For Those of You with Gibson Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Studenut65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Those of You with Gibson Headers

Hello all,
I have a question for the guys with Gibson headers. Since the stock exhaust manifold bolts keep breaking and are 100 bucks to upgrade to the new stainless steel ones, Im thinking that now might be the time to upgrade to shorty headers. I really like the Banks Power Pack, but there is no way I can afford that. Anyhow, how do ya'll like your gibson headers and what changes in performance have you noticed with them? Are they worth the money? Also, how difficult are they to put on? Have you noticed them throwing any codes or idiot lights? Thanks all.

Nate

Old 04-07-2006, 10:31 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
BUMP! Come on guys, SOMEONE has to have the Gibson (or the cheapo Ebay knockoffs) and can help this guy!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Studenut65
Senior User
Thansks Krewat,
Come on guys, chime in...not all at once

Old 04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
bucky440
Senior User
I have real Gibsons that I bought on ebay. They don't use the stock studs, you remove studs and use supplied bolts. Come with high quality gaskets. Fit well, line up with stock Y pipe well. Installation is a B---H!. (I didn't remove my front drive shaft as instructed for install, but I don't think that would have made any difference.)Access to some of the bolt heads is a challenge, but it is a one day job. I have only had to retighten once (per instructions). No problem with any codes or other compatibility issues. Gone about 4,500 miles since install. Also have Gibson Swept Side cat back system on truck. Sounds nice, not loud or obnoxious. Since I had already "chipped" engine and gone to a K&N intake system, I didn't notice much change in everyday driving, but when you jump on it you can feel it at higher rpm.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 PM
robottommy
Freshman User
I have a set of the ebay knock-offs. i am in the process of installing them. As, they didn't have the EGR port, I had to put on in. Then came the removal of the rusty studs. I have one thing to say. If you are going to do it. Do it early.... Meaning don't wait like I did till the truck is 6 years old, and it's a pain in the back side to get the studs out. I hope it will run better once it's all done or my wife will kill me, as I got sick during this project and she blames it.
just my $0.02.....

Old 04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
captchas
ford racing here they look like the gibson. went on easy. but not worth it to me. i lost power low end and got it back top end. then mine is a 3valve motor .

Old 04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Studenut65
Senior User
Well,
My truck is 7 years old, so that means Im in for a tough job as far as studs are concerned. Are the ebay ones good or should I just spend the extra 300 and get Gibson, a name brand header? Also, Id like to keep my stock intake (running a K&N filter in it though) and my stock exhaust as both are in fine shape. I think once my exhaust needs changing, Ill go with gibson cat back or something of the like. Bucky 440, how much was the cat back exhaust, if you dont mind me asking? Thanks all,

Nate

Old 04-07-2006, 01:42 PM
captchas
if you want gibson there is a gibson seller in ebay. true gibson for about 1/2 the price. infact when i looked the seller had the same zip code as gibson . makes one wonder?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:17 PM
bucky440
Senior User
I got the true Gibson headers on ebay the one time someone else was bidding against me, but still cheaper than anywhere else. Usually they open at under half list. They come with EGR port and I had to use the plug as my Ex doesn't have it. Noticed no loss on the bottom end at all. As far as the old studs, my Ex is an 04 and had 15,000 miles on it and I had to use vice-grips to remove the studs. I don't think age was a factor in it, just they way they are installed in the heads. The cat back cost about $400 in stainless, I shopped on line for a while. You could save $ and just install the Gibson mufler on the stock pipes, with some extensions as the stock muffler is much longer. The stock exhaust on my Ex was already 3 inch and the routing was the same as the Gibson. Saved a lot of weight getting rid of the stock muffler. That instal lwas a snap. Remove right rear shock asnd the stock muffler and pipes come off in one piece to save for reuse or sell. Avoids cutting.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
captchas
on mine i used a 04 flow master kit, added up front and made my own hangers up by welding rod the size and shape of the stock ones welded them up to hangers to hold every thing up. nice neat bends not like a custom made with a poor bender kinks . my headers where a gift so i can bitch.
i had thought about true duals useing my old cats . before i replaced my front y but deceided not to see what they sound like . and replaced the pipe assembly instead

Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Incase you didn't know, you can buy the Banks headers seperate from the full blow Powerpack. Borla makes a nice setup too.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:51 PM
captchas
wish i could find out who makes for ford racing. sure look like the coated gibson to me.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Studenut65
Senior User
Thanks guys,
Ill check with the guy on ebay. Im not going for full out high performance. I just want something that will increase power a bit and look nice when I pop the hood. Plus, the economics of the thing - 100 bucks for new studs or New Headers for only a few hundred bucks more. Thanks all.

Nate

Old 04-08-2006, 04:37 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Trust me, I'm waiting for mine to break so I can do the header thing too Easier to get it by the wife ...

Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
captchas
the headers come with new bolts so you should not need new studs .
if any wants to read more 05-05-04 is the tdb for a 5.4 i can't find a v10 one and for a 5.4 it states replace maniflod and all studs on the bad bank. just resurface the maniflod .

Quick Reply: For Those of You with Gibson Headers