Is my speedo shot or is it something worse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:02 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my speedo shot or is it something worse?

Ok, I finished installing a limited slip in the rear end of my 95 F150 2wd. When I took it for a test drive I noticed that the speedo needle bounces around a lot while trying to hold a steady speed (like 5-10 mph bounces). When it does this the RPM's stay the same and it doesn't really surge or anything, at least not that I can really tell.

First, is it ok to drive it like this til Monday? When I was taking the ring gear off my old case I bunged up the teeth on the tone ring a little, but I was told that ring is only for the RABS. My instructor told me that it was the VSS on the side of the tranny. Does this mean the actual sensor is going out and I need to unscrew it and replace it?

Basically I am looking for any sort of help right now. I have no idea what to do now and I need to know if it will hurt the truck, since this is my daily driver and I cant afford to have it out of commision for more than an afternoon or Sunday.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:27 PM
fordflaresides
Elder User
Did you change gears too? This usually requires installing a different speedo to get the speedometer to work right.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 PM
wickymustang
Posting Guru
No I pulled the ring gear and tone ring off the old case and installed them onto the new case. Same gear ratio, just now with LS.