Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 05:44 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel tanks

hello everyone, i have a problem and i was wondering and hoping someone might have a answer, i have a 94 f 250 diesel and both tanks have rusted holes in them, i dont have the money right now for new tanks, i was wondering if tanks off a gas model f 250 will work? and will diesel fuel eat up fiberglass because i can patch them if the fiberglass will work for a while. any help would be great.

thanks
john

Old 04-08-2006, 07:12 PM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used that fiber mesh and resin stuff to repair diesel tanks before, I'm sure bondo will work for a short term repair. The biggest problem your going to have is to get the area cleaned of diesel fuel. I've used bondo on oil pans and its lasted for years.
I'm not sure on the tank swap someone will respond before too long.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 PM
edsofish
Freshman User
Hello John, Instead of using urethane based products for patching such as styrene type resins, I would try epoxy based materials. I don't know how extensive the rust problem you have is, but, for a replacement to bondo ( that absorbs water and falls off eventually) would be something calle Splash Zone. It is a two part material found at marine supply stores made by Z Spar.

When you mix it, use a pail of water and wet your hands completely. Reach into the can and take a half portion of what you need of the black part and a half portion of what you need of the yellow part and put both pieces in your hand in the water. With a twisting and pulling motion continue to mix the pieces together, occasionally dipping your hands into the water to keep the stuff from sticking to your hands, until it turns a dark green color. You will have about 20 minutes to work the stuff and maybe a bit longer depending on the temperature.

You can use the water to smoothe the surface and form the putty to the desired clean surface. This will probably work for some time. I know people that use it in the tanks of their boats and they use it for a PERMANENT fix. LOL

If you want to put a cloth and epoxy resin patch over the putty there should be no problem.

Just my idea. I hope it works for you.

All the best. -ED

Old 04-08-2006, 09:14 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just switched a 92 Gas to diesel, and reused the tanks with different senders. The hole size is the same.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:21 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tanks will not fit right. I tried this b/c someone at a junkyard told me they would fit. The problem is gasoline tanks do not have return lines while diesel tanks do.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:46 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gasoline senders have the fuel pump attached, so no, straight replacement won't happen, but they do have return lines... but if you reuse the senders from your diesel tanks, they fit just fine. I put 86 diesel senders into 92 gasoline tanks, so I know for a fact they will work.There is 2 lines into a gas tank, and then the vapor vent hose to the charcoal canister. Maybe in the old days there wasn't return lines, but the 92 tanks I was working with has one. But still, with the senders being reused from the old tanks, this is not an issue.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:02 AM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
thanks for all the info i will try to get a used tank because i am using my old senders, but if the junk yard wants to much i will fiberglass i only use the matt and the resin, and long or short hair fiberglass putty i dont like the old bondooooo, never had much luck with that stuff LOL, but i will try to patch the tank if the used tank is to high in price