!!